Windows 10: REMOVE a default folder from Controlled Folder Access

Discus and support REMOVE a default folder from Controlled Folder Access in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; We need a way to disable individual default Controlled Folder Access protected folders. As of this writing, the only way to install and use many... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Nyarlathotep Tech Support, Oct 14, 2019.

1. REMOVE a default folder from Controlled Folder Access

We need a way to disable individual default Controlled Folder Access protected folders.

As of this writing, the only way to install and use many programs, especially games, is to disable Controlled Folder Access entirely. Example: Many game applications require write access to the user's Documents area to save progress and this cannot be changed, especially in legacy cases. Whitelisting every installation program, every executable, every temporarily created plugin installer for every application is not feasible for our usage case and that of many others. Upgrading to Windows10 and having this "feature" forced on us brought production to a screeching halt, eventually forcing us to totally disable Controlled Folder Access for all Windows 10 stations and revert to Windows 7 on all other stations.

Hypothetical Scenario: Installer executable that requires write access to the user's Documents folder is created in a TEMP directory and is whitelisted; Malware masquerades as whitelisted file; ALL Controlled Folder Access protected folders are then toast. If only we had the ability to remove the default protected folders, only the Documents folder would be lost and knowing that the Documents folder was unprotected, nothing important would have been stored there. In an environment where dozens of programs are installed and tested every day, the current forced settings are unacceptable.

Please, would some intrepid engineer/technician/ethical hacker/hero kindly fix this or suggest a proven and repeatable workaround because it will save the day for many and elevate you to the status of living legend?

[Humor]

WARNING: Replying to this post with answers similar to "That cannot be done." or "You just allow each application through the Controlled Folder Access." or "That would be the same as turning Controlled Folder Access off completely." or "That is ransomware protection and it is by design..." or any other response deemed solely by me to be not useful, productive, or extremely funny will automatically declare that you consent to the transfer of the ownership of your soul to me or an affiliate of my choosing in perpetuity. After a period of 672 hours from posting transfer of soul ownership consent, all souls collected may be transmogrified to biscuits and consumed. Post carefully. (^~^)

[/Humor]

:)

Nyarlathotep Tech Support, Oct 14, 2019

2. Controlled folder access Problem

I want to use ( Controlled folder access ) for my custom folders like system 32,
    but want to remove the default folders like the desktop folder .
    Found in :
    windows defender > windows defender security center > virus & threat protection >
    virus & threat protection settings > Controlled folder access :

Sometimes I cant save or edit things at the desktop with Controlled folder access On.
    Yet if turned Off ; then I cant protect my custom folders.

Hows protecting the desktop more important than system 32 ?

Asking for advice to get around this by any means, to delete the default list, so only my custom folders remain in the control access list.

OtherWay1982, Oct 14, 2019
  3. Frogger Win User
    ?? How do I PW protect Folders in windows

hmmm?
    Sharing files and folders overview You can share the files and folders stored on your computer, on a network, and on the Web. The method you choose depends on whom you want to share files with, and what computer they will use to access the files.

When you share files or folders, they are not as protected as they are when you do not share them. People with access to your computer or your network might be able to read, copy, or change files that are in a shared folder. You should always be aware that the files and folders that you share are available to other people and be sure to monitor your shared files and folders on a regular basis.

Important

If your computer is not joined to a domain, you can use the Network Setup Wizard to automatically turn file and printer sharing on or off. To start the Network Setup Wizard, click Start, click Control Panel, click Network and Internet Connections, and then click Network Setup Wizard.
    If you both use the same computer

You can put the files you want to share in the Shared Documents folder. Files stored in the Shared Documents folder or its subfolders are always available to other users on your computer.

Step-by-step procedure
    Note

If you are connected to a network domain, the Shared Documents, Shared Pictures, and Shared Music folders are not available.
    If both computers are on the same network

You can share a folder or drive on your computer with others on the network. You can also control whether the files in the shared folder can be modified by other users.

If your computer is connected to a network domain, use this procedure:

Step-by-step procedure
    If your computer is connected to a workgroup, use this procedure:

Step-by-step procedure
    Note

If you are connected to a network domain, you will need to set the Access control for the folder or drive after sharing it. For more information, go to To set, view, change, or remove file and folder permissions.
    If you want to share your files online

You can publish pictures and documents on the Web using the Web Publishing Wizard. The files will be stored in a private, online folder that you manage.

Step-by-step procedure

If you don't want others to access your files

You can prevent other users from accessing your folders and the files they contain. When your computer is connected to a domain, this is called setting permissions for your file or folder. When your computer is connected to a workgroup, this is called making your folders private.

If your computer is connected to a network domain, use this procedure:

Step-by-step procedure
    If your computer is connected to a workgroup, use this procedure:

Step-by-step procedure

'HELP' it can be your friend *Smile REMOVE a default folder from Controlled Folder Access :)

Frogger, Oct 14, 2019
  4. REMOVE a default folder from Controlled Folder Access

Jsssssssss, Oct 14, 2019
Thema:

REMOVE a default folder from Controlled Folder Access

1. REMOVE a default folder from Controlled Folder Access - Similar Threads - REMOVE default folder

2. controlled folder access

in Windows 10 Gaming
    controlled folder access: When trying to open Controlled Folder Access, a window opened that said the IT administrator had restricted access to this page. The computer is my personal PC and I have no IT Administrator. How do I retrieve access to this page?...
  3. Removing protected folders in controlled folder access

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Removing protected folders in controlled folder access: As it stands, I am unable to remove the base folders from the Protected Folders list. This would normally be fine except any game I download from Steam that writes settings/save files to the "C:\users\[user]\documents" path is caught as malicious by windows defender. While I...
  4. Removing protected folders in controlled folder access

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Removing protected folders in controlled folder access: As it stands, I am unable to remove the base folders from the Protected Folders list. This would normally be fine except any game I download from Steam that writes settings/save files to the "C:\users\[user]\documents" path is caught as malicious by windows defender. While I...
  5. Remove folders from network folder with removing access.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Remove folders from network folder with removing access.: I shared individual folders on our network, then decided to share the entire drive. Now in the Network folder shows all the individual folders I originally shared and the drives. All the folders except c & d in the photo are sub-folders of the drives. How do I remove the...
  6. Remove default set folders in "Controlled folder access"

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Remove default set folders in "Controlled folder access": With the increasing popularity of ransomware, I've decided to activate the built in Controlled folder access feature within Windows 10.I however do not store my personal files the ones I want to have protected in the default place Windows provides so I added these.However, I...
  7. is controlled folder access the default now?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    is controlled folder access the default now?: I had to reset my desktop and went to find controlled folder access but couldn't find it. Is it just built in now? submitted by /u/eaglerock2 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/ij05wg/is_controlled_folder_access_the_default_now/
  8. controlled folder access

controlled folder access: My real-time protection, cloud-delivered protection, automatic sample submission, tamper protections all are off. I try to on it. but it doesn't work. It says to on the controlled folder access. but when I try to on that option. it doesn't work. It says, "protects files,...
  9. Cant remove Documents Folder from Controlled Folder Access

Cant remove Documents Folder from Controlled Folder Access: Hi, i want to activate this option as it seems pretty useful for protection, but it blocks all my games from saving on documents folder That has nothing but app files as i save my stuff in another drive and its a mess to add every game to exception and lose progress. Is...
  10. Controlled folder access

Controlled folder access: For the last week the controlled folder access is blocking my Quicken program from updating or downloading anything. When I click on the notice it takes me to the allow app but when I open that to choose to allow app nothing is there! I really need to use my Quicken. How do...