Windows 10: Remove duplicate default program entry

Discus and support Remove duplicate default program entry in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; After a bout with some spyware, I found that I have two entries for Firefox in my list of default programs in Win 10 settings. One won't let me pick... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by JimmyW, Dec 7, 2018.

1. JimmyW Win User

Remove duplicate default program entry

After a bout with some spyware, I found that I have two entries for Firefox in my list of default programs in Win 10 settings. One won't let me pick Firefox as the default browser when I choose that one. I want to remove it from the list. Is there a quick way? See the screenshot. Thanks!

:)

JimmyW, Dec 7, 2018

2. Removing duplicate app entries from the default files list

I removed a program (Firefox) from my system, but when I go to Default Apps and click on the default (now Chrome) browser, Firefox remains in the options list even though I just uninstalled it. I uninstalled Firefox because I was getting multiple entries
    for it in the Default Apps list, and intended to remove the remaining duplicate entry. How do I do that?

RogerBlair1, Dec 7, 2018
  3. Jaune Bel Win User
    Removing duplicate app entries from the default files list

Hi Roger,

There's a possibility that Firefox isn't uninstalled completely on your computer. We suggest that you uninstall it in the
    Settings app by following these steps:

• On Start, select that cog icon or Settings.
    • Go to Apps and select the program that you want to uninstall.
    • Select Uninstall and follow the instructions on the screen.

This will completely remove Firefox from your system and from the Default Apps list. You can also check and save this article that in case you need a guide to

repair or remove programs in Windows 10

Let us know how it goes and we'll assist you further.

If you found our suggestion helpful, kindly mark this post as answer so we can help other Community members that have the same question.

Jaune Bel, Dec 7, 2018
  4. canufrank Win User

How to remove leftovers/duplicates from the "Show notifications from these apps" list?

Like the OP, I have duplicates in my list, as well as entries for uninstalled programs. In my case, uTorrent has 1 entry although it is not installed. Also, "The Witcher 2 Launcher Application" has sixteen (16!) entries. Uninstalling it removed none of
    the entries.

I tried removal by deleting the ...\TrayNotify\IconStreams & PastIconStreams registry entries to no avail.

Like Louis above, I can confirm that disk cleanup does nothing.

Another user on the same PC has just 5 programs listed (one of which is not on my list; the other 4 are; neither of the problem 2 listed are).

Can anyone help in lieu of the generic suggestion? Programs must register these entries. How can we unregister them?

Build 10586

canufrank, Dec 7, 2018
Thema:

1. Remove duplicate default program entry - Similar Threads - Remove duplicate default

2. Removing a stuck program entry from program list

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Removing a stuck program entry from program list: If a program has been kind of removed but is stuck on the program list, are there any better ways to remove or is it only system restore which takes forever?...
  3. Removing a stuck program entry from program list

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Removing a stuck program entry from program list: If a program has been kind of removed but is stuck on the program list, are there any better ways to remove or is it only system restore which takes forever?...
  4. Removing a stuck program entry from program list

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Removing duplicate programs

Removing duplicate programs: One of my system management apps (Wise) seems to list duplicates of a few of my installed programs., one example is Mighty Text which seems to have more than a half dozen copies. Most other utilities such as uninstallers and file managers are only showing the one copy. I have...
  6. Duplication of entries

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Duplication of entries: Last week, I was told my One Drive was almost full. I found that most of the entries had duplicated themselves. It took hours to go through and eliminate all of the duplicates. Whenever I add a photo to an album, if it begins a sync cycle, the photo duplicates itself, but...
  7. Windows is Removing Program Defaults

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows is Removing Program Defaults: I just started using a different computer at work. This computer has Windows 10. I set my default photo viewer to the Photos app (because there was no default set), and I set my default internet browser to Firefox (it was set to Internet Explorer by default). But every...
  8. duplicate calendar entry removal

duplicate calendar entry removal: How do I remove duplicate calendar entries? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/duplicate-calendar-entry-removal/531fb2c8-b531-41a0-a911-be716fa4ccc4
  9. Remove duplicate default program entry

Remove duplicate default program entry: After a bout with some spyware, I found that I have two entries for Firefox in my list of default programs in Win 10 settings. One won't let me pick Firefox as the default browser when I choose that one. I want to remove it from the list. Is there a quick way? See the...
  10. Duplicate entries in registry

in Windows 10 Support
    Duplicate entries in registry: I have found hundreds of duplicate entries in Windows 10 registry, is there a way to remove them simply? Just a few: [img] 99409