Windows 10: Remove Windows Software Development Kit?

Discus and support Remove Windows Software Development Kit? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Win 10. Found SDK, which occupies 2.46 G. I did not install it; maybe it came with some utility. Or is it a part of Windows 10 which must be there? I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by tcebob, Oct 20, 2015.

1. tcebob Win User

Remove Windows Software Development Kit?

Win 10. Found SDK, which occupies 2.46 G. I did not install it; maybe it came with some utility. Or is it a part of Windows 10 which must be there? I don't intend to develop any software for a while, so if it isn't needed for the system I'll get rid of it.

:)

tcebob, Oct 20, 2015

2. Software Developer

This question is outside the scope of this site (for consumers) and to be sure you get the best (and quickest) answer it should be asked either on Technet (for IT Pro's) or MSDN (for developers)
    Technet forumss/en-US/home

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forum

ZigZag3143 (MS -MVP), Oct 20, 2015
  3. VuDNguyen Win User
    Software Developer

Dear All,

We develop a windows-based software and deploy it through ClickOnce for our customers. It works fine for all OS (Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8)
    excepts on computers having Windows 10, if we run software through
    ClickOnce program, we always see at least 10 messages popping up when starting the program with the same content:

" The ordinal 1017 could not be located in the dynamic link library C:\WINDOWS\system32\dataexchange.dll." and its title is "MyProgram.exe - Ordinal not found".

But if I debug and run the same program on Visual Studio 2013 Pro, the above error message never shows up.

Could you give me some ideas or advice to get rid of the above message?

Thank you so much for your help.

Thanks,

Vu Nguyen

VuDNguyen, Oct 20, 2015
  4. Joergi Win User

The Windows Software Development Kit contains headers, libraries and tools, which can be used to create Apps for Windows. It is not part of the Windows operating system itself and it is not needed to run Windows.

Joergi, Oct 20, 2015
  5. jds63 Win User
    Probably if you also installed any PC games, parts of it due to .NET Framework and DirectX needed for games or some other software.

jds63, Oct 20, 2015
  6. I've installed plenty of games, but never needed 2.5GB for libraries or tools for the games. Whenever you install anything, and if the option presents itself, choose a custom install, and deselect every part of the program you do not need installed. This is true of games, adobe software, and more.

DustSailor, Oct 20, 2015
  7. jds63 Win User
    Good breakdown of what is in this kit. I forgot Visual C++ Runtime libraries. Noticed DirectX 9c SDK used for games is a bit over 500MB plus if it downloads more during setup.
    Windows 10 SDK - Windows app development

jds63, Oct 21, 2015
  8. Ztruker Win User

It also contains Windows PE which is a great way to create a bootable flash drive with Windows on it for use in repairing a computer. I just downloaded the latest Win 10 SDK for this.

Ztruker, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Remove Windows Software Development Kit? - Similar Threads - Remove Software Development

2. Development of innovative Software

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Development of innovative Software: My name is G.P and I’m a civil engineer. Over many years of heavy involvement in the Construction Industry and large scale Civil Engineering Projects both in Greece and abroad and the vast experience accumulated thereof, it was rendered possible to elaborate and develop such...
  3. Windows Development kit multiple instances are safe?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Development kit multiple instances are safe?: Hi All,I'm using Windows 10 Home Single Language version 20H2.on my system apps it shows ...1. Windows Software Development Kit - Windows10.0.76299.15 = 1.99GB 2. Windows Software Development Kit - Windows10.0.17134.12 = 2.13GB 3. Windows Software Development Kit -...
  4. Windows 10 Software developer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 Software developer: Hi There, i contracted an overseas freelance programmer to develop a windows application for me, he has done an excellent job and has delivered everything in the application which i asked for in around 130 hours. How can i be sure that when i install this app it doesn't have...
  5. Software Development

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Software Development: Is somebody interested in forming a team to develop a new program ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/software-development/78aa33f7-402b-4124-b3ce-d8d845f7b41c"
  6. Microsoft open sourcing Quantum Development Kit in GitHub

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft open sourcing Quantum Development Kit in GitHub: At Microsoft, our Quantum mission is to develop and deploy the world’s most scalable, secure, quantum computing system and to support a rich ecosystem of domain experts, developers, and researchers to solve today’s most challenging problems. To help achieve this mission we...
  7. Do I need all versions of my Windows Software Development Kit?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Do I need all versions of my Windows Software Development Kit?: I saw another question on this, but it failed to actually answer the question. So I'm asking again. I've got four Windows Software Development Kits listed in "Uninstall or Change Program". I had five, and removed the oldest. I use Visual Studio Community. What purpose...
  8. Intel IoT Developers Kit Permissions Advisory

in Windows 10 News
    Intel IoT Developers Kit Permissions Advisory: Intel ID: INTEL-SA-00173 Advisory Category: Software Impact of vulnerability: Escalation of Privilege Severity rating: MEDIUM Original release: 09/11/2018 Last revised: 09/11/2018 Summary: A potential security vulnerability in Intel® IoT Developers Kit may allow escalation...
  9. Windows 10 Software Development Kit (SDK) build 14383 now available

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 Software Development Kit (SDK) build 14383 now available: Today, we released a new Windows 10 Anniversary SDK Preview to be used in conjunction with Windows 10 Insider Preview (Build 14383 or greater). The Preview SDK is a pre-release and cannot be used in a production environment. Please only install the SDK on your test machine....
  10. Developers will receive Windows Holographic kits at GDC 2017

in Windows 10 News
    Developers will receive Windows Holographic kits at GDC 2017: In June 2016, Microsoft announced it would open Windows Holographic to all devices starting in 2017. It was followed in December by the announcement of the minimum specs required for the feature to work with Windows 10 PCs. This new feature and the respective set of...