Windows 10: Removal of custom default app

Discus and support Removal of custom default app in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I'm using Windows 10 Pro 1909 (18363.535). It seems that I can no longer select an arbitrary executable to open a specific file type. For example, I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by GregJ7, Jan 2, 2020.

1. GregJ7 Win User

Removal of custom default app

I'm using Windows 10 Pro 1909 (18363.535). It seems that I can no longer select an arbitrary executable to open a specific file type. For example, I have the portable version of the photo viewing app IrfanView on my hard disk, but there appears to be no way to make it my default photo viewing app. The last way that used to work appears to now be gone, which was: Right-click an example of the type of file I want to open (e.g., a .jpg), choose Open With -> Choose another app, (if your list is long, scroll to the bottom and choose "More apps"), then scroll to the bottom of the list of apps and choose Select an App on this PC, then you could choose anything on your hard disk. Now that feature has caught up with the obscene limitation of the other methods of only being able to choose an app from the Windows Store.

I can imagine Microsoft claiming it is for security reasons, but that's obviously not a good enough reason to be forced into their store. If I'm developing a new photo viewing app and want it to open as the default, nothing should be stopping me. Is there any way to choose a custom executable to open a file type with?

:)

GregJ7, Jan 2, 2020
  2. Callender Win User

Works for me in 1903. Even with the app stored on a USB key.

Removal of custom default app [​IMG]

It seems that the more apps option is missing for the OP.

Callender, Jan 2, 2020
  3. Bree Win User

Odd. This is what I see with 1909, build 18363.535.

Right-cilck on a .jpg and select Open with > Choose another app

scroll to the bottom and choose More apps. Tick the box for 'Always use this app to open .jpg files'. Scroll to the bottom and select 'Look for another app on this PC'.

Then browse to find Irfanview Portable.

Bree, Jan 2, 2020
  4. Callender Win User

Okay fixed for me.

How?

Right click Irfanview Portable executable and "Run as administrator"

Go to Options > Set File Associations.

Choose image formats only.

Result:

After the change:

Callender, Jan 2, 2020
Thema:

1. Removal of custom default app - Similar Threads - Removal custom default

2. How to remove deleted default app ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to remove deleted default app ?: I removed 7Zip from my computer, but 7Zip still appears on the "select an app" screen.I don't want to see the program I deleted there, how can I remove it?...
  3. remove default app by file type

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    remove default app by file type: microsoft let the default app for .nds files internet explorer, does anyone know how to reset the default app for .nds files to none? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/remove-default-app-by-file-type/314aba23-2f40-4dea-bfa6-2b579a31194a
  4. remove default app by file type

in Windows 10 Gaming
    remove default app by file type: microsoft let the default app for .nds files internet explorer, does anyone know how to reset the default app for .nds files to none? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/remove-default-app-by-file-type/314aba23-2f40-4dea-bfa6-2b579a31194a
  5. remove default app by file type

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. Add custom program to Default apps

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Add custom program to Default apps: Hi, I want to select a custom program as my music player, photo viewer and video player in the settings. Its a standalone .exe file. I know I can change it for a single file type using right click -> open with, but it would be easier if I could register the program to appear...
  7. remove default app

remove default app: How do I set there to be no default web browser program? I like to choose every time, but today I accidentally clicked Firefox when the "make this the default app" box was ticked. 161018
  8. CANT REMOVE A DEFAULT APP

CANT REMOVE A DEFAULT APP: Hi my Windows 10 default photo app has stopped working, I've tried to remove the app to reload, but it won't let me. I don't know how to access any of my photos now. can anyone help...
  9. Custom Start Menu & Metro App removal

in Windows 10 Customization
    Custom Start Menu & Metro App removal: I used to have the scripts that are listed all over the web within my Win10 deployment and it worked wonderfully. But now, it's not. And i'm not sure why. What's happening is, the metro apps are being removed, but their shortcuts i guess are staying behind. And as for...
  10. Removing the Few Remaining Default Apps

Removing the Few Remaining Default Apps: How can I uninstall the following: Mixed Reality Portal People 102648