Windows 10: Remove my own child account from an adult account

Discus and support Remove my own child account from an adult account in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; I am 17 years old and got a new laptop for my birthday. Signed into my Microsoft account and noticed under "Family" that I am listed as a child under a... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by darnell13k, Jan 12, 2019.

1. Remove my own child account from an adult account

I am 17 years old and got a new laptop for my birthday. Signed into my Microsoft account and noticed under "Family" that I am listed as a child under a person that is not my parent. How do I remove myself from their adult account so that they can't control my restrictions and whatnot? How old does one have to be, to be considered an adult for account purposes? If it is 18, that's fine, however, I would still rather have my own parent in charge of my account, as I do not have contact with the adult listed, so cannot request from them to remove me.

:)

darnell13k, Jan 12, 2019

2. Changing Adult Account to Child Account

Hi Peter,

To rectify your issue in converting an account from child/teen to an adult, we suggest that you try these steps and see if it helps.

• Press Windows key + I to open Settings.
    • Click Accounts.
    • Click Family and other users on the left pane.
    • Select the adult account and click Change account type.

In addition you may also check this
    Forum article
    to know more details about Family Safety: Frequently Asked Questions.

Let us know how that turned out for you.

Marilou Ser, Jan 12, 2019
  3. Does a child account automatically become an adult account?

How does a child account become a normal adult account? Is this something that happens automatically at a certain age? Or do I as head family account holder have to initiate something?

The reason I ask is because trying to use Edge on a child account is proving tiresome. Despite deleting my son's child account and re-creating it we are launching Edge and it is taking from anywhere between 10 seconds to a minute to become usable. When I say useable I mean the ability to surf, the actual browser is launched and you can go into settings etc BUT no web pages will load despite even typing web addresses in. It's as if Edge is waiting for MS server side to give it some kind of approval before it will allow any web activity. Once it's up and running it's fine but closing the browser session and relaunching Edge will bring back the long delay. Our adult accounts have no such issue using edge. Trying Mozilla Firefox on the child account also poses no such problems. We have no child restrictions setup online for the child account. So really he should be able to use Edge freely. But I feel the activity monitoring is somehow stifling the ability to use Edge.

If it doesn't improve I feel like abandoning the child account and just having him use an adult account instead. At least then Edge will start working quicker. But how does one convert child account to adult account. Or do we have to wait several years for his age to tick over?

Cheers,
    Wayne

Scottyboy99, Jan 12, 2019
  4. Liezl Fal Win User

Remove my own child account from an adult account

converting adult account to child account

Hi,

We would like to verify some information so we can properly isolate the issue.

• Have you converted the existing adult account to a child account before trying to create a new one?
    • Or, were you on the process of converting the adult account to a child account when you got the error message?
    We will wait for your reply.

Regards.

Liezl Fal, Jan 12, 2019
Thema:

Remove my own child account from an adult account

1. Remove my own child account from an adult account - Similar Threads - Remove own child

2. Child account for an Adult

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Child account for an Adult: I was an idiot in 2018 when I created my Microsoft account and put my date of birth as the year I bought the laptop instead of the year of my actual birth in my haste to log into my pc. Now with the family settings and my account as a child account I cannot use it. My partner...
  3. Child account for an Adult

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Child account for an Adult: I was an idiot in 2018 when I created my Microsoft account and put my date of birth as the year I bought the laptop instead of the year of my actual birth in my haste to log into my pc. Now with the family settings and my account as a child account I cannot use it. My partner...
  4. Child account for an Adult

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Converting child account to adult account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Converting child account to adult account: My daughter turned 18 a few weeks ago. Her account had been.a child account. After turning 18, all the content filtering and child restrictions still applied to her account.We tried various suggestions from community discussions to try to fix this problem. None of them...
  6. child account disconnected from adult account that created it

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    child account disconnected from adult account that created it: my childs microsoft is connected to an adult account we do not have access to any more and cant figure out how to get her out of her current family settings to migrate to the active one.the problem is we are trying to give her permission to use minecraft from the microsoft...
  7. Adult account displays as child account

Adult account displays as child account: Hi. I'd like to ask someone for help with Windows 10 and a new account creation.I need to add two accounts - for my wife and for my daughter. Daughter's account is set as a child account, and that's correct.But when I try to add another account for my wife, she is also added...
  8. Adult account displays as child account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Adult account displays as child account: Hi. I'd like to ask someone for help with Windows 10 and a new account creation.I need to add two accounts - for my wife and for my daughter. Daughter's account is set as a child account, and that's correct.But when I try to add another account for my wife, she is also added...
  9. Child account to Adult?

Child account to Adult?: Hi, I am trying to attach my Xbox account to my Epic Games account for my Rocket League rewards, but it won't let me. After contacting Rocket League's support team, they told me the error code I am receiving is related to my account being a child account. My birthday is...
  10. Removing Child Microsoft Account from Adult Parent Account and make Child Account an Adult...

Removing Child Microsoft Account from Adult Parent Account and make Child Account an Adult...: Hi, Several years ago when making an Xbox account for the first time, I had to have my dad create a parent Microsoft account to help manage my profile. The years have passed and I am now a 21 year old adult. However, my Microsoft account and therefore Xbox account does...