Windows 10: Remove hard drive with old OS (win7)

Discus and support Remove hard drive with old OS (win7) in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi I tried to remove the SSD drive E: with the old OS (win7) so I can use it with my old motherboard/CPU as a backup PC. But the PC doesn't boot up.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by AngeloT2, Dec 24, 2018.

1. AngeloT2 Win User

Remove hard drive with old OS (win7)

Hi

I tried to remove the SSD drive E: with the old OS (win7) so I can use it with my old motherboard/CPU as a backup PC.

But the PC doesn't boot up. I go to BIOS and choose the drive C: with the new OS (win10) but it doesn't boot up. When I connect back the E: boots up fine. Why I need the old drive to boot up?

:)

AngeloT2, Dec 24, 2018
  2. little cat, Dec 24, 2018
  3. xarzu Win User
    new system old hard drive...

I have an old hard drive that has those old ribbon connections to transfer data to the mother board.

I have a new computer that mostly uses those cool little ATA (I think that is what they are called) connections.

The new computer has a Vista OS.

I opened up the case and I was supprised to see on the motherboard a wide ribbon connection and so I connected the old hard drive and a free power connection.

When I turned on the computer, the system started up like usual and did not notice the new hard drive.

I went to the Control Pannel and did an automatic add hard drive call and it did not find the old hard drive.

Any suggestions?

xarzu, Dec 24, 2018
  4. Sanhime Win User

Cloning from 1TB to 2TB hard drive

Whats a good free imaging/cloning program? I have a 1TB hard drive with Win7 and I want to seamlessly migrate my stuff to a 2TB hard drive. Any suggestions?

Sanhime, Dec 24, 2018
Thema:

1. Remove hard drive with old OS (win7) - Similar Threads - Remove hard drive

2. factory resetting laptop after replaced old used hard drive: original OS was win7 but...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    factory resetting laptop after replaced old used hard drive: original OS was win7 but...: im asking what will happen and/or how to factory reset my current hp laptop.the current laptop in question, originally had windows10 but i dropped it & ruined the hard drive. i replaced the hard drive with an old used one out of an ancient laptop which had windows7, that i...
  3. factory resetting laptop after replaced old used hard drive: original OS was win7 but...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    factory resetting laptop after replaced old used hard drive: original OS was win7 but...: im asking what will happen and/or how to factory reset my current hp laptop.the current laptop in question, originally had windows10 but i dropped it & ruined the hard drive. i replaced the hard drive with an old used one out of an ancient laptop which had windows7, that i...
  4. factory resetting laptop after replaced old used hard drive: original OS was win7 but...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Remove OS from OLD Hard Disk Drive

Remove OS from OLD Hard Disk Drive: Hello, I installed an SSD on my Laptop. I did a fresh install of Windows 10 on the SSD and formatted the old HDD, but somehow when I boot up my laptop it still goes to the Windows Boot Manager asking which operating system to use. I probably made a mistake because the HDD...
  6. Removing Windows from an old hard drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Removing Windows from an old hard drive: How do I remove Windows from an old hard drive without reformatting it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/removing-windows-from-an-old-hard-drive/c902e4cf-8e2f-4b69-81b9-c8d6954a1a4f"
  7. New Windows 10 machine. Old external Win7 Hard drive

New Windows 10 machine. Old external Win7 Hard drive: I recently had my Win7 machine fail on me. The hard drive is fine, so I bought a new Win10 laptop. I want to transfer my files and programs over from the old Win 7 drive to the new Win 10 computer. I have it mounted externally already. I can not boot to the Win7...
  8. OS hard drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    OS hard drive: I recently installed a second hard drive for more data storage and now my computer thinks the OS is on a flash drive and won't update Windows 10. The original hard drive (C:) contains the OS and is identified in the system as bus number 0. The new hard drive (J:) contains...
  9. Will reformatting hard drive remove Linux OS ?

Will reformatting hard drive remove Linux OS ?: I have installed Linux Cinnamon 18.1 on another pc to try and i cannot remove it to re-install Windows 10 back on...i have tried altering BIOS Boot order by putting USB bootable Windows 10 flash drive but there is no option there for USB.. i tried creating a bootable 4.7 Gb...
  10. Remove Old OS

Remove Old OS: I was running 7 and wanting a fresh install for 10. I created a new partition and installed 10. Now after a bit I'd like to format the old partition where win 7 is running but I'm afraid the boot manager still resides on there. I've gone into system configuration and into the...