Windows 10: Remove GPT partition and Reset USB flash drive back to factory setting

Discus and support Remove GPT partition and Reset USB flash drive back to factory setting in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi, I have a USB flash drive that has previously been used by Rufus so it has a GPT partition style. I'd like to wipe it clean and put it back to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by sportsfan148, Aug 30, 2019.

1. Remove GPT partition and Reset USB flash drive back to factory setting

Hi,
    I have a USB flash drive that has previously been used by Rufus so it has a GPT partition style. I'd like to wipe it clean and put it back to factory settings (MBR partition, FAT32 etc).
    Ive been told before that GPT has a second (backup) partition table at the end of the disk and I'm not sure if clean deletes that. I know there is a Clean All option but I don't know what that does. Does a Full Format instead of a quick format do exactly the same thing as Clean All would do? I want to ensure that it is free from all GPT partitions. What is the correct way to do it with Diskpart? Below, Ive listed my standard commands for resetting a standard MBR flash drive. I always use convert MBR just to be sure *Smile What else do I need to add to these commands to ensure GPT partitioning is fully removed and the flash drive is properly returned to factory settings?
    diskpart
    list disk
    select disk #
    clean
    convert mbr
    create partition primary
    format fs=fat32 quick
    active
    assign
    exit

:)

sportsfan148, Aug 30, 2019
  2. lx07 Win User

How do you reset a USB flash drive back to factory settings?

Usually they are mbr partition table (not gpt), FAT32 and usually not marked active (active means a legacy BIOS based PC will boot it).

I'd make sure they are mbr not gpt, drop the "quick" so as to write zeros over the disk and not mark them active. Like this:

diskpart
    list disk
    select disk #
    clean
    convert mbr
    create partition primary
    format fs=fat32 quick
    active
    exit

It assigns the next free letter to the Windows PC you are running it on. So if you plug in a USB key and it assigns it letter J in File Explorer it will (try to) reserve this letter for that USB so next time you plug it in it gets the same letter. It doesn't write anything to the USB only in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices on the PC concerned.

3. DirectorC Win User
    Partition a USB Flash Drive

This is the scary stuff that happens when you use Google:

'USB flash drives cannot be partitioned in the Windows operating if the drive is identified as removable media. The only way to partition the USB flash drive is to flip the removable bit so that it is recognized as fixed media instead which can be partitioned like any normal hard drive'

Infoz/Appz:
    You searched for Boot It USB – Lancelhoff.com

Partition USB Flash Drives - gHacks Tech News

I got that from searching for 'partition flash drive'.

I should get paid for this.

DirectorC, Aug 30, 2019
  4. Remove GPT partition and Reset USB flash drive back to factory setting

Partition a USB Flash Drive

I've tried that information and it doesnt work. I've tried this on 4-5 different usb flash drives as well... and, again... Acronis does not work. its been tried a few times

Morrison5891, Aug 30, 2019
Thema:

Remove GPT partition and Reset USB flash drive back to factory setting

1. Remove GPT partition and Reset USB flash drive back to factory setting - Similar Threads - Remove GPT partition

2. New partition showing after USB Flash reset.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    New partition showing after USB Flash reset.: Hey everyone, I did a reset of my laptop because it might've been infected by something.When I loaded the USB Flash and asked me to what drive I wanted to install Windows 11 I saw 5 partitions. I formatted the main drive and I saw a recovery drive, since I didn't need the...
  3. New partition showing after USB Flash reset.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    New partition showing after USB Flash reset.: Hey everyone, I did a reset of my laptop because it might've been infected by something.When I loaded the USB Flash and asked me to what drive I wanted to install Windows 11 I saw 5 partitions. I formatted the main drive and I saw a recovery drive, since I didn't need the...
  4. Partition a USB Flash Drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Partition a USB Flash Drive: I followed :https://www.wikihow.com/Partition-a-Thumb-Drive - to partition USB Flash But I got an error in partitioining the second part , it says "The operation failed to complete because the Disk Management Console view is not up-to-date" tried to refresh or restart but...
  5. Partition a USB Flash Drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Partition a USB Flash Drive: I followed :https://www.wikihow.com/Partition-a-Thumb-Drive - to partition USB Flash But I got an error in partitioining the second part , it says "The operation failed to complete because the Disk Management Console view is not up-to-date" tried to refresh or restart but...
  6. Partitioning a Flash Drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Partitioning a Flash Drive: I purchased a Samsung 2 Tb flash drive and tried to partition it. It appeared that I first needed to change it from exfat to NTFS so I did using Windows 10 Disk Management. I then created a 1 Tb partition that appears to be okay but I haven’t tried using it yet. I then...
  7. Back up to USB Flash drive

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Back up to USB Flash drive: When backing up my laptop I use the Windows 7 back up procedure in control panel to create a system image to a usb hard drive. I recently advised my mate that he should do the same with his laptop so he purchased a 256gb USB flash drive. When we attempt to do the back up of...
  8. Remove GPT partition and Reset USB flash drive back to factory setting

in Windows 10 Support
    Remove GPT partition and Reset USB flash drive back to factory setting: Hi, I have a USB flash drive that has previously been used by Rufus so it has a GPT partition style. I'd like to wipe it clean and put it back to factory settings (MBR partition, FAT32 etc). Ive been told before that GPT has a second (backup) partition table at the end of the...
  9. How do you reset a USB flash drive back to factory settings?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How do you reset a USB flash drive back to factory settings?: Hi All, Ive a couple of USB flash drives that I'd like to wipe clean and factory set them back to the way they were when I bought them. What is the correct way to do it with Diskpart? I know you can format the drive but I want to set everything up..partitions etc back to the...
  10. How to Set a USB Flash Drive Partition as Inactive?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How to Set a USB Flash Drive Partition as Inactive?: I have a USB flash drive which for some reason is formatted with an active partition. I usually use Minitool Partition Wizard to set a partition as inactive but for some reason it doesn't work on this flash drive. I also tried booting from the Partition Wizard boot disk...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to manually properly configure drive or flash drive to be bootable