Windows 10: remove DropBox from navigation pane

Discus and support remove DropBox from navigation pane in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; hello Mr Shawn Brink *Smile i tried to PM you, but the system didn't let me, since this is my first post :P following the text from the PM: " I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Johan, Aug 21, 2015.

1. Johan Win User

remove DropBox from navigation pane

hello Mr Shawn Brink *Smile

i tried to PM you, but the system didn't let me, since this is my first post remove DropBox from navigation pane :p

following the text from the PM:
    "
    I just did read (and do) your instructions about removing OneDrive from the left explorer-pane. (and the quick-access pane)
    after reading a few hour, its great to see your post. with your instructions it was done in 2/3 mins *Smile

but now the question...
    since this is about DropBox and not about OneDrive, i thought i would b a better idea to just pm you...

I want to remove the DropBox item from the left-explorer-pane, but i do not want to remove (uninstall) dropbox...

you have any quick instructions?
    thank you very much in advance *Smile
    "

as u see i didn't want to go off-topic remove DropBox from navigation pane :p

edit:
    lol, now i posted it in the wrong topic also remove DropBox from navigation pane :p

:)

Johan, Aug 21, 2015

2. Modify Navigation Pane

I like many things about Windows 10.

One thing I would like to be able to do is remove items from the windows explorer navigation pane. For example, windows has included my "Dropbox" account folder in the navigation pane. I have a dropbox account and yes there is a folder on my PC for that.
    However, I rarely use dropbox (it is a legacy from some folks I used to work with). How can I remove that from the root navigation pane? An alternate question, how does windows decide what to place in the navigation pane?

Matthew H Stockton, Aug 21, 2015
  3. Modify Navigation Pane

Thank you, sorry it has taken so long to follow up.

The suggested actions did not resolve the problem. I want to add/remove items from the navigation pane (left hand side) of a windows explorer window. When I reset the folders, it did remove my libraries from the navigation pane; which I expected. They
    are not hard to get back so that is not an issue.

The current issue is I want to remove "Dropbox" from the navigation pane. More fundamentally, I want the ability to remove or add items to the navigation pane.

Matthew H Stockton, Aug 21, 2015
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Brink, Aug 21, 2015
  5. Johan Win User
    Johan, Aug 21, 2015
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    You're most welcome. Please let us know how it went. *Smile

Brink, Aug 21, 2015
  7. Here is how to do it:

1. Modify pin value and folder type value (SGAO) so the item is doubly invisible:

2. Enable inheritance on the registry key [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{E31EA727-12ED-4702-820C-4B6445F28E1A}]

- This makes the ALL APPLICATION PACKAGES user explicit. Deny only *this* user write access, while not changing any others that appear. Requires knowing how to use the Security tab.

RESULT:

For the first time, I rebooted and it's gone.

Hlafordlaes, Feb 2, 2016
  8. remove DropBox from navigation pane

As readers may be aware, the fix above does not resist Dropbox updates, which reestablish the pesky navigation pane entry.

A nuclear response was needed, but not by uninstalling. I created a Task that consists of running a batch file that implements the reg file above after logon. Dropbox itself is set by Task Manager (not autoruns) to wait for user logon and a working internet connection. This takes a moment, so the batch file is set to run 1 minute after the internet connection is established.

This, after several test reboots, works. If after an update or some slow boot the fix doesn't work, just go into Task Scheduler and run the task manually.

Hlafordlaes, Feb 3, 2016
  9. KeithM Win User
    Are the Dropbox HKCR entries coming from HKCU\Classses or HKLM\Classes?

Keith

KeithM, Feb 4, 2016
  10. From HKCU. The quoted text above in 1st post needs to be put into a reg file and merged. As per second post, no luck making it stick; required a workaround. Today I am reinstalling the OS after getting fed up with the problems from an upgrade, and this time I think there will be no Dropbox. Office 365 gives me 1TB, Google Drive 15GB (per email address, or 30GB total), ASUS Webstorage another 5GB iirc, and now 20GB from Cyberlink (not that I like them commercially, as the website is designed for suckers, but the SW does the job for my 3D and upscaling needs, and has the cloud storage to boot.)

So it looks like these might, maybe, perhaps are my first and last posts on Dropbox.

Hlafordlaes, Feb 5, 2016
  11. RESULT:

For the first time, I rebooted and it's gone.[/quote] Will this method work if I copy the code into a .reg file and run it that way?

JoshuaVL1988, Mar 19, 2016
  12. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello Joshua,

Yes, but leave the top Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 part of the code out if you're adding it to an existing .reg file. A .reg file only needs one at the top. *Smile

Brink, Mar 19, 2016
  13. remove DropBox from navigation pane

that would be an oopsie on my end then, lol. I tested it out just after posting my question. It seems to have worked fine though, lol. I'm not sure if it created a completely new registry area or if it updated the one that was already in it, lol.

---EDIT---

I'm an idiot. I completely misred your statement, lol. I used notepad to create a .reg file out of the coding, so it was actually a new .reg file, lol.

JoshuaVL1988, Mar 19, 2016
  14. @Hlafordlaes

Can you please provide the batch file? I got the reg file to work but the dropbox icon keeps coming back whenever I log into my computer again.

JoshuaVL1988, Mar 20, 2016
  15. flybynite Win User
    I named the registry file HideDropbox.reg so change the name in this batch file to coincide with your reg file's name. Make sure you also use the proper path. Code: regedit.exe /S "C:\HideDropbox\HideDropbox.reg"[/quote] I created a task to run 30 seconds after startup, but you can alter the time to 45 seconds if you wish by exporting the task, deleting the task, editing the xml file, then reimporting the xml file to Task Scheduler.

flybynite, Mar 28, 2016
Thema:

1. remove DropBox from navigation pane - Similar Threads - remove DropBox navigation

2. Remove OneDrive from File Explorer navigation pane

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Remove OneDrive from File Explorer navigation pane: I had two versions of OneDrive, one personal and one professional each with different log in identities. I need to remove the professional one, which had at some point duplicated itself in the File Explorer navigation pane.I followed all the instructions found online related...
  3. Remove OneDrive from File Explorer navigation pane

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Remove OneDrive from File Explorer navigation pane: I had two versions of OneDrive, one personal and one professional each with different log in identities. I need to remove the professional one, which had at some point duplicated itself in the File Explorer navigation pane.I followed all the instructions found online related...
  4. Removing icons from File Explorer navigation pane

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Removing icons from File Explorer navigation pane: Hi. I have some items in the navigation pane of Win10 file explorer that I can't seem to get rid of. They point to nothing. When I right click them I have no option to delete. Here is a screen shot of what happens when I try to open one. Can anyone help me get rid of...
  5. How to remove Dropbox from File Explorer Navigation Pane

in Windows 10 News
    How to remove Dropbox from File Explorer Navigation Pane: [ATTACH]When you install Dropbox on your Windows computer, an icon gets installed in the Navigation Pane of File Explorer automatically. If you want to remove […] This article How to remove Dropbox from File Explorer Navigation Pane first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com....
  6. Remove User from navigation Pane

in Windows 10 Support
    Remove User from navigation Pane: Hello, any idea about how to remove the user (Ciccio in the picture) from the navigation pane (and/or from the save as windows)? [img] 11775
  7. Removing entries in navigation pane?

in Windows 10 Support
    Removing entries in navigation pane?: My navigation pane shows Joseph Simpson (‘my name’) & My PC. Under My PC (expanded) I can see my external H-drives; but they do not show under ‘my name’. Both are almost the same as far as entries (Desktop, Documents, Downloads, Music, etc. etc. Would it be safe to move most...
  8. Remove useless "Sharepoint" from navigation pane

in Windows 10 Support
    Remove useless "Sharepoint" from navigation pane: [img] As you can see, I want to remove that Sharepoint menu which I'm not using anymore. I have uninstalled Sharepoint so when I click on the folder this message would trigger: [img] Thanks in advance *Smile 48270
  9. Add or Remove Dropbox from Navigation Pane in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Add or Remove Dropbox from Navigation Pane in Windows 10: How to: Add or Remove Dropbox from Navigation Pane in Windows 10 How to Add or Remove Dropbox in Navigation Pane of File Explorer in Windows 10 Dropbox is a file hosting service operated by American company Dropbox, Inc. that offers cloud storage, file synchronization,...
  10. Remove Documents from Navigation Pane in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    Remove Documents from Navigation Pane in File Explorer: Is there a way to remove the Documents node from File Explorer's Navigation Pane? [img] 108947

Users found this page by searching for:

1. remove dropbox folder from navigation pane

2. how to remove dropbox from quick access

3. remove dropbox from navigation pane