Windows 10: Removable USB Drive Showing as Read only in Disk Management but not in DiskPart

Discus and support Removable USB Drive Showing as Read only in Disk Management but not in DiskPart in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; So about a year ago I made this drive into a recovery drive. However, the last time my computer had an issue that would require this drive, it didn't... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by SkeetSkeet123, Jan 20, 2020.

1. Removable USB Drive Showing as Read only in Disk Management but not in DiskPart

So about a year ago I made this drive into a recovery drive. However, the last time my computer had an issue that would require this drive, it didn't show up as a recovery drive when plugged in. I have decided that I would like to reuse this drive however when I attempted to format it, it said it was write-protected. I have tried numerous things that I have found online to try to remove this and none of them worked. I tried one strategy which involved the use of diskpart. Now if I check diskpart, it says the drive does not have the attribute read-only, but if I check in Disk Management it says the drive is Read-only. The Drive doesn't even show up when I check under devices and drives in This PC. Is there anything I can do?

:)

SkeetSkeet123, Jan 20, 2020

2. Disk showing in Disk Management, But not DiskPart

Hello!

So, today I was doing a friend a favor, he had an old 1TB hard drive with important photos on it. He said he would appreciate it if I could move the photos to a different hard drive.

So, I hooked it up to my self-built PC (with a SATA port) and it didn't show up in file explorer.

So, I checked Disk Management to see if it would show up there, and it did. I later realized why it didn't show up in file explorer (Because it didn't have a drive letter). In Disk Management, I right clicked the primary partition only to find that it wouldn't
    let me assign a drive letter.

I remembered there was another way to assign drive letters, with DiskPart. So I typed this into Command Prompt:

diskpart > list volume

In DiskPart, It showed the drive's EFI system partition (partition 1) but not the (Healthy) Primary Partition (partition 2).

Also in DiskPart, I could type "list disk" and it would show me the 1TB drive, if I then typed "list partition" it would show me the different partitions, but wouldn't let me assign a drive letter to them.

In summary, Disk Management showed the partition, but wouldn't assign a drive letter. DiskPart showed the partition 1, but not the primary partition.

My objective is to show the photos located on the 1TB drive's 2nd partition without erasing it.

I would be happy to add pictures if necessary.

Thanks!

John-Louis Barton, Jan 20, 2020
  3. Disk Management Shows USB Drive but All Tasks are Grayed Out

Hi Chris,

I realize the inconvenience you are facing with Diskpart. I will certainly help you.

I appreciate your efforts in troubleshooting the USB drive.

Please follow the below steps:

• Check if you see USB drive in file explorer.
    • If yes, please refer to the below link to create a recovery media:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...3a5-a286-9e98f886d490/create-a-recovery-drive

If the issue still persists, try repairing the USB disk and check if it helps.
    Follow the below steps:

• Press Windows logo key + X key and select
      Command prompt (Admin).
    • Type diskpart and hit Enter.
    • Type list disk and hit Enter.
    • Repair the USB by type command repair disk= disk no. (Ex, if USB disk show at 3 then type repair disk=3)

After repairing the disk try creating system recovery drive again and check if it helps

Please reach back to us, if you still face difficulty with Diskpart. We will be happy to help you.

Thank you.

Mayank_Bhiwal, Jan 20, 2020
  4. Lazzer408 Win User

Removable USB Drive Showing as Read only in Disk Management but not in DiskPart

help. USB drive isn't assigned a drive letter.

Any usb flash drive I plug into my computer isn't assigned a drive letter. The physical drive shows in the "safely remove hardware" but it doesnt show up in disk management. I have tried to populate the volume thru the safely remove hardware properties window and it does pop up in the list but it doesn't stay there. This isn't a format or assign a letter problem. It's more complicated then that. Maybe one of the services needed for usb drive management was disabled? Suggestions needed. btw external usb harddrives work fine.

Lazzer408, Jan 20, 2020
Thema:

Removable USB Drive Showing as Read only in Disk Management but not in DiskPart

1. Removable USB Drive Showing as Read only in Disk Management but not in DiskPart - Similar Threads - Removable USB Drive

2. Disk Drive Will Only Read Certain Disks

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disk Drive Will Only Read Certain Disks: My Bd-Rom, which in Device Manager is a Optiarc BD-Rom BC-5500S ATA Device, It is Built in to my computer will only read Certain disks, I am trying to install a video game The Sims 2 Deluxe but it will only read my expansion pack disks, not the base game, and I have tried to...
  3. Disk Drive Will Only Read Certain Disks

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Disk Drive Will Only Read Certain Disks: My Bd-Rom, which in Device Manager is a Optiarc BD-Rom BC-5500S ATA Device, It is Built in to my computer will only read Certain disks, I am trying to install a video game The Sims 2 Deluxe but it will only read my expansion pack disks, not the base game, and I have tried to...
  4. External Hard disk not Showing up in disk management and diskpart

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External Hard disk not Showing up in disk management and diskpart: Hi, recently I wanted to format my fat32 external hard disk to NTFS. I copied the files and in between the copy was stopped and my laptop was hanged, when I unplugged the external hard disk the hang issue was sorted. When I again inserted my hard disk, it hung again, somehow,...
  5. External Hard disk not Showing up in disk management and diskpart

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    External Hard disk not Showing up in disk management and diskpart: Hi, recently I wanted to format my fat32 external hard disk to NTFS. I copied the files and in between the copy was stopped and my laptop was hanged, when I unplugged the external hard disk the hang issue was sorted. When I again inserted my hard disk, it hung again, somehow,...
  6. External Hard disk not Showing up in disk management and diskpart

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  7. Can't format USB even with Diskpart and disk management

Can't format USB even with Diskpart and disk management: Hi PeopleToday, I was creating a Windows Bootable USB using Rufus. While the creation was in progress at about 67% it stopped with the dialog box stating ".iso extraction failure." I opened 'This PC' and found that my USB was not listed there. When I reinserted my USB it...
  8. Disk management shows no media for usb drive

Disk management shows no media for usb drive: I just got a new usb drive, plugged it into my computer, and tried formatting it to ntfs. I got an error that said something like "formatting is taking too long; disk could not be formatted" but i dont remember exactly what it said. now whenever i plug in the drive, it shows...
  9. USB drive having SSD shows read only

USB drive having SSD shows read only: Recently, I connected a new SSD as a USB drive. It shows "Write Protected" in windows 10. However, same one if I connect to Windows 8.1, then the write protection is not there. Can not do driver update under windows 10 as it is write protected. Has anyone faced similar...
  10. A phantom removable drive is showing up in disk management

A phantom removable drive is showing up in disk management: There is no drive assigned. I wonder what it refers to? I've checked the registry but can't figure it out. How would I remove it? [img] 40439

Users found this page by searching for:

1. read only usb

2. removeable usb disk shows as readonly

3. usb drive is showing read only

4. removable disk became read only,
  5. USB IS ONLY ONLINE IN COMMAND BUT NOT IN DISK MANAGEMENT