Windows 10: Remove dual boot - Ubuntu

Discus and support Remove dual boot - Ubuntu in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi, I am running Widows 10 on a UEFI/EFI/GPT system. I'd like to try and install a Linux OS on another partition. Installing is not a problem my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Whatrymes, Mar 15, 2017.

1. Whatrymes Win User

Remove dual boot - Ubuntu

Hi,

I am running Widows 10 on a UEFI/EFI/GPT system. I'd like to try and install a Linux OS on another partition. Installing is not a problem my question relates to if I decide to remove Ubuntu, how will I repair my Window's bootloader? I've been doing a lot of reading on line. My question today is: Many of these sights mention using a repair drive, and in a command prompt, type in the command bootrec.exe /fixmbr. Doesn't this only relate to BIOS not EFI? Even though I do my searches with "UEFI" in the search. I'm no expert for sure but I thought EFI does not use the MBR.

Thank you,
    Ed

:)

Whatrymes, Mar 15, 2017
  2. Angel_eye Win User
    Angel_eye, Mar 15, 2017
  3. CleoQc Win User
    I'm stuck on 10240 and can't install the November update

I've read somewhere that it may be boot sector related? I used to have a dual boot with ubuntu on that system, and then removed it.

Could it be related?

CleoQc, Mar 15, 2017
  4. Samuria Win User

use imaging software to image the uefi partion

Samuria, Mar 15, 2017
  5. Whatrymes Win User
    So use Macrium Reflect and make an image of the EFI system partition BEFORE I install Ubuntu? Then, if I choose, I can delete the volume containing Linux, restore the image to the EFI partition and my boot record will be back to the way it was? I didn't even know that partition could be backed up. Sounds nice.

Whatrymes, Mar 15, 2017
  6. Samuria Win User
    Best to back that and system as well

Samuria, Mar 15, 2017
  7. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

Easiest way is simply :

1) From Windows install media - boot it up and choose REPAIR Windows -- that should fix the boot loader

2) Now when installing LINUX - it can install on any partition - set the bootloader to load on the HDD you want to boot from -- most DECENT distros give you the option of which disks to use and no other disk will be touched.

I'd recommend centos as it's the easiest for installing to specific disks - other distros are often "dumbed down" to make it ostensibly easier - but then you don't get any choice as to where to install.

With centos choose create partitions Manually and select the HDD you want to use - you can also set the boot HDD too.

When creating manually create at least these partitions

/ (for root, system etc etc) this should hold all installed stuff etc.

/swap should be around 50% size of Ram

/home -- for your data etc

/boot for kernels and boot loader -- around 1GB should be more than enough

if using Centos install SAMBA and ntfs-3g to read / write windows files and share with windows

If other distros allow flexibility with HDD's then use distro of your choice -- partitions should have the same scheme as above for simplified installation.

It's best where possible to ensure GRUB2 (The Linux boot loader) does NOT get written to the default Windows boot HDD (unless you want it to --I prefer to keep the OS'es 100% separate).

Also rather than have a MEGA LARGE /home partition if you have a spare partition create a partition and simply add it as a mount point after boot -- that way you can keep adding to your data files as much as you like -= of course your own workflow is what suits you best though.

In the diagram shown I've set partitions out for a 16 GB RAM Nas server system with an SSD. The 4 HDD's marked md are 2 X 2 RAID 0 config, /dev/sdb and /dev/sdb1 partitions are my /boot (it'ss on an internal micro sd card - this machine can boot from a micro sd card) and the rest are all on a 256 GB SSD (which also has 2 X VM's on it.

For filesystem use ext4 it's fast and reliable (and repairable) simply ensure partition is unmounted then as root / sudo format the partition as follows : mkfs.ext4 /dev/sdx where sdx is your partition.

To reclaim "reserved" / superuser space after you've formatted the partition(s) with the command decribed above then simply as sudo or root type : tune2fs -m 0 /dev/sdx where again sdx is your partition.

Remove dual boot - Ubuntu [​IMG]

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Mar 15, 2017
  8. tonez Win User

very lovely, I was thinking of dual booting my sys again, thanks very much that info sorted me right out *chuckle

tonez, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Remove dual boot - Ubuntu - Similar Threads - Remove dual boot

2. Dual Boot Ubuntu

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Dual Boot Ubuntu: I am a software developer who has recently got some embedded systems work. The support community for the tools I will be using is built with the assumption of a Linux operating system. While for other types of work-loads, such as backend work, I have been happy with my...
  3. Dual boot Ubuntu

Dual boot Ubuntu: I tried 'Ubuntu' for a while. Later got the drive deleted. [ATTACH] But the Ubuntu Boot Manager is there in the BIOS ? How can I remove that? Dr Abdul Rasheed https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dual-boot-ubuntu/8d273b76-c1f2-4f23-9ba6-28a4c96b9141
  4. Dual booting Ubuntu and Windows 10, can't boot into Ubuntu

in Windows 10 Support
    Dual booting Ubuntu and Windows 10, can't boot into Ubuntu: I've dual booted my computer with Ubuntu, I was able to boot into it for a while until windows updated itself and now it skips over the Linux boot menu. Secure and fast boot are both disabled. I've tried adding Ubuntu onto the Windows boot menu but I can't get that to work...
  5. Removing GRUB from a Windows and Ubuntu Dual-boot Setup

Removing GRUB from a Windows and Ubuntu Dual-boot Setup: Hi! I am removing my Ubuntu from a dual-boot laptop PC and I am following this guide to do it: https://itsfoss.com/uninstall-ubuntu-linux-windows-dual-boot/ However, I am skeptical of the sixth step, saying: Step 6: In the command line, type the following command to...
  6. Dual boot with Ubuntu

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Dual boot with Ubuntu: Hello, I wanted to dual boot with ubuntu on HDD while my windows is on SSD. Most tutorials I have seen usually show the option to select the OS they want to boot into when they start the computer. I was wondering if there is a way where I could always boot into windows...
  7. Dual boot with Ubuntu gone

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Dual boot with Ubuntu gone: Suddenly my grub is gone and when I boot my device goes directly to the Windows 10. Can I remove Ubuntu through Windows without concerns or should I need to be careful because grub is still around and probably will brick my PC? Thanks! submitted by /u/Johan144 [link]...
  8. Remove Ubuntu dual-boot

Remove Ubuntu dual-boot: I currently have a Surface Pro 1 with Windows 10 that also has Ubuntu installed on it as well. I would like to remove Ubuntu and restore the default Windows boot manager. Right now, it's currently doing a Windows 10 reset (Remove all files from all drives and clean them),...
  9. Ubuntu Dual Boot

Ubuntu Dual Boot: I am using the non-metro Windows 10 boot loader to manage a dual boot setup (legacy BIOS) with Ubuntu. Generally, everything works fine. However, sometimes when I perform an update in Ubuntu, grub overwrites the Windows MBR. Then I have to use EasyBCD to restore the Windows...
  10. Cleaning up removal of Dual Boot with Ubuntu

Cleaning up removal of Dual Boot with Ubuntu: I set up Ubuntu in dual boot with Win 10 and tried to replace it with Mint, which failed at installation. I then had a "grub rescue" prompt regardless of what I tried. I fixed the mbr by booting from Win 7 .iso and running Bootrec /fixmbr. I can now boot into Win 10...