Windows 10: Remove pre-installed Win boot partition without formatting whole HDD?

Discus and support Remove pre-installed Win boot partition without formatting whole HDD? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I bought a new PC which only come with a 2TB HDD with Windows preinstalled. (also has a Windows recovery partition) I decided to put in a 128gb SSD... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by larrens, Mar 19, 2018.

1. larrens Win User

Remove pre-installed Win boot partition without formatting whole HDD?

I bought a new PC which only come with a 2TB HDD with Windows preinstalled. (also has a Windows recovery partition)

I decided to put in a 128gb SSD and installed Windows 10 on it.
    I kept the 2TB HDD for storage or my documents and photos.

I made a 1TB partition, keeping the pre-installed Windows on 1 partition temporarily and my documents on the other partition (Reason I kept the Windows boot was just in case something went wrong when I installed the SSD).

Now that this was done and the SSD boot is fine, I want to get rid of the 1TB partition with the preinstalled Windows boot and incorporate this with the other partition into a total 2TB. (My question does not relate to the ‘recovery partition’ – I am happy to keep that).

I can’t format the whole drive as I will lose my other data files.
    If I remove the partition where the pre-installed Windows boot is, how do I then allocate this space back into my other partition, effectively resulting in no partition?I bought a new PC which only come with a 2TB HDD with Windows preinstalled. (also has a Windows recovery partition)

I decided to put in a 128gb SSD and installed Windows 10 on it.
    I kept the 2TB HDD for storage or my documents and photos. I made a 1TB partition, keeping the pre-installed Windows on 1 partition temporarily and my documents on the other partition (Reason I kept the Windows boot was just in case something went wrong when I installed the SSD).

Now that this was done and the SSD boot is fine, I want to get rid of the 1TB partition with the preinstalled Windows boot and incorporate this with the other partition into a total 2TB. (My question does not relate to the ‘recovery partition’ – I am happy to keep that).

I can’t format the whole drive as I will lose my other data files.

If I remove the partition where the pre-installed Windows boot is, how do I then allocate this space back into my other partition, effectively resulting in no partition?

:)

larrens, Mar 19, 2018
  2. rcglider Win User

Installing Windows 10 on multi-boot system.

So the USB flash drive install would be better than cd-rom boot? I'll have to check if I can boot from USB drive on my system.

I've already got a formatted but otherwise empty partition to install Win 10 into. I tried starting it from Win 7, but it was taking forever and doing all sorts of file copy stuff, so I aborted it and did an image restore of C: (boot partition) and N: (my
    Win 7 Pro) partition.

My goal is to clean install Win 10 (not update), on a fresh partition, T:, and without it changed the partition letter from T: to C: and removing C: from the boot drive.

rcglider, Mar 19, 2018
  3. rcglider Win User
    Installing Windows 10 on multi-boot system.

It was expensive, but I'm finally able to install Win 10 onto a partition without it changing the partition letter to C:. I bought a second retail version of Win 7 Pro in order to do this.

First I did a system image backup of Win 7 so I could restore my system back it's pre-Win 10 state.

I booted into Win XP X64 and then ran Win 7 setup.exe from Win XP X64 for the second copy of Win 7 Pro that I purchased. This let me specify the partition by letter, and Win 7 did not change the drive letter (I mentioned this previously). After installing
    Win 7 on the new partition and activating it, I then ran Win 10 setup from the newly installed Win 7 which did an update install and it did not change the partition letter.

With the now slower multi-boot sequence and all of the snooping by Win 10, I haven't decided if I will switch to Win 10 yet, so I did a system image backup of Win 10 then restored the Win 7 system image backup to restore my system to it's pre-Win 10 state.

What would have been nice would be the ability to do a "clean" install of Win 10 starting from Win 7 so I can specify the partition by letter, similar to the Win XP X64 / Win 7 clean install to a partition by letter.

rcglider, Mar 19, 2018
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

NavyLCDR, Mar 19, 2018
  5. larrens Win User
    Thanks for the reply. I will try that.

Wont the inbuilt Windows Disk Management achieve a similar outcome?

larrens, Mar 19, 2018
  6. AddRAM Win User
    AddRAM, Mar 19, 2018
  7. larrens Win User
    great - thanks for the advice

larrens, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Remove pre-installed Win boot partition without formatting whole HDD? - Similar Threads - Remove pre installed

2. Formatting/partitioning an external HDD

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Formatting/partitioning an external HDD: HiI have a USB 3TByte HDD that is somewhat older. DIsk Management 'Datenträgerverwaltung displays it as two different drives #7 and 8. I wonder how to merge these into one single drive. I tried everthing using Disk Management, but I get an error message, see screenshots....
  3. Formatting/partitioning an external HDD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Formatting/partitioning an external HDD: HiI have a USB 3TByte HDD that is somewhat older. DIsk Management 'Datenträgerverwaltung displays it as two different drives #7 and 8. I wonder how to merge these into one single drive. I tried everthing using Disk Management, but I get an error message, see screenshots....
  4. Formatting/partitioning an external HDD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Formatting multi partition HDD

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Formatting multi partition HDD: Hey I have just removed an 2.5" 500gb hdd from my old broken xbox one. I want to use it as spare portable hdd, for which I have a 3.0 USB HDD case. I would like to format the HDD with windows disk managment or any other HDD mangament tools (like AOMEI Partition Manager) but...
  6. Does the reset option of "Remove Everything" formats the whole drive or only the C:/ Partition?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Does the reset option of "Remove Everything" formats the whole drive or only the C:/ Partition?: I want to reset and format my windows 10 PC, and using the reset function seems to be the easiest option (so i don't need a bootable drive and all that BIOS spiel). Thing is, i want to save a single folder with the more important stuff. My idea was to make a partition that's...
  7. Removing another person's account from laptop without formatting the whole pc

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Removing another person's account from laptop without formatting the whole pc: My ex bought me a laptop when we were still together, signed it up with all of his information for purchases ect. When we broke up he changed the password to his microsoft account for obvious reasons but not before i could change the pc to my own. Can i do this without...
  8. Can i install windows on a compartiment without formatting the whole disk?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Can i install windows on a compartiment without formatting the whole disk?: I have a 2TB drive and two compartiments, each having 1TB of space. I have all of my needed files on compartiment number 2, and my current system installed on compartiment 1. Can i reinstall Windows 10 on compartiment 1 and formatting it, with keeping all of my needed files...
  9. Is it possible to bring back a Win 10 bootable HDD without formatting?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Is it possible to bring back a Win 10 bootable HDD without formatting?: Hello! I had to change laptops and swapped their hard drives and because of this, I had to install win 10 again using a bootable usb drive. Unfortunately, I didn't have any usb drive with a decent size and I had to use my external hard drive (where I had some tv shows...
  10. Format HDD -- Win 10 Installed

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Format HDD -- Win 10 Installed: I just went from Win 7 Pro to Win 10 --- very cool. My hard drive is clogged with a lot of old stuff; I want to reformat the drive. Question: how do I get a recovery / boot format for my new Win 10 installation? Thank you for the suggestions 43847

Users found this page by searching for:

1. remove boot from hdd without formatting it