Windows 10: Remove entries from 'Open With'?

Discus and support Remove entries from 'Open With'? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; What is the easiest way to remove unwanted entries from the list that appears after right clicking a file and choosing Open With please? I have added... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Terrypin, Nov 29, 2017.

1. Terrypin Win User

Remove entries from 'Open With'?

What is the easiest way to remove unwanted entries from the list that appears after right clicking a file and choosing Open With please? I have added successive versions of a program but don't see a simple 'Remove' option.

Terry, East Grinstead, UK

:)

Terrypin, Nov 29, 2017
  2. Qiloff Win User

remove entry from add/remove programs

The uninstall utility might have entries which point to non existing programs (apps). Programs which were deleted from inside the program, but it's uninstall procedure did not clean out the registry entry. I have found no way of removing the offending entry
    with out editing the registry. The conventional place to search the registry for these errant entries is:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall

I also found additional uninstall registry entries at:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall

Use safe practices when editing the registry.

Qiloff, Nov 29, 2017
  3. windows startup issue .vbs script autorun

The startup entry was added by Malware, but the executable seems to have been removed or quarantined by your anti-virus. Open Task Manager > Startup tab and disable "Microsoft Windows Based Scripting Host" entry from startup.

Follow up with a thorough scan using MalwareBytes Anti-Malware &
    Junkware Removal Tool.

Ramesh Srinivasan, Nov 29, 2017
  4. telepro21 Win User
  5. Terrypin Win User
    Thanks, much appreciate the fast reply. Using the registry hack described in the second of your links solved the problem.

Terrypin, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Remove entries from 'Open With'?

1. Remove entries from 'Open With'? - Similar Threads - Remove entries 'Open

2. Remove corrupted entries from the installed Apps list

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Remove corrupted entries from the installed Apps list: I had an external hard drive I had used as the install location for several applications. The hard drive failed. The apps appear in the installed apps list but have no associated uninstaller. I am unable to remove or uninstall these apps. I've tried IObit Uninstaller, but it...
  3. How to remove broken entries from default apps

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to remove broken entries from default apps: The keywords are unfortunate and didn't lead to relevant results, just posts trying to remove the default Microsoft apps. I'm trying to remove dead entries that don't work from the default apps settings. Does a method exist?...
  4. Removing a stuck program entry from program list

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Removing a stuck program entry from program list: If a program has been kind of removed but is stuck on the program list, are there any better ways to remove or is it only system restore which takes forever?...
  5. Is it safe to remove entries from HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT registry?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Is it safe to remove entries from HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT registry?: Hello, I have uninstalled TeamViewer and want to make sure there are no leftovers. I noticed that in HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT registry there are the following five folders and sub-folders: - TeamViewer.Application\Curver - TeamViewer.Application.1\CLSID -...
  6. Removing an entry from appwiz that's not in the Uninstall key

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Removing an entry from appwiz that's not in the Uninstall key: I have a program in the appwiz.cpl that doesn't exist under the CurrentVerstion\Uninstall of either the HKLM or the HKCU. Any ideas where else I can look to remove this? submitted by /u/Maladal [link] [comments]...
  7. Help me remove an entry from a jumplist.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Help me remove an entry from a jumplist.: I have a Notepad document in my Taskbar jump list which will not go away. When I click on it, a message tells me that the document cannot be found. It may have been moved or renamed. Would I like to delete the entry? When I click Yes, nothing happens. The document is still on...
  8. Remove an Entry from 'Start-up' list

in Windows 10 Support
    Remove an Entry from 'Start-up' list: Hello,A week or two ago I ran a portable program (not installed) if it suits me.After some tests I just deleted the folder with the files because it did not suit me.Recently I noticed it is in the 'start-up' list, tried to delete it - I was refused, so I selected to disable...
  9. Remove "Other Options" entry from "Open With" program list

in Windows 10 Support
    Remove "Other Options" entry from "Open With" program list: Hi at all! Does someone know how to remove this entry? [img] Thanks in advance! 123520
  10. How to remove entry's from startup

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    How to remove entry's from startup: Hello all,is there a way to remove entry's from the startup menu? I know you can disable them but i would like to remove entry's to some programs that are not even on my computer but are still listed in the startup menu as disabled. (I like to keep things looking neat)*Smile...