Windows 10: Remove Key License from old Motherboard

Discus and support Remove Key License from old Motherboard in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I have a windows 10 home license I have been using since about 2016. The computer is technically the same device referring to it as a whole, a unit,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by KyleHickey, Mar 9, 2020.

1. Remove Key License from old Motherboard

I have a windows 10 home license I have been using since about 2016. The computer is technically the same device referring to it as a whole, a unit, not by what windows considers the device. More on that in a minute., but I modify my hardware slightly every year or so. new GPU, case, etc. And have actually even installed it on a laptop in the past for a few days as well so also a new motherboard, then moved back to this PC. I am aware of the different activation methods that windows 10 uses, be it digital license, GPL stickers indicating embedded BIOS license, etc. I have never had a problem reactivating.

This time however, I bought a different motherboard altogether. I attempted to enter the license key from my official purchase packaging, off the sticker, it said it was being used on another device. Sure, because the motherboard device ID is what it cares about. I would like to try and avoid purchasing a new copy of windows just because I bought a new motherboard. There are dozens of articles that all say the same thing, including the official one:

http://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20530/windows-10-reactivating-after-hardware-change

None of them work, when they have in the past. So my main question is, is there a way to disassociate my previous key from my old motherboard so that I can use it on this one?

A few details that may make a difference I possibly could be unaware of:

-All previous motherboards this has been activated on laptop and this desktop have been Intel. My new motherboard is AMD, a drastic change in architecture, and undoubtedly the reason it refused to activate this time.

-It is an OEM Windows 10 Home Key, that I purchased from Newegg when I originally built the device. Not sure if OEM key matters.

:)

KyleHickey, Mar 9, 2020
  2. Xylee Del Win User

Windows 10 Pro's license completely glitched out after changing motherboard and CPU

We appreciate your reply. For us to know more about the issue, kindly answer the following questions:

• Did you manage to deactivate Windows 10 Pro first before replacing your motherboard?
    • Do you still have the written copy of your product key?
    • Are you using the same hard disk where your Windows 10 Pro product key has been activated? If not, where is this hard disk?
    • Did you replace your hard disk along with your motherboard and CPU?
    • What is the edition of Windows activated on your computer? To know, press Windows + S. Type About, and click it.

Meanwhile, we recommend that you deactivate and uninstall your Windows 10 Pro license from your old motherboard and reinstall it back on your machine using the steps below:

Step 1: Check your your Windows 10 Pro product key using Windows Powershell or Command prompt. Follow the steps below and note down your product key:

• Press Windows key + X.
    • Click Command Prompt (admin).
    • Enter the following command: wmic path SoftwareLicensingService get OA3xOriginalProductKey
      and press Enter:
    • The product key will be revealed, copy the product key.

Step 2: Deactivate and uninstall the Windows 10 Pro Product Key from the old motherboard since it has your license. Follow the steps below:

• To know the Activation ID of your Windows installation. Open a command prompt using the Windows search box and type in
      slmgr.vbs /dlv and press Enter. This will display the detailed license information for the installed operating system.
    • A window will open up and will give you details about your Windows licensing and activation status. Look for
      Activation ID and note it down.
    • On the same command prompt window, type in slmgr /upk <your Activation ID> and press
      Enter. This uninstalls the product key of the current Windows edition. After a restart, the system will be in an Unlicensed state unless a new product key is installed.

Step 3: Activate your Windows 10 Pro to your machine after uninstalling it due to a hardware change, follow the steps below:

• Open a command prompt using the Windows search box and type in
      slmgr /ipk <Windows Product Key> and press Enter.
    • If the key is valid and applicable, the key is installed. If a key is already installed, it is silently replaced. If the key is invalid, an error is returned.
    • Open your Control Panel you will see Windows is activated message.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Xylee Del, Mar 9, 2020
  3. Activate Windows 10 after motherboard change

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

I built the PC myself and it is\was a retail Windows 8 Pro license upgraded to 10.

The guide listed that I should be able to transfer the license, and following the steps given when selecting "I recently changed hardware" in the activation process it does not list my previous device to select from.

My Microsoft account is logged in on both my old and new motherboard, and my old motherboard is unable to boot at all to deactivate or retrieve any keys.

If my license is indeed available for transfer, how can I proceed from here?

Thanks.

Libertherme, Mar 9, 2020
  4. Vesao Win User

Remove Key License from old Motherboard

Remove account

I suggest you backup your personalized files first before removing the account.
    To delete an account, follow these steps:
    1. Press WIN + X keys and click Command Prompt (Admin) from the menu.
    2. Type the following command and press Enter. Replace test with the name of your sister's account. Code:
      Code:
      net user test /del

Vesao, Mar 9, 2020
Thema:

Remove Key License from old Motherboard

1. Remove Key License from old Motherboard - Similar Threads - Remove Key License

2. From an old motherboard how to delete windows 11 pro key?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    From an old motherboard how to delete windows 11 pro key?: Hello,I have a laptop, but it had to be sent for service because it wasn't working properly. I didn't remove the key before sending it for service, I didn't think they would change the motherboard. They replaced the motherboard, which I did not receive. And now I can't...
  3. From an old motherboard how to delete windows 11 pro key?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    From an old motherboard how to delete windows 11 pro key?: Hello,I have a laptop, but it had to be sent for service because it wasn't working properly. I didn't remove the key before sending it for service, I didn't think they would change the motherboard. They replaced the motherboard, which I did not receive. And now I can't...
  4. Transfer license from Old to new PC without removing old key first.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Transfer license from Old to new PC without removing old key first.: There are quite a few articles on transferring a license from an old to a new PC, but all of them suggest that you disable the old PC before transferring to a new PC. I don't wish to do it that way as I don't want to be in a situation where I don't have a PC. My license is...
  5. Untie digital license from a motherboard

Untie digital license from a motherboard: Hello! Win 10 pro using now. So long story short: I bought a motherboard from a friend who have digital license on the motherboard that now i have. I want to untie the motherboard from that digital license and register it with my MS account. Win is now registered, but with...
  6. License transfer from old PC

License transfer from old PC: Hi there,I'm trying to transfer a windows license from my old PC to my new one.My current PC has Windows 10 Home while my old PC has Windows 10 Pro.I've tried contacting support but it doesn't give me the required help.When asking to speak to somebody it encounters an...
  7. Transferring license key from an old computer to the new one.

Transferring license key from an old computer to the new one.: I have an old HP laptop which I upgraded from Win 7 to Windows 10 and wonder if I can transfer the license key from that laptop before recycling it, to my desktop PC I run with a digital license....
  8. License and changing motherboard

License and changing motherboard: Hi Guys I am changing motherboard soon and I heard that Windows 10 store license in the motherboard ? how and where it was stored ? how to move license to new motherboard ? Thanks 150648
  9. Help Removing windows license key from old computer

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Help Removing windows license key from old computer: hi, tomorrow I'm selling my old computer to a co-worker, and all i took from that computer was the ssd's and hdd's. Today i installed the ssd and hdd he ordered and i installed windows for him. I did not input a key when installing windows, i chose the ''i do not have a...
  10. Transferring windows product key from old motherboard to new one

Transferring windows product key from old motherboard to new one: I changed my hardware very recently (motherboard, cpu, gpu, ram), and now i noticed my windows isn't activated. I tried the troubleshooter, but to no avail. When I try to reactivate my windows 10 by selecting my current device, i get a message "Unable to activate windows. We...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. remove key windows from mainboard