Windows 10: Remove Unwanted Languages

Discus and support Remove Unwanted Languages in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Good day, I have a HP notebook that I upgraded to windows 10, version 1803 home edition. I am trying to figure out why I am getting multiple languages... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by kaltland, Oct 20, 2018.

1. kaltland Win User

Remove Unwanted Languages

Good day,
    I have a HP notebook that I upgraded to windows 10, version 1803 home edition. I am trying to figure out why I am getting multiple languages downloaded when I think I have all the settings set to US (English). I have attached a .doc file that list the files that are appearing for just ar-SA language, so take all those files times appx 25 more languages showing in both file explorer and registry, it amounts to a lot of wasted space. I tried to remove them but it is impossible. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

:)

kaltland, Oct 20, 2018
  2. Andre Da Costa Win User

Removing Language

If you add a secondary language to Windows 10 version 1803 that shares the same base language as the Windows display language, neither language can be removed.

For example: If English (United Kingdom) is the current Windows display language, and you then add English (India) to the Preferred languages list, afterwards neither English (United Kingdom) nor English (India) can be removed from the Preferred languages list.

Note: The most notable effect of having multiple related languages in the Preferred languages list is additional entries in the text input selector. You can remove unwanted language list entries using these steps:

1. From the Start menu, search for powershell.

2. Right-click Windows Powershell in the search results and choose Run as administrator.

3. Type or copy/paste the following command at the command prompt, and then press Enter.

Get-WinUserLanguageList

After typing this command, make note of the “LanguageTag” listed for the language you wish to remove, as you will need it in the next step.

4. Type or copy/paste each of the following commands at the command prompt, and then press Enter. In the following commands, instead of typing <languagecode>, replace it with the language tag you wish to remove, such as en-in for English (India).

$LangList = Get-WinUserLanguageList

$MarkedLang = $LangList | where LanguageTag -eq "<languagecode>"

$LangList.Remove($MarkedLang)

Set-WinUserLanguageList $LangList -Force

Andre Da Costa, Oct 20, 2018
  3. Andre Da Costa Win User
    Can't remove a language

If you add a secondary language to Windows 10 version 1803 that shares the same base language as the Windows display language, neither language can be removed.

For example: If English (United Kingdom) is the current Windows display language, and you then add English (India) to the Preferred languages list, afterwards neither English (United Kingdom) nor English (India) can be removed from the Preferred languages list.

Note: The most notable effect of having multiple related languages in the Preferred languages list is additional entries in the text input selector. You can remove unwanted language list entries using these steps:

1. From the Start menu, search for powershell.

2. Right-click Windows Powershell in the search results and choose Run as administrator.

3. Type or copy/paste the following command at the command prompt, and then press Enter.

Get-WinUserLanguageList

After typing this command, make note of the “LanguageTag” listed for the language you wish to remove, as you will need it in the next step.

4. Type or copy/paste each of the following commands at the command prompt, and then press Enter. In the following commands, instead of typing <languagecode>, replace it with the language tag you wish to remove, such as en-in for English (India).

$LangList = Get-WinUserLanguageList

$MarkedLang = $LangList | where LanguageTag -eq "<languagecode>"

$LangList.Remove($MarkedLang)

Set-WinUserLanguageList $LangList -Force

Andre Da Costa, Oct 20, 2018
  4. Deepika Gowda Win User

Cant remove unwanted language

Hi,

As you are facing issues with accessing the keyboard layout with different language and trying to uninstall the languages we will help you with this issue.

Try the below troubleshooting steps to change/ add the input method to your keyboard and check if it helps.

• Press Windows + X, click on
      Control Panel
      , select Category and then select
      Large icon
    • Click on Language.
    • Click on Add language, Search for Thai language, select it and click on Add button.
    • Once the language is added, click on Options from the right pane under
      Thai.
    • Click on Download and install language pack.

This will help you to install the language pack and access it.

Also, if you wish to remove Hebrew language on your device, try the below.

• Press Windows + X, click on
      Control Panel, select Category and then select
      Large or Small icon
    • Click on Language
    • Select Hebrew
      language and click on Remove option.
    You may also refer to the below Microsoft article about installing language packs and check if it helps.

Refer: Language packs

Also, refer to Language Control Panel to change the system language.

Hope it helps. Reply to the post with an updated status of this issue to assist you better.

Thank you.

Deepika Gowda, Oct 20, 2018
Thema:

1. Remove Unwanted Languages - Similar Threads - Remove Unwanted Languages

2. extra unwanted language in my language bar same as windows 10 language ISO file came with

in Windows 10 Customization
    extra unwanted language in my language bar same as windows 10 language ISO file came with: Hi. With mistake I downloaded windows 10 English International from windows 10 Microsoft download page which is equivalent for English United Kingdom Keyboard Layout I should Have downloaded windows 10 English to use US keyboard layout Now I have added English US keyboard...
  3. Removing an item in Language menu

Removing an item in Language menu: In Windows 10 I want to remove the language menu "Chinese (Traditional, Taiwan) United States-International K...". Could anyone tells me how to do it? TIA [IMG]...
  4. unwanted software removal

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    unwanted software removal: Hi Team, I can see lot of versions of same software is installed in the system. Which one is correct and which one is needed I am not sure. I need some tool to remove the unwanted software ; as my system takes long time to load and kills my harddisk read. one more...
  5. How to get rid of unwanted languages

How to get rid of unwanted languages: For some reason the keyboard also has the american language installed even though i haven't installed it. <----- The one on the end but I only have English(UK) installed basically, how to get rid of this? Thanks...
  6. Tool to remove all unwanted tools and services.

Tool to remove all unwanted tools and services.: Hi people.. As we all know, the classical Windows XP has a tool.... XpLitePro ... to remove áll unwanted software and services you wish to have deleted. XpLite could both remove hidden programs/services which are not visible in configuration screen/ remove programs section...
  7. Unable to remove unwanted user profile

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Unable to remove unwanted user profile: My son has an old user profile he needs to delete, when he tries to do this he gets a message saying some user files may be left.....sorry it's a bit vague, but he tells me it will not let him delete it. is there an alternative method please thanks 88053
  8. Remove input method without removing language?

in Windows 10 Support
    Remove input method without removing language?: I have an Italian installation of Windows 10 Pro 1511, and I also have the Japanese IME and, thus, Japanese language installed in the control panel, BUT I needed to install English (UK) too, because all the Store apps that didn't support Italian used Japanese instead of...
  9. Remove Language in status bar

in Windows 10 Support
    Remove Language in status bar: In status bar is present language in use: ENG or ITA etc.. In windows 7 its possible remove this and in windows 10 ? Thank Hispa 11956
  10. How to remove unwanted attchment files

in Windows 10 Support
    How to remove unwanted attchment files: Maybe I'm missing something obvious, but can't seem to find a way to remove unwanted attachments uploaded for posts. Any thoughts? *Rolleyes 6532