Windows 10: Remove item from "Open with..." list (Not the FileExt registry)

Discus and support Remove item from "Open with..." list (Not the FileExt registry) in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I have an app in the "Open with..." list that is not in the location everyone on the internet is pointing to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by michalhz, Jun 21, 2019.

1. michalhz Win User

Remove item from "Open with..." list (Not the FileExt registry)

I have an app in the "Open with..." list that is not in the location everyone on the internet is pointing to (HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\)

What are other places that the key could be hidden ?

E1: Ok found it, i guess generally it would be *ext*file\shell, interesting
    (Computer\HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\pngfile\shell\)

:)

michalhz, Jun 21, 2019

2. How to remove items in OPEN WITH

When i right click on a HTML file then select open with it lists things like google chrome,Microsoft edge but also some bizarre things like Microsoft jigsaw. I notice also that when i right click on different files different things will appear in the open with menu.
    My question is how do i remove some of these items from the list or is it going to be a lengthily search through the registry (not that i mind editing the registry) its just i don't want to spend forever in there to remove a couple of things.

thank you.

sea skimmer, Jun 21, 2019
  3. DSD
    DSD Win User
    How do I remove items in the "Open With" list?

It seems like this should work. I changed the setting so 7z wasn't associated with anything, then went to choose default apps and .7z file wasn't in the list. But everything looks the same in the Open With list when right clicking the file. I even tried uninstalling and re-installing 7zip. There must be some setting somewhere that Windows keeps even when a program is uninstalled. I also ran a registry cleaner in between uninstalling and re-installing.

Remove item from "Open with..." list (Not the FileExt registry) [​IMG]

Remove item from "Open with..." list (Not the FileExt registry) [​IMG]

4. Remove item from "Open with..." list (Not the FileExt registry)

"Recent Items" list vs Opening a folder for Recent Items

Remove item from "Open with..." list (Not the FileExt registry) :) Hello all... I am not understanding how MS elected removed the list of recent files and replaced it with opening a folder to see the recent files. That is now a 2 step process because you have to close the folder. I used the "recent items" a lot and I miss it - I'm sure others do ass well.
    The solutions offered here only are partial, they only add the link to the start menu / jump lists, but those still open an actual folder which then has to be closed. If you open multiple files, then you have to close multiple folders. Odd...
    I'm not a programmer - but I'm thinking (hoping!) that someone around here may be knowledgeable enough to find a way to return the actual "Recent Items" list, without opening a folder.
    I'm thinking I may not be alone on this one...
    Thank you!!

sunnyorlando, Jun 21, 2019
Thema:

Remove item from "Open with..." list (Not the FileExt registry)

1. Remove item from "Open with..." list (Not the FileExt registry) - Similar Threads - Remove item Open

2. Unable to remove an item from the exclusion list

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Unable to remove an item from the exclusion list: Hi, after running a full scan with windows defender, it has helped to remove some malware threats. However, after doing another full scan for good measure, I've encountered this issue where the system notifies me about "Items skipped during scan". When I clicked into the...
  3. Change "Open with" list items

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Change "Open with" list items: Hi! I have difficulties changing open with menu items. My current open with menu looks like that: My Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.zip\OpenWith List looks like that: Why doesnt windows respect My...
  4. exclusion list of registry items

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    exclusion list of registry items: I was running the ccleaner registry cleaner, and there was a file that would just not be eliminated. I tried and tried multiple scans and it would not disappear. I highlighted it and saw an option that said "add to exclusion list" . now it doesn't appear in the scan, but is...
  5. Need to remove items from Exclusion List Windows Defender

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Need to remove items from Exclusion List Windows Defender: Hi, I cant seem to remove these from my exclusion list on Windows Defender. Thanks [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/need-to-remove-items-from-exclusion-list-windows/87e8a110-776f-4962-8451-7a70ca560f24
  6. Remove item from "Open with..." list (Not the FileExt registry)

in Windows 10 Support
    Remove item from "Open with..." list (Not the FileExt registry): I have an app in the "Open with..." list that is not in the location everyone on the internet is pointing to (HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\) What are other places that the key could be hidden ? 135231
  7. Can't add or remove items from start list

in Windows 10 Customization
    Can't add or remove items from start list: The situation is I can't add any item to the "start list', which is the list on the left of the start icons. As far as I've read, it's supposed to be as easy as dragging an icon, but it can't be done I get an "x" when I reach the destination at the left. Strange also, is...
  8. How do I remove items in the "Open With" list?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I remove items in the "Open With" list?: I just received my new Laptop/Tablet with Windows 10. I'm not really liking Windows 10 at this point. Anyway I've been installing my programs for a couple of days and downloaded one that auto defaulted to opening in Internet Explorer. Internet Explorer is the wrong program...
  9. How to remove certain items from "all apps" list?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to remove certain items from "all apps" list?: Hey all, Another question I have about Windows 10. Back on Windows 7, under the all programs list I was able to delete anything I didn't want listed there. Unfortunately with Windows 10 I can't remove everything. So I am wondering how can I clean up the "All Apps" list...
  10. Jump List Items not Opening

in Windows 10 Support
    Jump List Items not Opening: Is anyone having the issue where you open your jump list in File Explorer and then click on something like your Videos or Downloads Folder to have the jump list close like normal, but then nothing open? I also noticed that when I right click on the start button, I can't get...