Windows 10: Remove Windows.old off external HDD - Ownership issue?

Discus and support Remove Windows.old off external HDD - Ownership issue? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I've got a hdd out of a laptop with Windows installed on it that was replaced with an ssd. I now have it plugged into the laptop externally as a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Kol12, Sep 10, 2018.

1. Kol12 Win User

Remove Windows.old off external HDD - Ownership issue?

I've got a hdd out of a laptop with Windows installed on it that was replaced with an ssd. I now have it plugged into the laptop externally as a storage drive for backups with a USB adapter. I would like to delete the Windows, Windows.old and program files folders on the drive to increase space but there seems to be an ownership issue preventing me from wiping them. Why is Windows so fussy about wiping Windows folder on a non OS drive and how do I take ownership to wipe them?

:)

Kol12, Sep 10, 2018
  2. Gerard Qui Win User

external HDD

Hi,

Usually, this problem occur due to software incompatibility or corrupted USB drivers. For us to better assist you, we would like to clarify the following:

• Have you made any recent changes on your computer prior to the issue?
    • Which driver did you uninstall? Have you reinstall the driver? If yes, how did you reinstall the driver?
    • Have you check if the external HDD is visible in Device Manager?

If the issue still persists after uninstalling some games, we suggest that you run the troubleshooter for hardware and devices. If you're using the latest Windows 10 version, follow these steps on how to run the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter:

• Click the Start button and select the Settings
      icon.
    • Choose Update & Security from the list.
    • Click Troubleshoot in the left pane of the window.
    • Under Find and fix other problems, select Hardware and Devices and click
      Run the troubleshooter.

We're looking forward to your reply.

Gerard Qui, Sep 10, 2018
  3. CP_2 Win User
    Cannot take ownership of external HDD(permissions complications)

Yes, that is exactly the step I missed when I did it initially. Then when I tried to go back and do it again, that's when the other errors came up saying failed to enumerate objects and that the recycle bin was corrupt, then windows stopped being able to
    read the drive completely. Luckily, I was able to resolve this issue a bit ago. I'll reply to the thread with my actions in a bit.

4. dermy Win User

External HDDs

Hi i had a seagate freeagent (external) which stopped working so i bought another enclosure and the hdd kept disconnecting/reconnecting in windows 8.1, so i boht another enclosure and also the same thing. Iv tried a different hdd and all hdds work perfectly when plugged directly into sata ports on the board, are there any other steps i can try or do you think iv just been unlucky with enclosures?

dermy, Sep 10, 2018
Thema:

1. Remove Windows.old off external HDD - Ownership issue? - Similar Threads - Remove old off

2. Delete Windows from old HDD

in Windows 10 Support
    Delete Windows from old HDD: Hi, I replaced my wife's HDD with and SSD and want to use her old drive to back data, the OS won't let me delete the Windows folder and I don't want to format the drive. Can I force Windows to delete the folder? 120194
  3. Windows 10 doesnt connect my old external HDD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows 10 doesnt connect my old external HDD: How to connect my old IOmega HDD. Win 10 doesn't even recognise it. Don't have the drive drivers available anywhere https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/windows-10-doesnt-connect-my-old-external-hdd/4a453e90-a2e7-4acc-bca2-a0f0002ba7a6
  4. USB 3.0 External HDD connectivity issue

USB 3.0 External HDD connectivity issue: Hey guys, I have an issue specific to my USB 3.0 ports, and its interaction with my external HDD(E-HDD). Whenever I plug in my USB 3.0 capable E-HDD, the computer recognises the drive for a few seconds and then disconnects. This keeps happening while the the E-HDD is still...
  5. External HDD not detected

External HDD not detected: As I got the new Lenovo ideapad Miix 310, I tried to connect my 2.5inch Samsung M3 Portable to it, because I have some installation stuff on it. And while the HDD gets powered up and (usually) listed in Device Manager, it does not show in My Computer. It also doesn't show in...
  6. Can't take ownership of external hard drive

Can't take ownership of external hard drive: I have an external hard drive and when i try to open it, it says access denied.. when i try to see the ownership, it says unable to determine owner. When i try to change the ownership through various methods like cmd promp takeown or by going to the properties of the drive,...
  7. Do AC powered external HDD's work with Windows turn off hdd feature?

Do AC powered external HDD's work with Windows turn off hdd feature?: Been a while since I owned an AC powered external hdd. Do they respond to the same turn off hdd after setting in that of power features or do they have their own power management features? 88098
  8. USB3.0 Issues and Internal HDD shows as removable

USB3.0 Issues and Internal HDD shows as removable: Hi all, I'm running Win10 64bit. My sig has all my system details. I use 2 SSD's and 1 internal HDD. Issue 1: My internal 2TB HDD is displayed in Device Manager as Portable Devices. This HDD hosts my User's Folders. Issue 2: I have an external HDD which is a...
  9. Issues after taking ownership of C:\

in Windows 10 Support
    Issues after taking ownership of C:\: Hi there. I've been rather stupid and transferred ownership of C:\, including system32, to my account (the administrator and only user). While I would instantly switch it back, due to an unrelated reason I restarted my computer (Surface Pro 4). Since then I've done research...
  10. Removing old D:\Windows

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Removing old D:\Windows: It seems my old windows 7 directory (D:\Windows) is extremely difficult to remove. I already took ownership of all files (via Win10), but Microsoft, as usual, very aggressively hinders you in doing what you want to do. How do I delete these files?! Even just opening an...