Windows 10: Remove work or school account from PC

Discus and support Remove work or school account from PC in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I have connected my school account to my PC a few weeks ago and now I'm realizing that some of my settings on my PC are controlled by my school. For... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by UmarDhillon, Jul 29, 2020.

1. Remove work or school account from PC

I have connected my school account to my PC a few weeks ago and now I'm realizing that some of my settings on my PC are controlled by my school. For example, I can not use a PIN in order to log on since my "organization" controls that setting. I have tried to remove the account with multiple different approaches. Initially, I went to the "Access work or school" section in the settings of my PC and have selected the option to "disconnect" the school account. However, every time I do this the account does not get disconnected. I have also selected the option to "manage your account" and have disconnected the account from the Microsoft website when I was prompted to log in to the account. I have also contacted my school's IT department and they have remotely accessed my computer and could not figure out how to remove the account after trying other options. I would greatly appreciate any help, thank you.

:)

UmarDhillon, Jul 29, 2020

2. Can't remove a Work or School account from Windows 10

This scenario occurs when you sign in with a personal Microsoft Account, and then add a Work or School organisational (Office 365) account.

The aim is to remove a Work or School Account from the PC, so that a different Work or School account can be used.

You should be signing in with a Personal Microsoft Account, and the PC should not be on a domain to reproduce this.

Steps to repro

1. Create a login on the PC using your Personal Microsoft Account

2. Open Settings > Accounts > Access work or school

3. Click "Connect"

4. Enter the details for your Work or School Organisational Account (NOT another Personal MSA)

This will then pull down the policy etc. and link the account to Windows. Seems to work fine, but then if you want to remove the account it is impossible. Try this:

1. Open Settings > Accounts > Access work or school

2. Click on the Organisational account you added previously

3. Click on "Disconnect"

4. A prompt will appear asking if you are sure

5. Click Yes

6. A further prompt will appear asking you to disconnect from the organisation

7. Click Disconnect

8. A yellow error message says "This PC isn't joined to a domain"

This does not appear to be the correct behaviour - It should be possible to remove the account here. The message is technically correct...The device is not on a domain, but this should not stop the account being removed.

What I am trying to do, is disconnect one account and add a different one. Adding two Work or School accounts does not seem to work, so removing the old one first is the only option but this is impossible due to the above mentioned error.

Anybody know how to get around this without wiping the whole device?

Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Network & internet / PC

Danieltharris, Jul 29, 2020
  3. Eiji T Win User
    Work or school account can't be removed from the device

First of all, are you using a Microsoft account or a local account to sign in to your PC? I really don't see an issue with the current user account if you're trying to remove a different Microsoft account in Settings.

Did you have Office 365 installed before and your work/school account added to it? What does it exactly say when you try to manage that account in Settings > Accounts > Email & accounts? Usually it will open a new windows where you sign in, although even if
    you sign in to it, I don't think you can do anything relevant unless you're one of the administrators for that work/school network.

You can try these steps and see if it will work for you. Please make sure you're sign in to an administrator account in your PC first:

1. Go to Settings > Accounts > Your info

2. Click "Sign in with a local account instead" if your Microsoft account is added. You might be signed out after this step.

3. Sign back in. Then go to Settings > Accounts > Access work or school

4. Click "Disconnect" and see if that works.

If it worked, you can sign your Microsoft account back in.

You can refer to the link below for more info:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-...

Please tell me whatever the results are.

Eiji T, Jul 29, 2020
  4. Vesao Win User

Remove work or school account from PC

Remove account

I suggest you backup your personalized files first before removing the account.
    To delete an account, follow these steps:
    1. Press WIN + X keys and click Command Prompt (Admin) from the menu.
    2. Type the following command and press Enter. Replace test with the name of your sister's account. Code:

Vesao, Jul 29, 2020
Thema:

Remove work or school account from PC

1. Remove work or school account from PC - Similar Threads - Remove school account

2. No Remove option on a "work or school account"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    No Remove option on a "work or school account": I'm getting a constant pop-up from my laptop to sign into my Microsoft Account, but when I try to sign in it either reappears a few minutes later or tells me I cannot sign in.I think it might be because it's trying to sign me into a school account I used a few years ago for a...
  3. Cannot remove Work/School Account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot remove Work/School Account: Hello,I recently left my college and am enrolling for university. I had removed the one drive, office and account details for my old college account from my PC. completely as far as i was aware. Reinstalled office using my university ID because then i can have the free...
  4. Cannot remove Work/School Account

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot remove Work/School Account: Hello,I recently left my college and am enrolling for university. I had removed the one drive, office and account details for my old college account from my PC. completely as far as i was aware. Reinstalled office using my university ID because then i can have the free...
  5. Cannot remove Work/School Account

in Windows 10 Customization
  6. Cant remove work or school account

Cant remove work or school account: Hi i have a problem where i cant remove my school account on my device. Firstly i downloaded microsoft teams and i tried to log in on the app but i couldnt then i logged in on the online version of the microsoft teams and somehow it automaticly connected with my device. Now...
  7. Cant remove work/school account

Cant remove work/school account: Greetings, for past few hours i've been trying to remove my school account but sadly no luck so far. it just keeps telling me "this work or school account cannot be removed by system policy" i tried signing in with a local account and then disconnecting my school...
  8. Work or school account can't be removed from the device

Work or school account can't be removed from the device: I've got a "work or school" account to which I no longer have access. I keep receiving notifications from Windows that say that "it needs to be fixed". So I'm trying to remove it doing this: 1. Go to settings. 2. Click "Accounts". 3. Click "Access work or school" on the...
  9. Remove an account from school pc.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Remove an account from school pc.: Okay so I signed in to Microsoft PowerPoint on a school pc a few weeks ago and now it has signed me into windows. I have tried to do it my self but to no avail. there is no button for removing the account but I have removed the email. I live in Denmark but I don't know if...
  10. Remove unauthorized work or school account

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Remove unauthorized work or school account: I am a single consumer user on Windows 10 Pro platform. I subscribe to Office 365 Personal, with a version on my laptop and Android. In Windows settings, System, Shared Experiences it states I have given access to a "Work or school account." I have no work or school account....