Windows 10: remove Onedrive files

Discus and support remove Onedrive files in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I've reset my laptop to be ready to give it away, but I had to log in to my MS account to complete the Windows install. Now my files on Onedrive are... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by TomF37380, May 16, 2021.

1. TomF37380 Win User

remove Onedrive files

I've reset my laptop to be ready to give it away, but I had to log in to my MS account to complete the Windows install. Now my files on Onedrive are available on the laptop, even though I changed to a local sign-in. How do I get my Onedrive files off the laptop? I don't want to delete the files from the cloud.

:)

TomF37380, May 16, 2021

2. Why were SMART Files Removed from OneDrive in Windows 10?

Technical Level : Basic

Summary

This article details why SMART files, also known as placeholder files, were removed from OneDrive in Windows 10.

Details

OneDrive has gone through many changes in Windows 10, most notably the removal of SMART files (placeholder files) from OneDrive. They still exist in Windows 8.1, however they were removed, hopefully temporarily, from OneDrive in Windows 10 because of the
    fragmented sync engines between OneDrive on Windows 7/Mac, OneDrive on Windows 8.1, and OneDrive for Business. The following article details what changes the OneDrive team made and why they made them:

Taking the Next Step in
    OneDrive

From a development point of view, it's a much better approach to consolidate their codebase, but from a user point of view, it's very frustrating.

Like many of us, if you want that feature back, please vote for it here on the OneDrive UserVoice page:

OneDrive UserVoice: "Sync online only" for Ondrive

Getting Started with OneDrive and Choosing Folders

To get started with OneDrive in Windows 10, please review these pages to familiarize yourself with the tools new processes:

Since you cannot choose which files are Available Online-only and Available Offline, you can choose the folders you want to sync. Review these two pages:

stanimal21, May 17, 2021
  3. Windows 10 - OneDrive

Right click on the app and one of the properties has an option to not automatically start it. Uncheck, restart the computer, and it should stop. If you want to go another step further, find the OneDrive app in the start menu, right click on it and uninstall.

If that is still insufficient, there is a batch uninstaller for OneDrive available online. I can copy the code here if you need it.

FordGT90Concept, May 17, 2021
  4. stickie Win User

remove Onedrive files

Remove OneDrive

Hi .... wish to remove OneDrive from fresh install W10.....
    have uninstalled it from inside Control Panel but am unnerved to find a OneDrive folder lurking in my username folder, which contains some 10GB predominantly a clone of my Desktop ... please, please could someone provide the steps necessary to completely remove it ..... thanks in advance ..... Alan D Kerr

File sharing and storage made simple

stickie, May 17, 2021
Thema:

remove Onedrive files

1. remove Onedrive files - Similar Threads - remove Onedrive files

2. Old/Removed Files reappearing into OneDrive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Old/Removed Files reappearing into OneDrive: About a month ago old jpgs and pdfs, that I transferred to a different folder, have reappeared into my folders in one drive. To give more info. I save images and pdf's and transfer them to the photo teams folders at work. I came to work and saw that thousands of old photos...
  3. Old/Removed Files reappearing into OneDrive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Old/Removed Files reappearing into OneDrive: About a month ago old jpgs and pdfs, that I transferred to a different folder, have reappeared into my folders in one drive. To give more info. I save images and pdf's and transfer them to the photo teams folders at work. I came to work and saw that thousands of old photos...
  4. Old/Removed Files reappearing into OneDrive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Removing OneDrive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Removing OneDrive: I wish to remove the annoying, and totally unwanted Microsoft Onedrive. It’s on my PC but does not appear listed in “Apps & Features” so therefore unable to delete it https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/removing-onedrive/70b0893f-947a-42e6-8791-3e31c867ed2c
  6. OneDrive removing my desktop files

OneDrive removing my desktop files: Hello, somehow most of my pc's desktop is synced to OneDrive and the icons have a green check mark. I just got a new laptop and when I set it up I noticed that those same icons from my pc is now showing on my laptop. I tried to un-sync the desktop folder but then it just...
  7. Remove files from OneDrive?

Remove files from OneDrive?: Latest update to W10. I mistakenly put some files into OneDrive that I don't want in a cloud. When I tried to remove them, I got a notice that I'd also be removing them from my hard drive. Could have been that the files weren't fully loaded to the cloud at that time. Anyway,...
  8. Removing files from OneDrive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Removing files from OneDrive: How do I remove files from OneDrive without removing them from my computer? I don't have to have everything on my computer backed up to One Drive. How do I stop that from happening?...
  9. Remove OneDrive from File Explorer

in Windows 10 Customization
    Remove OneDrive from File Explorer: I had to reinstall Windows 10 recently. While I was copying my files to C:\users\[MyName] I discovered that Microsoft pushed the OneDrive service and linked automatically, messing everything with the 5GB limit. I unlinked OneDrive and later uninstalled from Windows. The...
  10. Removing OneDrive

Removing OneDrive: I have just bought a DELL 27 7777 AIO computer. It has a small SSD and a 2TB HDD. It also has OneDrive pre-installed which I do not want. I have Uninstalled it and removed reference to it from those parts of windows 10 that I could easily access. However OneDrive it still...