Windows 10: Remove the $windows.~BT and windows.old directories

Discus and support Remove the $windows.~BT and windows.old directories in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hi It is possible to remove the $windows.~BT and windows.old directories using the installation DVD of Windows 10 or using its advanced startup... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by balubeto, Feb 18, 2017.

1. balubeto Win User

Remove the $windows.~BT and windows.old directories

Hi

It is possible to remove the $windows.~BT and windows.old directories using the installation DVD of Windows 10 or using its advanced startup options via them Command Prompt? If so, how I do this?

Thanks

Bye

:)

balubeto, Feb 18, 2017
  2. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hello balubeto, *Smile

You could use an option in the tutorial below to delete the Windows.old and $Windows.~BT folders. Option 4 is the best one if available for you.

Windows.old Folder - Delete in Windows 10

Brink, Feb 18, 2017
  3. balubeto Win User
    You wanted to write: Option three. True?

Thanks

Bye

balubeto, Feb 18, 2017
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Option 3 for what you requested at boot, but Option 4 is the best to use if available.

Brink, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Remove the $windows.~BT and windows.old directories - Similar Threads - Remove $windows ~BT

2. I failed to remove directory in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    I failed to remove directory in Windows 10: I cannot delete a directory. Usual permission edits didn’t allow me to remove the content and the directory. I assigned the rights of the administrator to myself – also no effect. I see the Defender shield near the feature Delete and Rename so I think the Defender might be...
  3. Can I remove the old "_restore" directories in Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Can I remove the old "_restore" directories in Windows 10?: While trying to clean up my W10 boot drive before cloning to an SSD, I found what I believe is old junk in the System Volume Information folder. Is it okay to get rid of that old "_restore" folder and files (11GB)? 117855
  4. Windows updates removing Active Directory

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows updates removing Active Directory: Hi, I'm working with our domain - and every time that there is an update from windows 10 it's remove the dsa.msc command ( Active Directory Users and Computers ) so i need to reinstall it. I think it's connected to the "build" upgrades but i just want you to fix it so it...
  5. $windows.~bt

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    $windows.~bt: I assume that Windows created this which appears to contain a version of Windows 10. Why has it been left after the upgrade? Can it be safely removed? 32693
  6. Removing old D:\Windows

Removing old D:\Windows: It seems my old windows 7 directory (D:\Windows) is extremely difficult to remove. I already took ownership of all files (via Win10), but Microsoft, as usual, very aggressively hinders you in doing what you want to do. How do I delete these files?! Even just opening an...
  7. Delete the C:\$Windows.~BT and C:\Windows.old directory

Delete the C:\$Windows.~BT and C:\Windows.old directory: Hi In Windows 10, how do I delete the C:\$Windows.~BT and C:\Windows.old directory? Thanks Bye 22003
  8. $windows.~bt

$windows.~bt: With an upgrade from Win 7 to 10, a folder with the Thread title appeared at the top of my C drive folder. In that folder were the following sub folders: Boot, EFI, New OS, Sources, Store & Work. The two I am really interested in are the Boot and EFI folders. Just wondering...
  9. C:\$windows.~BT

C:\$windows.~BT: On one of my windows 7 pro machines I have found this folder (C:\$windows.~BT) which is 4.3gb in size and has a setup.exe file (look like windows install disk). It has downloaded onto this PC with out me doing anything, dated 2nd August 2015. I have already upgraded 2...
  10. Window old directory in C drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Window old directory in C drive: Hi All, After upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10 using the free upgrade program from MS, the old windows 7 installation has been moved a folder call Windows.old. I am not sure if this is for reverting back to Windows 7 in case Windows 10 installation fails or for some...