Windows 10: Remove Windows\Windows.edb?

Discus and support Remove Windows\Windows.edb? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Can I remove this file (11,3 GB): C:\Users\All Users\Microsoft\Search\Data\Applications\Windows\Windows.edb The indexing is switched off for all... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Bingus, Aug 24, 2016.

1. Bingus Win User

Remove Windows\Windows.edb?

Can I remove this file (11,3 GB): C:\Users\All Users\Microsoft\Search\Data\Applications\Windows\Windows.edb

The indexing is switched off for all drives.

:)

Bingus, Aug 24, 2016

2. Safesearch.ch

How do I remove safesearch.ch from Microsoft Edge ASAP?

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

Remove safesear.ch ASAP, Aug 24, 2016
  3. C5-03 remove bookmarks? remove incomplete downloads?

Hi, does anyone know how to deleted internet bookmarks from this phone? Created 2 but want to take them off doesn't seem to be an option to do so. Also I keep gettin a "view incomplete downloads" message, which I can hide but there are no options to resume
    or delete download.

any help be greatly appreciated.

mothershaboo, Aug 24, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Hello, a web search for
    windows.edb
    offers this (and many more such)
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...45a621d?auth=1

albeit for Win 8. That should give enough of a clue.

Interestingly I do have indexing enabled- for the default very small no. of items- but no Windows.edb. Mine was a clean install of '10.

Indexing is necessary so, for example, you can search Settings.

I'd be interested if you can do that..

dalchina, Aug 24, 2016
  5. Bingus Win User
    Hello dalchina,

Thank you very much!

I have done this:
    1) Search for "Indexing Options" (under "Settings"). Open it.
    2) Search "services" (or run "services.msc") and find "Windows Search". Stop the service.
    3) Delete the Windows.edb file

I have removed all of the items to be indexed:

Remove Windows\Windows.edb? [​IMG]

But obviously the Windows Search always starts again automatically:

Remove Windows\Windows.edb? [​IMG]

Could / should I completely switch it off? I never use Win Explorer or Windows to search. I assume, I have never searched for settings or so.

Many thank again.

Bingus, Aug 24, 2016
  6. dalchina New Member
    Ah.. having removed all the default items indexed, I think you will find searching settings will not work.

Also Cortana search will find no files and folders - not that that's sthg that's well implemented and best ignored.

More importantly, I would guess your Cortana search bar won't even find start menu items - a great convenience - if you use Win 10's start menu.

Searching Settings is really useful and helps you find things that can be awkward to find or navigate to.

Since there's nothing to search, why bother hacking services? No overhead.

dalchina, Aug 24, 2016
  7. Bingus Win User
    Many thanks.

So, the search after pressing the "Windows" key "Start" in that menu seems to work like before.

I have never used Cortana.

I use it very seldom, but it still seems to work.

Yes, but I had hoped it might increase the speed of the system, respectively the indexing would not cause slowness.

Bingus, Aug 24, 2016
  8. dalchina New Member

If it's not doing anything, search has no effect. The default items indexed are indexed with no noticeable effect on system performance. Indexing is performed when the system is idle and stops when complete or the system is in use.

dalchina, Aug 24, 2016
  9. Bingus Win User
    Alright, may be after some time I will just use the default search indexing settings again. Is there a an easy way to just activate the default settings?

Bingus, Aug 24, 2016
  10. topgundcp Win User
    Based on what i saw here. 11.3GB is way too big for Windows Search Index database. This is either your Windows.edb is corrupted or the file is being carried over from an earlier upgrade.
    It is not true as said above, search will work except it will be slower to perform the search on the fly without indexing.
    IMHO, Windows Search is a bad feature and it is the first thing I disable after installing Windows. I use third party search engine instead, light weight, does not cause resource hog and can effect Windows performance. Everything Search Engine is a good free search engine.
    Having said that. Just happened to help another fellow member on similar problem:
    Solved Windows Search Service Terminated - Windows 10 Forums
    to rebuild the search index database. Just temporarily disable the Windows Search Service then you can delete Windows.edb, re-enable it and let Windows rebuild the index. The result is his PC run a lot smoother.

topgundcp, Aug 24, 2016
  11. Bingus Win User
    No, it is the original Win 10, not upgraded, supplied with the Notebook.

Thank you for the link, yes, "Everything" I use myself, very good program. And for the link to that thread. Alright, at the moment I have removed all of the items to be indexed of that dialog as I cannot find an option to turn off that service completely.

Many thanks.

Bingus, Aug 24, 2016
  12. PiKo Win User
    I did a check on Windows.edb. Size: 72 Mb; date modified: now with starting up PC. No worries therefore.
    But I donot use indexing and the search possibilities of windows. Use a 3rd party programme.

13. Bingus Win User

Alright, thank you, PiKo.

Bingus, Aug 24, 2016
  14. topgundcp Win User
    Open services, double click on Windows Search, select disabled from drop down list->Apply, delete Windows.edb then select Automatic to re-enable.

topgundcp, Aug 24, 2016
  15. Bingus Win User
    Alright, thank you very much!

Bingus, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Remove Windows\Windows.edb? - Similar Threads - Remove WindowsWindows edb

2. Exchange EDB to PST Converter Software

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Exchange EDB to PST Converter Software: If you are searching the best Exchange Server EDB to PST Software for repairing damaged or corrupted and dismounted Exchange server. After reading this post you don't need to go anywhere because here am reveling the software name that helping you in all the above cases and...
  3. Windows 10 EDB Etkinleştirme BIOS

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows 10 EDB Etkinleştirme BIOS: merhaba,MSI B460M PRO ve Intel I5 10400F işlemini yapıyorum. işletim sistemi sürümü ise Windows 10 64 Bit Sürüm 1903, İS Derlemesi 18362.239.Anakartımın BIOS'unda XD Execute Disable Bit veya hiçbir şekilde ulaşamıyorum. Böyle bir menü çıkmıyor. Bir ürün gibik için bu ayar...
  4. Stellar Converter for EDB – Best Software to convert EDB file to PST

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Stellar Converter for EDB – Best Software to convert EDB file to PST: Today, we are going to explore an EDB to PST converter application, called Stellar Converter for EDB. This application promises safe and effective conversion from any EDB file of any version of Exchange Server – from 2007 to 2019, to PST and other formats. The application...
  5. Stellar Converter for EDB – Best Software to convert EDB file to PST

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Stellar Converter for EDB – Best Software to convert EDB file to PST: Today, we are going to explore an EDB to PST converter application, called Stellar Converter for EDB. This application promises safe and effective conversion from any EDB file of any version of Exchange Server – from 2007 to 2019, to PST and other formats. The application...
  6. FIles e.g., edb and Windows.jfm

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    FIles e.g., edb and Windows.jfm: When I manually copy my files to another external drive, I always encounter, “Could not find this item”, I just click on Skip. The following it is not able to find are: a windows.edb b edbtemp c edb d edb0094A e edb009A5 f edb009A6 g Windows.jfm They are supposed...
  7. Format Specification of EDB files

in Cortana
    Format Specification of EDB files: Hi, I am working in forensics and i would like to know if EDB file specifications are provided by microsoft team. I need to analyze the edge , IE and cortana...
  8. i have a file called .edb on windows and it is 260 gigabytes.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    i have a file called .edb on windows and it is 260 gigabytes.: ok so title states it all. why is a windows .edb file 260 gigabytes. submitted by /u/existingCS_ [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/etz0qx/i_have_a_file_called_edb_on_windows_and_it_is_260/
  9. EDB index search database file -- can I locate on a removable hard drive?

in Cortana
    EDB index search database file -- can I locate on a removable hard drive?: I just indexed a 2 TB USB-attached, external hard drive on my Windows 10 Enterprise laptop. The indexing was added to the *.edb file located in C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Search\Data\Applications. The process increased the size of the "Windows.edb" file by about 4 GB. There is...
  10. asking question about .edb data files. What are they used for?

in Windows 10 Support
    asking question about .edb data files. What are they used for?: I posted or tried to post a question yesterday asking about .edb data files. I have several LARGE .edb data files on my desktop and wonder what they are for. The name associated with most of them starts out as "Catalog...............and long name.edb 1. I did not make...