Windows 10: Remove DNS Unlocker from Edge browser

Discus and support Remove DNS Unlocker from Edge browser in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; I somehow managed to get an infection of DNS Unlocker on my laptop. Using various products (Malware bytes McAfee etc) I have managed to eradicate it... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by Writerman, Mar 10, 2016.

1. Writerman Win User

Remove DNS Unlocker from Edge browser

I somehow managed to get an infection of DNS Unlocker on my laptop. Using various products (Malware bytes McAfee etc) I have managed to eradicate it from most places (Firefox now clean etc.) but it is still, obstinately and persistently present in the Windows 10 Edge browser. Every time I try to use Edge, after a few minutes I get unwanted windows opening, a message in the bottom left saying adverts will start in 5 seconds (it's always 5 seconds and never goes down) and annoying popups obscuring the website I actually wanted to look at.

Any ideas how to get rid of these unwanted intrusions from Edge?

Keith

PS. I wonder if the morons who write this stuff realise that adverts forced in front of a user who didn't ask for them aren't going to have him saying "oh yes, that's a good idea, I'll get that product". They're more likely to make him say "I am going to boycott forever any organisation or service that uses such obnoxious methods."

:)

Writerman, Mar 10, 2016
  2. Le Boule Win User

Microsoft seems to be including DNS Unlocker

DNS UnLocker is probably in your browser or somewhere else on your computer.

See this free, multi-step removal guide from Malwaretips.com: How to remove "Ads by DNS Unlocker" Adware (Virus Help Guide)

If you do not see the program in Control Panel that you think is responsible for the ads and popups or you cannot uninstall it then move on to steps 2 and 3 (scan with AdwCleaner
    and Malwarebytes Free). If necessary you can run Hitman Pro (Trial Version) as suggested in step 4. You may need to reset your browsers (see step 5).

Please note that DNS Unlocker is sometimes difficult to remove – see some of the other steps that various users had to take to resolve issues with this malware:
    How to get rid of "DNS Unlocker"?

Good luck…

Le Boule, Mar 10, 2016
  3. b1rd Win User

Hi Writerman,

It sounds like you might still be infected. However, I'm not sure that 'DNS Unlocker' will be detected by your McAfee or not, as I think that DNS Unlocker is more of an Adaware or spyware type of a bug, rather than a virus per se.

With that said, I would have thought that MalwareBytes would have corrected it, but perhaps not. Have a look at the below links, as they offer some additional information, including using AdwCleaner.

There's also another free one called Super AntiSpyware, that's good to have around as well, which might also work, however ADWCleaner was specifically mentioned.

Remove “Ads by DNS Unlocker” virus (Uninstall Guide)
    UnInstall DNS Unlocker

4. Berton Win User
    I got DNSUnlocker removed but what I used was Malwarebytes once, found the DNSUnlocker Folder on the HDD and deleted it, rebooted then ran Malwarebytes again which found several entries still on the computer and deleted them. It's been 2 days now the the client says the problem hasn't come back.

Berton, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Remove DNS Unlocker from Edge browser - Similar Threads - Remove DNS Unlocker

2. How to Remove Yahoo from Hijacking Edge Browser

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to Remove Yahoo from Hijacking Edge Browser: I see the above question frequently and want to share what worked for me. Somehow my kid installed something called "Wavebrowser." I went to Add/Remove and uninstalled Wavebrowser also immediately restarted Windows just in case it would help and the "Yahoo Hijacking Microsoft...
  3. How to Remove Yahoo from Hijacking Edge Browser

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to Remove Yahoo from Hijacking Edge Browser: I see the above question frequently and want to share what worked for me. Somehow my kid installed something called "Wavebrowser." I went to Add/Remove and uninstalled Wavebrowser also immediately restarted Windows just in case it would help and the "Yahoo Hijacking Microsoft...
  4. How to Remove Yahoo from Hijacking Edge Browser

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. How to remove Edge Legacy from standard browser-choice ?

in Browsers and Email
    How to remove Edge Legacy from standard browser-choice ?: How to remove Edge Legacy from standard browser-choise ? When Edge Chromium is also installed , I can choose between 3 browsers , when looking in the standard browsers ; IE11 , Edge Legacy ( recommended) , Edge . The point is , Edge Legacy does not function anymore , its been...
  6. How to remove Edge Legacy from standard browser-choise ?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to remove Edge Legacy from standard browser-choise ?: How to remove Edge Legacy from standard browser-choise ? When Edge Chromium is also installed , I can choose between 3 browsers , when looking in the standard browsers ; IE11 , Edge Legacy ( recommended) , Edge . The point is , Edge Legacy does not function anymore , its been...
  7. REMOVE A HOTMAIL Account from Edge Browser Problem

in Windows 10 Customization
    REMOVE A HOTMAIL Account from Edge Browser Problem: I followed instructions from another help thread that said - effectively that the email address used by EDGE was determined by the account signed in to Microsoft on the device -A Windows 10 PC in my case - I removed that account from my windows settings in accordance to the...
  8. Remove/Disable Edge Browser

in Cortana
    Remove/Disable Edge Browser: Please click following link to know the steps to Disable/Remove Edge Browser. Remove Edge_Click Here https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/removedisable-edge-browser/0200f164-fa1b-4c43-b359-044d85b00ede"
  9. F1 hotkey remove for edge browser

in Browsers and Email
    F1 hotkey remove for edge browser: Ive been trying to remove the F1 hotkey to stop bringing up the edge browser, i try and hit escape on my laptop and i keep accidentally clicking F1, its really annoying 116452
  10. How to remove all favorites from Edge Browser

in Browsers and Email
    How to remove all favorites from Edge Browser: So I decided to give Edge another try, and seeing that I am still unable to directly import my favorites from Firefox I went around it by exporting them to a HTML file, importing them into IE and then into Edge. Well only half of them ended up appearing in edge and I now...