Windows 10: removable hard drive is too slow

Discus and support removable hard drive is too slow in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; My hard drive sometimes stay at 30MB/s, but it also sometimes stays at 1MB/s. I get 30MB/s very rarely so I decided to go to properties of hard drive... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by zakkey, Nov 20, 2018.

1. zakkey Win User

removable hard drive is too slow

My hard drive sometimes stay at 30MB/s, but it also sometimes stays at 1MB/s. I get 30MB/s very rarely so I decided to go to properties of hard drive and change it to better performance. After this for the first few seconds it is 100-60MB/s but it will soon drop to 1MB/s and even 0bytes/s.

How can I make my hard drive stay at 100-60MB/s or even 30? The hard drive is not very old, it was bought this year and is a Transcend hard drive. I even stopped few things in the background using task manager but it also did not seem to change anything.

:)

zakkey, Nov 20, 2018

2. Slow hard drive

Yeah...it's a Maxtor *Stick Out Tongue removable hard drive is too slow :p. Okay fine maybe the drive is good. I remember when I had problems with my WD SATA2 drive being crazy. Remember to...
    • Remove any external drives, that makes windows go CRAZY.
    • Correctly set jumpers, there should be some documentation on top of your hard drive.
    • Install SATA drivers for your chipset and make sure they are up to date.
    • Update your motherboard's BIOS.
    If none of those work, I wouldn't be surprised if you had a bad drive, and should return it ASAP.

zekrahminator, Nov 20, 2018
  3. Slow hard drive

I don't know how it slows it down, I just know that windows goes crazy if I have my USB drive in my computer while trying to boot windows *Laugh :laugh:. And I got the list trick off of Wazzledoozle.

zekrahminator, Nov 20, 2018
  4. removable hard drive is too slow

Overclock your hard drive!!!

Heres a much easier hack that I realized quite a few years ago that really does work!

REQUIREMENTS:
    • Hard drive with molex power connection.
    • PSU with more than 1 strand that has molex plugs on it.
    • Wire strippers, soldering iron if you're fancy, electrical tape if you're not.
    STEPS:
    • Take the strand of connectors from your PSU, and decide which one will be the donator for this overclocking adventure.
    • Cut the yellow and orange cables, then twist them together.
    • Find the power connector you've chosen as the overclocking connector, and release the orange cable from the connector. Now use your preferred method to bind them together, then place it back together.
    • Plug in a drive and feel the speed!
    Congratulations! You've just overclocked your hard drive!

Sir B. Fannybottom, Nov 20, 2018
Thema:

removable hard drive is too slow

1. removable hard drive is too slow - Similar Threads - removable hard drive

2. Hard drive very slow

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Hard drive very slow: I recently got a new HDD. It was a replacement for my old 500GB seagate momentus thin. but the problem is, with the new Toshiba 1TB HDD I got, The speeds are very slow. I use a website that compares pc parts and it says the new HDD is...
  3. Hard drive very slow

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hard drive very slow: I recently got a new HDD. It was a replacement for my old 500GB seagate momentus thin. but the problem is, with the new Toshiba 1TB HDD I got, The speeds are very slow. I use a website that compares pc parts and it says the new HDD is...
  4. Hard drive very slow

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Remove hard drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Remove hard drive: I have a laptop that Im giving away. The person Im giving it to had an SSD drive to install in it. Its Windows 10 If I remove the drive will my documents be able to be read an another laptop. ? Im aiming to use it as a storage drive. 173925
  6. External Hard Drive Is Slow

External Hard Drive Is Slow: Is there a bug in the Windows or hardware interface to external hard drives? This question has been asked indirectly in nearly every forum over the last decade and is usually associated with image backups of any sort. Why the focus on image backups? Because they take...
  7. Hard Drive Too Slow

Hard Drive Too Slow: My hard disk is too slow. I even changed the SATA port once. But still copying files is slow and task manager is showing the disk usage at 100% when files are being copied. I checked with CrystalDiskInfo and it says Caution as in the image. Please help me fix this issue....
  8. Gaming on a removable hard drive.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Gaming on a removable hard drive.: Good morning. This may be a silly question...so feel free to laugh *Smile I have a gaming rig with a 120 gig solid state drive. With the latest World of Warcraft expansion, I am at 101 gigs just in WoW alone, so it's time to remove WoW from my solid state. I have a...
  9. Too many Partitions on hard drive

Too many Partitions on hard drive: Hello, I have a Dell XPS 18, Upgraded from from Win 8 to Win 10. I have a Seagate ST500LT012-9WS14S. It is NOT a SSD. The system works just fine. My hard drive is a mess!! I have cloned the hard drive but I need to make space on my C: drive. When I look at the...
  10. hard drive slow to poplulate

hard drive slow to poplulate: I have a 1 terabyte data drive. When I first click on the drive's icon it takes about 10 seconds for the icons to populate. After that it pops right up. I used Western Digital lifeguard . checks okay. I turned off indexing. I set customized folders to General. Is...