Windows 10: Removal of unwanted folders

Discus and support Removal of unwanted folders in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Removal of unwanted folders One of my setups has recently fallen victim to some misbehaving software that had undesirable contents installed on the D... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by goopy, Nov 30, 2019.

1. goopy Win User

Removal of unwanted folders

One of my setups has recently fallen victim to some misbehaving software that had undesirable contents installed on the D drive which is used for personal data. "Apps and features" was able to remove these, but attempts to delete the folders left behind had failed.

Does the OS provide any tools to delete such folders? If not, any other tools to recommend?

Many thanks and best regards,

Removal of unwanted folders [​IMG]

:)

goopy, Nov 30, 2019
  2. enso Win User

Quick Access not searching Pictures folder

Summary, that last suggestion didn't work.

• I moved the pictures to another folder temporarily.

• Since there were no troubleshooting steps for this scenario, just for the heck of it, I ran through the restore steps. Copied some pictures into the Pictures folder, ran a Quick Access search and initial problem remains: Searching all of QA doesn't find any files in Pictures folder, running search on just the Pictures folder does. I want to run a global search and find matching files in any/all of the Documents, Music, Videos, and Pictures folders.
    That article dates from 2015 and I'm guessing is out of date. I hope it didn't create potential future problems in my registry.

Bottom line: I'm still looking for a fix.

3. How do I safely remove the unwanted $Windows.~BT folder and it's contents?

Hi Barry,

I suggest that you follow the steps from this knowledge base article :

How to remove the Windows.old folder

Let us know if this helped you to remove the installation files.

Vinod Archak, Nov 30, 2019
  4. Jekyll99 Win User

Problem with unwanted folder deletion

I have a rather large HDD with multiple directories and sub-directories. I've recently discovered that each of these directories contains an unwanted .metadata folder, which itself contains a number of unwanted files. I'd like to delete all these .metadata folders and their contents (all identical) in one fell swoop, rather than have to laboriously wade through maybe 300 separate directories to delete them individually.

Suggestions?

Jekyll99, Nov 30, 2019
Thema:

1. Removal of unwanted folders - Similar Threads - Removal unwanted folders

2. Unwanted message removal

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unwanted message removal: How do I stop getting this website to show up on my desktop?https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-insider/build-expirationI have already upgraded to 11 and this is annoying.Jack...
  3. Unwanted message removal

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unwanted message removal: How do I stop getting this website to show up on my desktop?https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-insider/build-expirationI have already upgraded to 11 and this is annoying.Jack...
  4. Unwanted folders

in Windows 10 Support
    Unwanted folders: Windows 10 Home 20H2. There are 2 folders, one called Pictures, the other called Videos, which keep appearing on my desktop. Both these folders are empty. I keep deleting them but as soon as I restart the computer they reappear. Why is this happening and how do I get rid of...
  5. Remove Unwanted Keyboard

in Windows 10 Customization
    Remove Unwanted Keyboard: Hi, I've been looking around how to deal with it but answers are about using Control Panel, in which the options have been removed. So here is my keyboards: [ATTACH] I want to remove both English Canada . However, there is no such keyboard in my settings: [ATTACH]...
  6. Removing unwanted folders or programs

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Removing unwanted folders or programs: How do I remove a program or folder I no longer want https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/removing-unwanted-folders-or-programs/34be2cf4-1af7-4a4f-80ba-b2e14116c168
  7. Remove Unwanted Languages

in Windows 10 Support
    Remove Unwanted Languages: Good day, I have a HP notebook that I upgraded to windows 10, version 1803 home edition. I am trying to figure out why I am getting multiple languages downloaded when I think I have all the settings set to US (English). I have attached a .doc file that list the files that are...
  8. unwanted software removal

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    unwanted software removal: Hi Team, I can see lot of versions of same software is installed in the system. Which one is correct and which one is needed I am not sure. I need some tool to remove the unwanted software ; as my system takes long time to load and kills my harddisk read. one more...
  9. Homegroup has unwanted, unshared Folders - How to remove?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Homegroup has unwanted, unshared Folders - How to remove?: Although not shared with other PC's in the Homegroup, one PC's Downloads and Desktop folders have curiously shown up in the Homegroup with no apparent way to remove them including leaving the Homegroup and rejoining. The PC in question is running a fully updated Win 10 Pro....
  10. How to remove unwanted user account folders.\

in Windows 10 Support
    How to remove unwanted user account folders.\: In the progression from the December build ( I forget its number) to 10049 I have wound up with an unwanted user account in my C:\Users folder. It doesn't show up in Control Panel/User Accounts so I can't remove it via that route and if I try do deleteit from C:/Users by...