Windows 10: Remove Windows.old off external HDD - Ownership issue?

Discus and support Remove Windows.old off external HDD - Ownership issue? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I've got a hdd out of a laptop with Windows installed on it that was replaced with an ssd. I now have it plugged into the laptop externally as a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Kol12, Sep 10, 2018.

1. Kol12 Win User

Remove Windows.old off external HDD - Ownership issue?

I've got a hdd out of a laptop with Windows installed on it that was replaced with an ssd. I now have it plugged into the laptop externally as a storage drive for backups with a USB adapter. I would like to delete the Windows, Windows.old and program files folders on the drive to increase space but there seems to be an ownership issue preventing me from wiping them. Why is Windows so fussy about wiping Windows folder on a non OS drive and how do I take ownership to wipe them?

:)

Kol12, Sep 10, 2018

2. external HDD

Hi,

Usually, this problem occur due to software incompatibility or corrupted USB drivers. For us to better assist you, we would like to clarify the following:

• Have you made any recent changes on your computer prior to the issue?
    • Which driver did you uninstall? Have you reinstall the driver? If yes, how did you reinstall the driver?
    • Have you check if the external HDD is visible in Device Manager?

If the issue still persists after uninstalling some games, we suggest that you run the troubleshooter for hardware and devices. If you're using the latest Windows 10 version, follow these steps on how to run the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter:

• Click the Start button and select the Settings
      icon.
    • Choose Update & Security from the list.
    • Click Troubleshoot in the left pane of the window.
    • Under Find and fix other problems, select Hardware and Devices and click
      Run the troubleshooter.

We're looking forward to your reply.

Gerard Qui, Sep 10, 2018
  3. CP_2 Win User
    Cannot take ownership of external HDD(permissions complications)

Yes, that is exactly the step I missed when I did it initially. Then when I tried to go back and do it again, that's when the other errors came up saying failed to enumerate objects and that the recycle bin was corrupt, then windows stopped being able to
    read the drive completely. Luckily, I was able to resolve this issue a bit ago. I'll reply to the thread with my actions in a bit.

4. dermy Win User

External HDDs

Hi i had a seagate freeagent (external) which stopped working so i bought another enclosure and the hdd kept disconnecting/reconnecting in windows 8.1, so i boht another enclosure and also the same thing. Iv tried a different hdd and all hdds work perfectly when plugged directly into sata ports on the board, are there any other steps i can try or do you think iv just been unlucky with enclosures?

dermy, Sep 10, 2018
Thema:

1. Remove Windows.old off external HDD - Ownership issue? - Similar Threads - Remove old off

2. Use old HDD from old laptop as an external drive?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Use old HDD from old laptop as an external drive?: Hey there, this is my first time writing/asking here, so any response would be appreciated :So I have an old laptop of mine, an Asus A42J with 4GB of ram and 150GB of HDD. My plan is upgrading the HDD to an SSD, but I don't really want to backup anything from my HDD because...
  3. Use old HDD from old laptop as an external drive?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Use old HDD from old laptop as an external drive?: Hey there, this is my first time writing/asking here, so any response would be appreciated :So I have an old laptop of mine, an Asus A42J with 4GB of ram and 150GB of HDD. My plan is upgrading the HDD to an SSD, but I don't really want to backup anything from my HDD because...
  4. Use old HDD from old laptop as an external drive?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Old laptop hdd ownership

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Old laptop hdd ownership: I removed the hdd from an old laptop and installed on an empty bay of my new laptop to transfer files . I had to change ownership to gain access to the old hdd and anfter transferring all my personal files pictures ,music,documents and videos I installed the old hdd in the...
  6. Old laptop hdd ownership

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Old laptop hdd ownership: I removed the hdd from an old laptop and installed on an empty bay of my new laptop to transfer files . I had to change ownership to gain access to the old hdd and anfter transferring all my personal files pictures ,music,documents and videos I installed the old hdd in the...
  7. Old laptop hdd ownership

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. External HDD issue

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External HDD issue: I have an external hard drive that is 2 TB in size connected via usb. I have tried to use it to make both Windows 10 installation Media or Windows 10 recovery media. In both cases the creation of the media fails. The hard drive as a result loses its formatting and partitions...
  9. Cannot safely remove external HDD

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Cannot safely remove external HDD: I am trying to remove my WD Passport, I am using Windows 10, but also fairly new to it. I am trying to eject it by using the option on the task bar, but get the error message: 'This device is currently in use. Close any programs or Windows that might be using the device and...
  10. External HDD Issues

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    External HDD Issues: I was given a 3TB hard drive that I am wanting to use for my son's PS4 as extra storage. In order to do so I need to format it to exFat. When I try to do that with my laptop it only shows 349GB as the size. I am trying to use Diskpart to determine if it is a "read-only"...