Windows 10: Remove OS from OLD Hard Disk Drive

Discus and support Remove OS from OLD Hard Disk Drive in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello, I installed an SSD on my Laptop. I did a fresh install of Windows 10 on the SSD and formatted the old HDD, but somehow when I boot up my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Ace S, Jan 17, 2021.

1. Ace S Win User

Remove OS from OLD Hard Disk Drive

Hello,

I installed an SSD on my Laptop. I did a fresh install of Windows 10 on the SSD and formatted the old HDD, but somehow when I boot up my laptop it still goes to the Windows Boot Manager asking which operating system to use. I probably made a mistake because the HDD still has Partitions for Recovery, and EFI System.

Remove OS from OLD Hard Disk Drive e61b38a7-76cd-447a-89c6-a0443d87f8ff?upload=true.png

Here's what I've done to get to this point:

1. Install SSD

2. Install Windows on SSD using USB

3. Format the Windows partition on the HDD Backups D:\

:)

Ace S, Jan 17, 2021
  2. Riel Alc Win User

Remove spare hard disk as system disk

Thank you for your reply.

There's a possibility that your HDD was detected as OS drive during the Windows installation. To remove your HDD as system disk, we suggest reformatting it. To do so, please follow the steps below:

• Open Disk Management.
    • Right-click on your HDD, then select Format.
    • On the Format windows, type your preferred Volume label,
      File system (NTFS is recommended)
      , Allocation unit size (leave as Default).
    • Check the Perform a quick format option, then click
      OK

Note: Please back up your files before reformatting the drive.

Feel free to post back should you need further help.

Riel Alc, Jan 17, 2021
  3. little cat, Jan 17, 2021
  4. Remove OS from OLD Hard Disk Drive

How to Partiton a Hard Drive in Vista

This is a way to get Vista to see another hard drive that is not associated with the OS. There is some times when your new hdd doesn't seem to want to work well with Vista. But, there is a solution in it.

Open the Computer Management By doing these steps.
    • Click on the Start Button
    • Click on Control Panel
    • Click Administrative Tools
    • Double click on Computer Management
    You are now in the Navigation panel of the Computer Management.
    When in Computer Management, you then have to allow the new drive to be recognized.
    • Double click on Storage
    • Double click on Disk Management
    Now in the middle of your screen there is the layout of the Disk Drives that you have. The drives that are partitioned will show by the drive lettering. The others will just show up as having nothing at all in them. Below that there will be the Disk drives that are installed into the computer. You'll see that the primary one will all ways read as "Disk 0". Then you will have Disk 1 and so on. Under the Disks there will also see your CD-Rom drives.. If there is more then one, it will be labeled the same as Disk drives..

On to the Partitioning of the drive in question.
    • Right Click on the drive
    • Click to format the drive or Enable Volume. There will be a series of windows that open up. This is Vista's formatting. Just go threw the windows, and make sure everything is the way you want it to happen.
    • Once the formatting is done, will take some time depending on the drive size.
    • Right click on the drive
    • Click on Mark the Partition as Active
    After you have done those steps, The drive will be up and running threw Vista.

:Side Notes:
    If you are not the Administer to the Os, then you will have to enable it..
    You may also want to redo the drive lettering of it all. But, I really don't see a reason to do so. If you do, you have to redo drive paths and so forth.. A lot of work on something so small...

Cold Storm, Jan 17, 2021
Thema:

Remove OS from OLD Hard Disk Drive

1. Remove OS from OLD Hard Disk Drive - Similar Threads - Remove OLD Hard

2. REMOVE OLD WINDOW FROM THE DISK

in Windows 10 Gaming
    REMOVE OLD WINDOW FROM THE DISK: hI, I have m.2 nvme ssd. on this drive there is old window 10. i can see this dirive on my window list as drive D. How can i delet this window program from my drive. not: oprating window 10 is on my c: drive. ?....
  3. REMOVE OLD WINDOW FROM THE DISK

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    REMOVE OLD WINDOW FROM THE DISK: hI, I have m.2 nvme ssd. on this drive there is old window 10. i can see this dirive on my window list as drive D. How can i delet this window program from my drive. not: oprating window 10 is on my c: drive. ?....
  4. Hard Drive/Disk File Removal

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hard Drive/Disk File Removal: Hello there. Writing because I purchased an external hard drive to get back into some old hard drive files. It works on two but on my last removal from a Toshiba- There is no info coming up. No x gb out of xgb available. When the drive is listed under my computer.What is this...
  5. Hard Drive/Disk File Removal

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Hard Drive/Disk File Removal: Hello there. Writing because I purchased an external hard drive to get back into some old hard drive files. It works on two but on my last removal from a Toshiba- There is no info coming up. No x gb out of xgb available. When the drive is listed under my computer.What is this...
  6. usb recovery disk removed windows 10 OS from hard drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    usb recovery disk removed windows 10 OS from hard drive: I booted from my USB recovery disk and chose the option to do a clean install. After it completed, I removed the USB recovery disk and restarted the PC, but now it only says "An operating system wasn't found." White letters on black screen. I tried a second time, but now...
  7. Removing Windows from an old hard drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Removing Windows from an old hard drive: How do I remove Windows from an old hard drive without reformatting it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/removing-windows-from-an-old-hard-drive/c902e4cf-8e2f-4b69-81b9-c8d6954a1a4f"
  8. Remove hard drive with old OS (win7)

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Remove hard drive with old OS (win7): Hi I tried to remove the SSD drive E: with the old OS (win7) so I can use it with my old motherboard/CPU as a backup PC. But the PC doesn't boot up. I go to BIOS and choose the drive C: with the new OS (win10) but it doesn't boot up. When I connect back the E: boots up...
  9. Will reformatting hard drive remove Linux OS ?

Will reformatting hard drive remove Linux OS ?: I have installed Linux Cinnamon 18.1 on another pc to try and i cannot remove it to re-install Windows 10 back on...i have tried altering BIOS Boot order by putting USB bootable Windows 10 flash drive but there is no option there for USB.. i tried creating a bootable 4.7 Gb...
  10. Remove Old OS

Remove Old OS: I was running 7 and wanting a fresh install for 10. I created a new partition and installed 10. Now after a bit I'd like to format the old partition where win 7 is running but I'm afraid the boot manager still resides on there. I've gone into system configuration and into the...