Windows 10: Remove Appx Applications from old user profiles

Discus and support Remove Appx Applications from old user profiles in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hi,I am hoping someone can help me with this issue. Surely there is a way to do it, surely Microsoft would consider the implications of old Appx... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by FraserBurnett, Feb 4, 2023.

1. Remove Appx Applications from old user profiles

Hi,I am hoping someone can help me with this issue. Surely there is a way to do it, surely Microsoft would consider the implications of old Appx Applications being left on a system. So here is the problem. A user signs into a PC and uses it for a short time, say 4 months ago. Since the last time they signed in, there is a vulnerability discovered with an Appx application. This Appx gets updated by the store for any new user or regular user of the PC. But the old version stays for the user thats never used the PC since. How can admin deal with this issue across the estate of possibly thousands

:)

FraserBurnett, Feb 4, 2023
  2. deving Win User

User.000 issue after updating to 1909

I'm one of the many people suffering from issues with user profiles after applying Update 1909 to Windows 10. I've read all the threads I can find on the topic here and have followed the suggestions, all to no avail. Any other thoughts are appreciated.

After applying Update 1909, the ProfileImagePath was changed to c:\users\User.000
    One file that was always in use and couldn't be removed was left in c:\users\User (can't recall or find the exact file now), so I could never rename or remove the c:\user\User directory.

I followed the multiple suggestions from Brink and others:
    • Rebooted at least 6 times
    • Enabled hidden Administrator
    • Booted into Safe Mode
    • Changed ProfileImagePath
    • Tried to rename c:\users\User but couldn't because a file was still in use
    • Copied all data from c:\users\User.000 into c:\users\User
    • Rebooted and had temporary profile
    • Followed steps in Brink tutorial to change ImageProfilePath; rebooted with no change
    • Restored using Restore Point from before Update 1909 - returned to single profile state (User.000)
    • Removed each update that was installed individually and rebooted after each update removal - profile state never changed
    • After all updates were removed, repeated the steps above with hidden Administrator, changing profile, etc. - same issue with file in use in c:\users\User
    • Followed all steps above with hidden Administrator but without copying files from User.000 to User - same results

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

deving, Feb 4, 2023
  3. STU
    Stu Win User
    Remove appx package for all users

The "Remove-AppxPackage" only removes store applications for the logged in user, even if you pipe it from Get-AppxPackage -AllUser

I've had trouble updating apps in the past because another user had logged in and the app had been updated in their profile, it's also a known issue when using sysprep.

You can identify if that is the case using this script:

In the output of this last cmdlet, check the users for whom the package is showing up as Installed. Delete these user accounts from the reference computer, or log on to the computer by using these user accounts & remove the Appx package, as you have been:

If that still doesn't work, you could try removing the provisioning and installing it again from the Store.

4. shipwreck Win User

Remove Appx Applications from old user profiles

Removing an old user folder

Your one step ahead of me! Whilst waiting for your reply I found the same web site. The weird thing is that the default profile has 2.54 MB & the one I want to delete has 272 MB

Remove Appx Applications from old user profiles 293615d1597933291t-removing-old-user-folder-untitled.jpg

I tried the second option: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList
    and the profile "roysq" is not listed. Getting really confusing now!

What do you sugest? Scared to say the least!

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you so much for trying to help Paul, I give up. Managed to get back to one default user folder and I’m now told that I have to download Microsoft Flight Sim again, which took me 24 hours the last time! Thank God I have Windows 7 on a separate drive to keep me sane!

shipwreck, Feb 4, 2023
Thema:

Remove Appx Applications from old user profiles

1. Remove Appx Applications from old user profiles - Similar Threads - Remove Appx Applications

2. Removing Old Microsoft Account On User Profile To Add New Account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Removing Old Microsoft Account On User Profile To Add New Account: Hello,I bought a laptop some time ago from a friend. I was lazy and just used their user profile which is logged into their microsoft account. I want to remove their microsoft account and add my own to the user profile on the laptop. It has a lot of data which I've accrued...
  3. Removing Old Microsoft Account On User Profile To Add New Account

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Removing Old Microsoft Account On User Profile To Add New Account: Hello,I bought a laptop some time ago from a friend. I was lazy and just used their user profile which is logged into their microsoft account. I want to remove their microsoft account and add my own to the user profile on the laptop. It has a lot of data which I've accrued...
  4. Removing Old Microsoft Account On User Profile To Add New Account

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Remove Appx Applications from old user profiles

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Remove Appx Applications from old user profiles: Hi,I am hoping someone can help me with this issue. Surely there is a way to do it, surely Microsoft would consider the implications of old Appx Applications being left on a system. So here is the problem. A user signs into a PC and uses it for a short time, say 4 months ago....
  6. Remove Appx Applications from old user profiles

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Remove Appx Applications from old user profiles: Hi,I am hoping someone can help me with this issue. Surely there is a way to do it, surely Microsoft would consider the implications of old Appx Applications being left on a system. So here is the problem. A user signs into a PC and uses it for a short time, say 4 months ago....
  7. Removing a user from an old computer

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Removing a user from an old computer: "delete the Microsoft Account and make the other account as administrator." If I delete the Microsoft Account, my wife can't use her new computer without a Microsoft Account, right? How do I give her old windows computer to someone else while moving everything form her...
  8. Removal Of old user

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Removal Of old user: [img] When i try to remove this old user I get this but no indications how to do it all help great fully appreciated 133445
  9. Removal Of old user

in Windows 10 Support
    Removal Of old user: [img] When i try to remove this old user I get this but no indications how to do it all help great fully appreciated 133445
  10. remove the profile/user picture

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    remove the profile/user picture: Hi.. i just bought a 2nd hand laptop, please help me to remove the profile/user picture of the previous owner. [img] sorry for my post its my first time to ask help in this community.. thanks.. 103142