Windows 10: Remove shortcut arrow icons (corrupts to black square)

Discus and support Remove shortcut arrow icons (corrupts to black square) in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hiya everyone, I have a problem. I've been trying to get rid of the shortcut arrow icons for over 2 weeks now and no matter what I do they keep... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Notme, Aug 6, 2020.

1. Notme Win User

Remove shortcut arrow icons (corrupts to black square)

Hiya everyone, I have a problem. I've been trying to get rid of the shortcut arrow icons for over 2 weeks now and no matter what I do they keep corrupting to a black square. Sometimes it works, and the icon is just gone, but it's 50/50 (actually 75/25) whether the black squares come back after a reboot. Refreshing the icon cache does nothing. Things I've tried so far:

- Added a key to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Icons
    Name 29, Value %windir%\System32\shell32.dll,-50
    - Removed the value from key 29
    - Created a blank .ico in a random folder outside the user or windows directories and had the value point to that, this was just a fully blank 32x32 image created in gimp
    - Resized the blank .ico to 24x24
    - Moved the .ico to the windows system32 folder and had the value point to that
    - Modified the value to use %windir% instead of the full path

I *really* don't want to use any 3rd party software for this - given that they'll use the same methods I use it will just keep corrupting anyway no? Anyone have any advice?

Thanks for reading

:)

Notme, Aug 6, 2020
  2. sammy Win User

How to remove arrows from desktop icons in Windows 10 without getting black squares?

How do I remove arrows from desktop icons in Windows 10 without getting black squares in their place?

I will answer my own question and explain below in two parts. Part 1 will explain how to remove them. It will work, but using only Part 1, when you reboot or log back in, some icon data will be corrupted and there will be black squares where the arrows usually go. Part 2 explains how to permanently remove the black squares and just have nice icons, without arrows or black squares, every time you reboot or login.

sammy, Aug 6, 2020
  3. sammy Win User
    How to remove arrows from desktop icons in Windows 10 without getting black squares?

Part 1 - Remove arrows once (will break on reboot or re-login)

• Type regedit in the Windows search bar and select regedit at the top of the list.
    • In the regedit program, navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer
    • Right click on the Explorer folder, hover over New, then click Key. Name it Shell Icons and click enter or whatever to create it.
    • Click the new Shell Icons folder. In the right pane, right click on the empty space, hover over New, and click String Value. Name it 29.
    • Double click the String Value 29 you just created and give it the following value data: %windir%\System32\shell32.dll,-50
    • May or may not have to reboot I forget. Check your desktop icons first to see.

Part 2 - Fix the black squares problem

When you reboot or login after Part 1, where the arrows once were there will now be black squares. To permanently fix the black squares problem, a short script will run automatically every time you login to fix the icons before you see them. Non-programmers can easily follow these simple steps.

• Open Notepad.
    • Paste in the following and save it to the desktop as fixdesktopicons.bat (name not important, file extension .bat is important). Basically it deletes the corrupted part of the icon data.

• Press Windows key + r
    • Type shell:startup and press OK. This will open a folder where you can put scripts that you want to have run automatically whenever you login.
    • Copy the script (.bat file) from your desktop and paste it into this folder you reached by doing shell:startup.
    • Reboot the computer for changes to take effect.

Now whenever you login or reboot there will be nice icons with no arrows and no black squares either.

sammy, Aug 6, 2020
  4. Remove shortcut arrow icons (corrupts to black square)

Black Squares On My Icons

Hello Everyone!

I followed a tutorial to the letter in how to remove shortcut icon arrows.

After restarting my PC I noted the icon shortcut arrows GONE!.

I SHUT DOWN my PC for the day and the following day when I turned on my PC I had BLACK SQUARES on my icons.

Don't know what to do. Can someone please help?

Thank you,

Carlos.

Carlos F Diaz, Aug 6, 2020
Thema:

Remove shortcut arrow icons (corrupts to black square)

1. Remove shortcut arrow icons (corrupts to black square) - Similar Threads - Remove shortcut arrow

2. Black square shortcut Icons

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Black square shortcut Icons: Just started my pc up and most of my shortcut icons are completely covered with a black square. the icons that have a green tick on the bottom left aren't. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/black-square-shortcut-icons/362dd587-3a8f-47ca-805f-1703983ad6ff
  3. Black square shortcut Icons

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Black square shortcut Icons: Just started my pc up and most of my shortcut icons are completely covered with a black square. the icons that have a green tick on the bottom left aren't. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/black-square-shortcut-icons/362dd587-3a8f-47ca-805f-1703983ad6ff
  4. Black square shortcut Icons

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Black icons in dekstop. I was trying to remove the bottom shortcut arrow from the icons and...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Black icons in dekstop. I was trying to remove the bottom shortcut arrow from the icons and...: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/Prakhargiri [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/ughzei/black_icons_in_dekstop_i_was_trying_to_remove_the/
  6. Desktop icons are black squares

Desktop icons are black squares: For a couple weeks now, I have been stuck with these annoying icon thumbnails, and I have run out of ideas to fix the problem. Essentially, when I turn on my computer, all icons on my desktop and only my desktop that are not native to windows appear as these black squares. In...
  7. Remove shortcut arrow icon ONLY ON DESKTOP?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Remove shortcut arrow icon ONLY ON DESKTOP?: Is there a way to remove the shortcut arrow icon from shortcuts, but only on the desktop? So I could still see them in explorer which is useful, but it would make the desktop look a lot cleaner. submitted by /u/KingofHeck [link] [comments]...
  8. shortcut dbl-arrow icon removal

shortcut dbl-arrow icon removal: recently a large blue dbl-arrow icon is in front of my fie names. How can I remove this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/shortcut-dbl-arrow-icon-removal/8049002f-fb9c-411b-83d6-bde2468d087e
  9. black squares over desktop shortcuts and icons (screenshot included)

black squares over desktop shortcuts and icons (screenshot included): I tried the solutions in this link but the problem still exists. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-desktop/my-desktop-icons-have-a-black-box-over-the-place/a2980ef5-e0fe-45d1-9cfc-d10b70e4c9d5 [IMG]...
  10. Remove shortcut arrows

Remove shortcut arrows: How do we remove those desktop shortcut arrows? Is there a quick way w/o digging into the registry? I don't see it in the latest UWT. Thanks *Wink 113829

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows shortcut icon black boxes