Windows 10: Remove an OEM product key embedded in the UEFI firmware chip

Discus and support Remove an OEM product key embedded in the UEFI firmware chip in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; I recently purchased a used lenovo m75q thinkcentre. When powered up it started with a new Windows user configuration that required a corporate... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by Vino1960, Jul 27, 2022.

1. Vino1960 Win User

Remove an OEM product key embedded in the UEFI firmware chip

I recently purchased a used lenovo m75q thinkcentre. When powered up it started with a new Windows user configuration that required a corporate login/email. Basically there was nothing I could do with the computer. I tried installing a new windows OS and even changed out the SSD but nothing would get me past the corporate login screen. I assume this has to do with the OEM product key or something else on the motherboard. Is there any way for me wipe or remove the need to use a corporate login/email? Or is this computer a brick?

:)

Vino1960, Jul 27, 2022

2. clean install of W10 - embedded key, and Legacy MBR/BIOS v UEFI choice

Call me a coward.... but I think I'm going to stick with the Legacy/BIOS option. The ThinkPad X240 on which I want to do a clean install currently has that corporate KMS Win10 installed in Legacy mode. I assume it is capable of UEFI (?).

But right now I believe UEFI is disabled in the BIOS. When I go looking via Settings>Recovery>Troubleshoot>Advanced, there is no "UEFI Firmware Settings" button or option.

We've established (via Showkey Plus) that there is an embedded OEM Win8 Key - and i have made a note of it.

So I have downloaded the Win10 ISO, put it on a USB stick using Rufus , and I think I'm ready to go.

But as I read through the steps in the "Clean Install" tutorial, I see this quote at step 9:

"If this is an OEM PC that has a valid product key embedded in its UEFI firmware chip, then you will not be prompted to enter a product key."

Fine. But note my underlining. Now this might seem a dumb question. But if I am installing in Legacy mode, will the Win10 installer still see that key embedded in the UEFI firmware and still skip the screen which asks about the product key?

Or if that screen does come up.... do I enter the embedded key details?

I'm just trying to be ready for any contingency, rather than getting to step 9 and not knowing how to proceed!

br1anstorm, Jul 27, 2022
  3. Brink Win User
    Find Product Key in Windows 10  

Hello Jeff, *Smile

Since this is a new OEM PC, its product key will be embedded in the UEFI firmware chip. This product key will automatically be detected and used by Windows Setup while installing Windows 10.

If you installed the same Windows 10 the key is for, then it should activate when you connect to the Internet.

Brink, Jul 27, 2022
  4. ashleyg Win User

Uninstall Product Key and Deactivate Windows 10  

Done and dusted! Changed the product key to the OEM Key shown by ShowKeyPlus and the activation page now shows 'Windows is activated with a digital licence'.
    Thanks Brink and thanks ShowKeyPlus.

ashleyg, Jul 27, 2022
Thema:

1. Remove an OEM product key embedded in the UEFI firmware chip - Similar Threads - Remove OEM product

2. How to "REMOVE" OEM product key from BIOS firmware of DELL Inspiron 3268

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to "REMOVE" OEM product key from BIOS firmware of DELL Inspiron 3268: I have read more than 200 posting since Friday afternoon - and nothing is helping. My 80yo father's PC needed to be reloaded. He had purchased a Digital Key for Windows 10 Pro. The reason for the reload was something in the last update corrupted his system, and forced the...
  3. How to "REMOVE" OEM product key from BIOS firmware of DELL Inspiron 3268

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to "REMOVE" OEM product key from BIOS firmware of DELL Inspiron 3268: I have read more than 200 posting since Friday afternoon - and nothing is helping. My 80yo father's PC needed to be reloaded. He had purchased a Digital Key for Windows 10 Pro. The reason for the reload was something in the last update corrupted his system, and forced the...
  4. Remove an OEM product key embedded in the UEFI firmware chip

Remove an OEM product key embedded in the UEFI firmware chip: I recently purchased a used lenovo m75q thinkcentre. When powered up it started with a new Windows user configuration that required a corporate login/email. Basically there was nothing I could do with the computer. I tried installing a new windows OS and even changed out the...
  5. Remove an OEM product key embedded in the UEFI firmware chip

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Remove an OEM product key embedded in the UEFI firmware chip: I recently purchased a used lenovo m75q thinkcentre. When powered up it started with a new Windows user configuration that required a corporate login/email. Basically there was nothing I could do with the computer. I tried installing a new windows OS and even changed out the...
  6. How to "REMOVE" OEM product key from BIOS firmware of a laptop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to "REMOVE" OEM product key from BIOS firmware of a laptop: I want to remove the original OEM product key from the BIOS as if this laptop came without any pre-installed OS. I have come across a program called RWeveryting which can read and write pretty much anywhere, where any sort of data could be written or read. Now I want to know...
  7. How to "REMOVE" OEM product key from BIOS firmware of a laptop

How to "REMOVE" OEM product key from BIOS firmware of a laptop: I want to remove the original OEM product key from the BIOS as if this laptop came without any pre-installed OS. I have come across a program called RWeveryting which can read and write pretty much anywhere, where any sort of data could be written or read. Now I want to know...
  8. How to remove illegitimate windows product key embedded in BIOS/UEFI?

How to remove illegitimate windows product key embedded in BIOS/UEFI?: I've had this version of Windows installed for a few years now, I can't remember it being installed but I'm pretty sure one of my friends did it using a cracked version of Windows. I'd like to use the "free" legit version of Windows for a while, before purchasing a full...
  9. Risks associated with selling or giving away an OEM PC with Product Key embedded in firmware

Risks associated with selling or giving away an OEM PC with Product Key embedded in firmware: I am about to give away a Dell PC with the Product Code embedded in the firmware, as I've confirmed by testing with clean installs using only a Local Account that result in the Product Code persisting after each new install/activation. My question: Does the existence of this...
  10. embedded OEM key

embedded OEM key: Windows 10 install will not accept my embedded product key. What do I do now?? 14313