Windows 10: Remove duplicate Firefox installation cleanly

Discus and support Remove duplicate Firefox installation cleanly in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Version 1909 Somehow I ended up with two Firefoxes installed. (It pretty much has to be my fault). They are both 64 bit and the same version. One is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by nonobaddog, Oct 22, 2020.

1. Remove duplicate Firefox installation cleanly

Version 1909

Somehow I ended up with two Firefoxes installed. (It pretty much has to be my fault).
    They are both 64 bit and the same version. One is in Program Files/Mozilla Firefox and the other is in Users/xxxx/AppData/Local/Mozilla Firefox.
    If I go into Settings/Apps & Features it only shows one Firefox and if I go to uninstall from there it does not show any clues as to which one would be uninstalled or maybe both, who knows - it is not very informative or friendly there.
    I would like to keep the one in Program Files. Is there a way to uninstall the one in Users in a clean way that will clean up the registry too? (There are over 100 instances of that path in the registry) Could it be as simple as running the uninstall helper.exe in that folder?
    Or should I uninstall both and reinstall one? And will that clean up the registry? This is a fairly new Windows install, I hate to see it all polluted already.

This should be easy but I am new to Windows 10 so of course it isn't.

:)

nonobaddog, Oct 22, 2020

2. Removing duplicate app entries from the default files list

I removed a program (Firefox) from my system, but when I go to Default Apps and click on the default (now Chrome) browser, Firefox remains in the options list even though I just uninstalled it. I uninstalled Firefox because I was getting multiple entries
    for it in the Default Apps list, and intended to remove the remaining duplicate entry. How do I do that?

RogerBlair1, Oct 22, 2020
  3. Jaune Bel Win User
    Removing duplicate app entries from the default files list

Hi Roger,

There's a possibility that Firefox isn't uninstalled completely on your computer. We suggest that you uninstall it in the
    Settings app by following these steps:

• On Start, select that cog icon or Settings.
    • Go to Apps and select the program that you want to uninstall.
    • Select Uninstall and follow the instructions on the screen.

This will completely remove Firefox from your system and from the Default Apps list. You can also check and save this article that in case you need a guide to

repair or remove programs in Windows 10

Let us know how it goes and we'll assist you further.

If you found our suggestion helpful, kindly mark this post as answer so we can help other Community members that have the same question.

Jaune Bel, Oct 22, 2020
  4. Remove duplicate Firefox installation cleanly

How to remove duplicate files in Windows 10.

Thank you for the suggestion. I need to see a list of duplicate files and select those I want to eliminate. Does the program you suggested compare file content or do they simply point out duplicate
    file names?

SteveWahlstrom, Oct 22, 2020
Thema:

Remove duplicate Firefox installation cleanly

1. Remove duplicate Firefox installation cleanly - Similar Threads - Remove duplicate Firefox

2. remove duplicate photos

in Windows 10 Gaming
    remove duplicate photos: How do I remove duplicate photos? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/remove-duplicate-photos/e4a289b1-8239-4bd8-8cd8-f5d0e2d7ae96
  3. Duplicate 'File Clean up

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Duplicate 'File Clean up: I am using Windows 11 on an HP laptop. I am looking for a software package that will look at the files on the system and on my cloud storage space One Drive and generate a list of duplicate files and their location. I would then take a look at the files to determine which...
  4. Duplicate 'File Clean up

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Duplicate 'File Clean up: I am using Windows 11 on an HP laptop. I am looking for a software package that will look at the files on the system and on my cloud storage space One Drive and generate a list of duplicate files and their location. I would then take a look at the files to determine which...
  5. Remove duplicate Firefox installation cleanly

in Browsers and Email
    Remove duplicate Firefox installation cleanly: Version 1909 Somehow I ended up with two Firefoxes installed. (It pretty much has to be my fault). They are both 64 bit and the same version. One is in Program Files/Mozilla Firefox and the other is in Users/xxxx/AppData/Local/Mozilla Firefox. If I go into Settings/Apps &...
  6. remove duplicate photos

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    remove duplicate photos: How do I remove duplicate photos from my computer. I'm on Windows 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/remove-duplicate-photos/c74792c1-cfd3-4e0f-853b-9a35905be29d
  7. Removing windows.old after clean install

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Removing windows.old after clean install: I performed a clean install of windows 10. Is there any reason why I should not simply delete the files within windows.old ?? Thank you https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/removing-windowsold-after-clean-install/08193a9c-4489-4a24-9132-d87bae7b167f
  8. Want a Clean Install of Mozilla Firefox.

in Browsers and Email
    Want a Clean Install of Mozilla Firefox.: I am trying to do a "clean install" of Mozilla Firefox because it stopped working. It would not open properly. A simple uninstall from Programs and Features then a Reinstall of Firefox did not fix the problem. After an uninstall of Mozilla Firefox. There are 2 folders...
  9. Clean Install Firefox 59.0.1 and problems.

in Browsers and Email
    Clean Install Firefox 59.0.1 and problems.: Before clean Install. -------------------------- I updated Firefox to 59.0.1. Pages were not loading fully. After I went through many posts in this forum and else where, I disabled hardware acceleration in options. But one suggested successive update may be problem. clean...
  10. Removing duplicate files

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Removing duplicate files: I don't trust free duplicate file finders. Is there a way to find and delete duplicate files easily from a folder in Windows 10 that does not require using another program? 38286