Windows 10: Remove Cortana Speech Mode

Discus and support Remove Cortana Speech Mode in Cortana to solve the problem; Updated to windows 10 version 1903 and was surprised to find that Cortana was in speaking mode. Everything I have tried does not get me back to just... Discussion in 'Cortana' started by GregCowling, Sep 17, 2019.

1. Remove Cortana Speech Mode

Updated to windows 10 version 1903 and was surprised to find that Cortana was in speaking mode. Everything I have tried does not get me back to just opening Cortana and typing. She hasn't understood a single thing I've said so I just want to shut her up. Any help?

:)

GregCowling, Sep 17, 2019

2. CORTANA IN LISTEN MODE

Hi Andrew,

Thank you for your interest in Windows 10!

What is the edition of Windows 10 (Home, Education, Pro etc.)?

I understand you have issues with Cortana in the Listen mode. If you have Windows 10 PRO installed in the system, then I would suggest you to try the following steps to change some group policy settings.

• Press Windows key + R, type
        Gpedit.msc
        and hit ENTER.

• Go to Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Search

• Check for: 'Allow Cortana' and 'Do not allow web search'
        – Make sure they are ‘Not Configured’ or set ‘Allow Cortana’ to Enabled and ‘Do not allow web search’ to Disabled

• Open an elevated command prompt and run:
        gpupdate /force

• Go to Settings > Verify and correct: Time, Region and Language

And, then go to Settings > Apps and Features > Manage optional features > Download Speech Recognition and Text-to-speech
    NOTE: The troubleshooting steps are only applicable to
    Windows 10 PRO

Let us know if the issue gets resolved using the troubleshooting steps.

Harkanwar Singh, Sep 17, 2019
  3. Cortana Speech Problem

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community. I will certainly help you with this.

Please make sure your Country or Region, Language, and
    Speech Language settings are all aligned with one of Cortana’s supported locale configurations.  If these OS settings are not aligned, Cortana will not be available in proper language. For example, Cortana will not work properly
    if your country is set to United States, but the Windows display language is set to English (United Kingdom).

I suggest you to try to turn Cortana off and then try turning it on back and check. Refer to the steps below to turn Off and On Cortana:

• Open Cortana.
    • Click the hamburger button in the top left of the window.
    • Go to Settings and click on off.
    • Follow the same steps to turn it on.
    • Check if issue persists.
    I suggest you to refer to the steps and settings given in below discussion thread by
    Sharath Srinivasa and confirm that your system is configure in same settings:

Why is Cortana not available for me on Windows 10?

Hope this information helps. Post back with updated issue details for further help.

Thank you.

Parth P Patel, Sep 17, 2019
  4. Remove Cortana Speech Mode

Cortana speech language?

Hi Oliver,

Thank you for being a part of Windows 10.

I appreciate you for providing details about the issue and we are happy to help you.

I suggest you to follow the below steps to check the language and speech settings in Cortana.

• Press Windows + I keys on the keyboard to open settings menu.
    • Click on Time and language and select region and language.
    • Under Language option, check which language is Set as default.
    • If you find different language, you can change it by clicking on Add a language option.
    • Select your preferred language (English UK) and click on
      Set as default
      under English UK language.
    • Now, click on English UK and click on Options.
    • Download the language, handwriting and speech packs.
    • Now, click on Speech from the Time and language settings menu.
    • Check if you are able to select the speech settings to English UK.
    • After performing above steps, check if you are able to use Cortana.
    Reference: Refer to the following Microsoft article on
    Cortana & search.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/cortana-search

Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance with Windows. We are glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Harshavardhan Rathod, Sep 17, 2019
Thema:

Remove Cortana Speech Mode

1. Remove Cortana Speech Mode - Similar Threads - Remove Cortana Speech

2. Speech Recognition is not available but Cortana is

in Cortana
    Speech Recognition is not available but Cortana is: I made every changes to use speech recognition. I changed region to US, timezone to US, keyboard to English, language to US English. Even my cortana is working. It can hear me and answer me. I tried troubleshooting and it said it can hear me and everything is fine. But...
  3. Speech Recognition is not available but Cortana is

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Speech Recognition is not available but Cortana is: I made every changes to use speech recognition. I changed region to US, timezone to US, keyboard to English, language to US English. Even my cortana is working. It can hear me and answer me. I tried troubleshooting and it said it can hear me and everything is fine. But...
  4. Speech Recognition is not available but Cortana is

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Cortana vs. Speech Recognition

in Cortana
    Cortana vs. Speech Recognition: Aren't - Cortana- Speech Recognition"Overlapped"?Both are WSR execute commands defined in Windows environment.- What are the differences between the two- Does each one has its own SRA speech recognition algorithmsMy suspicion is that Cortana brought-in to match other products...
  6. Cortana not recognizing speech

in Cortana
    Cortana not recognizing speech: Almost two months ago I did a reset of my laptop as I forgot the windows password I created a year prior and could never login to my account. I solved that problem by creating a new account, and everything was working fine. I used Cortana a handful of times and speech was...
  7. How to slow Cortana speech?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to slow Cortana speech?: How do I slow down cortana's speech rate? She's talking just a bit too fast for my ears. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-slow-cortana-speech/2d1123d9-3e8a-4daf-8500-ae88f24ea1f5
  8. cortana has speech packages to load

in Cortana
    cortana has speech packages to load: I keep getting "cortana has speech packages to load" messages when I try to use. cannot find any evidence of anything loading, nor can I find what the hell the message is talking about...
  9. Speech Settings Remove Speech Voice Grayed out

in Windows 10 Customization
    Speech Settings Remove Speech Voice Grayed out: I have tried to remove United Kingdom from my Speech settings but its just Grayed out and i don't know how to solve it. Does anybody or Microsoft Know how to fix it?...
  10. Speech Recognition and Cortana.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Speech Recognition and Cortana.: No you can not help me. I have had help over the years But help has made no diffrents. stop right there not my pc I have had lots of pcs over the years and its the same. For years you send out all kinds of updates and still cannot get your Speech Recognition **** to work 1/2...