Windows 10: Remove prior ubuntu install

Discus and support Remove prior ubuntu install in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Question for the gurus out there. I recently "upgraded" to the latest MS version of ubuntu 18.04 from the app store. I tried to do an upgrade from... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by WesStrueb, Apr 11, 2020.

1. WesStrueb Win User

Remove prior ubuntu install

Question for the gurus out there. I recently "upgraded" to the latest MS version of ubuntu 18.04 from the app store. I tried to do an upgrade from 14.04, and it failed miserably.

Now, however, I have two versions and apparently, the 14.04 version is the "default, though I have an ion in the taskbar to open 18.04. I want to remove 14.04, but when I opne Powershell with elevated admin authority, I get the following:

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> rm -Recurse $env:localappdata/lxss/

rm : Cannot remove item C:\Users\strue\AppData\Local\lxss\: You do not have sufficient access rights to perform this operation.

At line:1 char:1

+ rm -Recurse $env:localappdata/lxss/

+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

+ CategoryInfo : PermissionDenied: C:\Users\strue\AppData\Local\lxss\Remove prior ubuntu install :DirectoryInfo [Remove-Item], IOException

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : RemoveFileSystemItemUnAuthorizedAccess,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.RemoveItemCommand

What further access do I need if admin isn't high enough?! to accomplish the task?

Thank you! I suppose, barring that, how can i remove ALL versions of the subsystem, prior to starting over?

:)

WesStrueb, Apr 11, 2020
  2. xfire Win User
    xfire, Apr 11, 2020
  3. zithe Win User
    Linux Noob - Ubuntu fails on install GRUB error 2

Did you burn the image on the slowest setting possible? Pop your disc in and try checking the disc for errors (booting from the disc). If it has an error on it then you have a bad install.

I just googled your motherboard and ubuntu... This thread is on the list. XD

If it's a bad install I'd suggest a different version of Ubuntu or to try Fedora instead. I had nothing but trouble with 8.04.

Also, try your connections. Sounds stupid but maybe the CD sent it and the hard drive couldn't get it or some weird thing like that. (Talking out my rear end now, but it's worth a shot)

Sorry I couldn't help more. *Frown Remove prior ubuntu install :(

zithe, Apr 11, 2020
  4. Zedicus Win User

Ubuntu installation problem?

actually i offered help, then suggested debian.

as suggested try using it off of a USB drive or try using a different optical drive.

and yes, full system config info please.

Zedicus, Apr 11, 2020
Thema:

1. Remove prior ubuntu install - Similar Threads - Remove prior ubuntu

2. Remove Ubuntu and install Windows 10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Remove Ubuntu and install Windows 10: I have a Dell laptop that came with Windows 10, I have completely removed Windows 10 and installed Ubuntu. Now I would like to install Windows 10 back. I have created a bootable USB with Windows 10.However during the Windows installation setup, I cannot select a partition to...
  3. Help for removing ubuntu

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Help for removing ubuntu: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/RkADER04 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/k58zbh/help_for_removing_ubuntu/
  4. Removed Ubuntu

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Removed Ubuntu: I recently removed ubuntu 20.04 lts from my ASUS by just cleaning it out by using disk management and merged the leftover space with my E:\ drive but my bootloader still shows ubuntu and when I clicked on it showed me "grub>" why?...
  5. removing ubuntu and re-installing windows 10

removing ubuntu and re-installing windows 10: I tried to get ubuntu to work on this hp laptop but the wifi adapter is not compatible and I can't get it to work, so I'm trading laptops with my dad so I can have a proper ubuntu installation and have to re-install windows 10, but I'm having a lot of trouble. so far... I...
  6. Removing Ubuntu and Installing Windows 10

Removing Ubuntu and Installing Windows 10: I used to have Windows 10 on my laptop (HP) and it got screwy so I wiped the hard drive and installed Ubuntu 18.04. Ubuntu is super cool and all, but there are many programs I can't use with it (mostly music related), so I got a live USB with Windows 10 on it, but I can't...
  7. Changing registry prior to install?

Changing registry prior to install?: Hi, I'm expecting to do quite a few installs soon, I want all the same registry edits for every install, to save time, is there a way to edit the install media just once instead of doing this manually for every install? I know I could just make a large.reg file, but this...
  8. Need help removing Ubuntu

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Need help removing Ubuntu: Hi, My laptop was setup to dual boot with Ubuntu, I finally got another computer to run Ubuntu so I'd like to remove it from my laptop and use the space it's taking up. Anyone know how? 110600
  9. Remove Ubuntu dual-boot

Remove Ubuntu dual-boot: I currently have a Surface Pro 1 with Windows 10 that also has Ubuntu installed on it as well. I would like to remove Ubuntu and restore the default Windows boot manager. Right now, it's currently doing a Windows 10 reset (Remove all files from all drives and clean them),...
  10. Remove dual boot - Ubuntu

Remove dual boot - Ubuntu: Hi, I am running Widows 10 on a UEFI/EFI/GPT system. I'd like to try and install a Linux OS on another partition. Installing is not a problem my question relates to if I decide to remove Ubuntu, how will I repair my Window's bootloader? I've been doing a lot of reading on...