Windows 10: Remove Extraneous Partitions on HDD Samsung Series 7 Chronos laptop

Discus and support Remove Extraneous Partitions on HDD Samsung Series 7 Chronos laptop in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; So I used the Windows 10 installation media to put the Windows 10 installation files on a flash drive, and the installed Windows 10 onto my Samsung... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by JohnTravolski, Jul 1, 2018.

1. Remove Extraneous Partitions on HDD Samsung Series 7 Chronos laptop

So I used the Windows 10 installation media to put the Windows 10 installation files on a flash drive, and the installed Windows 10 onto my Samsung Series 7 Chronos laptop (it's old, it originally shipped with Windows 8; not 8.1, 8). After the installation, I went into the Disk Managment and noticed this:

Remove Extraneous Partitions on HDD Samsung Series 7 Chronos laptop [​IMG]

Notice all of the partitions on the C drive! I don't know how they were created and which ones are important, but I'm fairly confident that most of them DON'T need to be there.

Unfortunately, Disk Management will not let me remove any of the 6 partitions directly, and I'm pretty sure that it should only have 3 partitions, one for Windows Boot Manager, one for my files, and the other one created by Samsung for system recovery. Unfortunately, I have NO idea which partition corresponds to what (except the 900 GB one being for my operating system, obviously), and I honestly don't know how to remove the extra ones that I don't need.

How can I determine which partitions of this hard drive that I don't need, and how can I actually get rid of them?

For reference, my specific laptop's model number is NP700Z5C-S02UB if that helps.

:)

JohnTravolski, Jul 1, 2018
  2. W1zzard Win User

W7 Hard drive partition issue

to get rid of that 100 meg windows partition that setup creates for you on a new install on a blank hdd:

- press shift+f10 when on the partition management screen in setup <-- this opens a command prompt
    - diskpart <-- start the windows command line partition management tool
    - list disk <--- list the installed hdds in this computer for the next step
    - select disk 0 <- might have to replace 0 with the number of the correct disk
    - clean <-- this will erase all data on the disk you selected one step up- dont use the wrong disk!
    - create partition primary <- creates a primary partition taking up all space on the drive, adjust the command if necessary
    - exit, exit to exit diskpart and the command prompt
    - click refresh in partition manager and select your newly created partition and install to that

W1zzard, Jul 1, 2018
  3. SSD Drive as Boot Drive and HDD Drive as Storage, how do I do it?

Remove the HDD. Install Windows on SSD. Then insert the HDD. Now SSD should be your boot drive with HDD as a storage drive.

If Windows doesn't boot,

1) Check Boot priority in BIOS and set your SSD on top of the list.

2) If still doesn't work, then create a 200MB Fat32 partition on the HDD(call it whatever you want) then boot into the windows 10 installer via a usb, launch command prompt with SHIFT + F10 and run the following:

bcdboot C:\Windows /l en-en /s B: /f UEFI

where B: is the drive letter for the 200MB partition (it could be any other drive letter for you).

Note: the drive letter with windows could be different, so either poke around command prompt to find out or launch DISKPART and run show volumes to find the partition.

The only downside to this solution is that if the HDD fails you lose boot capabilities. To get around this you could create a ISO of the 200mb boot drive and upload it for safe keeping and burn it to a usb flash disk in case of emergencies.

Source: ENVY 15t-j000 mSATA SSD + HDD fresh install, with mSATA as boot
    drive

Harsimran17, Jul 1, 2018
  4. Remove Extraneous Partitions on HDD Samsung Series 7 Chronos laptop

Boot windows installation within a partition?

Damnit, I knew thats what you wanted with your first post! I deleted my post because JMCSLOB confused me lol.

Hm, if you Follow this guide (Replace words "flash driive" with 160GB hard drive) How to Create a Bootable Windows 7 or Vista USB Drive for both partitions and then to do a dummy install of windows 8 on the last part of the HDD it should give you the option to boot Windows 7/8 Installer or boot into windows 8.
    Edit: On step 4 you will want to make sure you size the partition correctly... or you can use the windows gui tool in control panel.

Once you get that far you can just delete windows 8 from the boot menu using MSCONFIG and delete the partition.

slyfox2151, Jul 1, 2018
Thema:

Remove Extraneous Partitions on HDD Samsung Series 7 Chronos laptop

1. Remove Extraneous Partitions on HDD Samsung Series 7 Chronos laptop - Similar Threads - Remove Extraneous Partitions

2. Laptop with windows 11 won't connect to samsung tv series 7

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop with windows 11 won't connect to samsung tv series 7: I just wonder is there any way I can cast my screen on a Samsung TV Series 7 without having to downgrade to Windows 10? It seems silly if you ask me having to downgrade Windows because Samsung TV can't connect to it due to its fairly new appearance but is there any other way...
  3. Laptop with windows 11 won't connect to samsung tv series 7

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Laptop with windows 11 won't connect to samsung tv series 7: I just wonder is there any way I can cast my screen on a Samsung TV Series 7 without having to downgrade to Windows 10? It seems silly if you ask me having to downgrade Windows because Samsung TV can't connect to it due to its fairly new appearance but is there any other way...
  4. How to run 4k display on Samsung Chronos NP780 Laptop (Win10Pro-2004)

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    How to run 4k display on Samsung Chronos NP780 Laptop (Win10Pro-2004): I have a Samsung laptop (NP780) which has integrated Intel HD4000 graphics and an AMD Radeon 8800 graphics card but i am having problems trying to get it to run a 4k monitor resolution. I know I need to use a custom resolution with a lower refresh rate (as HDMI 1.4 doesn't...
  5. Samsung Series 7 slate is not turning on

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Samsung Series 7 slate is not turning on: I've left it charging for 8 hours and have pressed all the buttons at the same time, and the computer still doesnt turn on. If someone could help ASAP that would be great! Thanks...
  6. **HELP** Clean Windows 10 Install on Samsung Series 7 Chronos notebook using Samsung Evo...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    **HELP** Clean Windows 10 Install on Samsung Series 7 Chronos notebook using Samsung Evo...: Hello I just installed a new Samsung 860 EVO SSD into my Samsung Series 7 Chronos Model NP700Z5A ( NP700Z5A-S04US ). Ok, I am booting from a usb drive that has the windows iso image. I get through the whole install process and once the laptop restarts it takes me back to...
  7. Windows 10 display brightness slider disappeared on Samsung Series 7 Chronos

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows 10 display brightness slider disappeared on Samsung Series 7 Chronos: Hello, I have a Samsung Series 7 Chronos laptop with an Intel Core i7 and a Radeon 8600/8700M graphics card. Yesterday, I noticed the brightness of the laptop screen was very dim when the laptop unplugged, but the screen was very bright when plugged in. I right clicked...
  8. Remove Extraneous Partitions on HDD Boot Drive Windows 10

in Windows 10 Support
    Remove Extraneous Partitions on HDD Boot Drive Windows 10: So I used the Windows 10 installation media to put the Windows 10 installation files on a flash drive, and the installed Windows 10 onto my Samsung Series 7 Chronos laptop (it's old, it originally shipped with Windows 8; not 8.1, 8). After the installation, I went into the...
  9. Windows 10 Boot Time on Samsung Series 7 Chronos SLOW!

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows 10 Boot Time on Samsung Series 7 Chronos SLOW!: I recently upgraded to Win 10 on my Samsung Series 7 Chronos note book. I went from a boot time of 15 seconds to a 3 min boot time on Windows 10. I already tried disabling non essential start up programs, defragged my HDD, activated hybrid power, and performed a deep virus...
  10. Function Key Not Working - Samsung Series 7 Laptop

in Windows 10 Support
    Function Key Not Working - Samsung Series 7 Laptop: Hello, I recently upgraded to Windows 10. I soon discovered that my Function key did not work for the majority of keys. I have a Samsung Series 7 Chronos. It does not work with brightness, backlight, wifi on/off, fan... etc. The key does work with volume so I know...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to check hdd on samsung chronos 7

2. how do i replace the hhd in my samsung 7 chronos