Windows 10: Remove Write protection

Discus and support Remove Write protection in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; how do I remove the write protection from my removable disc?... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by SheaWilson1, Jan 15, 2020.

1. Remove Write protection

how do I remove the write protection from my removable disc?

:)

SheaWilson1, Jan 15, 2020
  2. yahanna Win User

How to Remove Write-Protection from an OEM USB Drive?

I did all that. After I entered, "ATTRIBUTES DISK CLEAR READONLY", I didnt get a prompt stating that the write protect has been removed. But the command prompt stated that disk attributes cleared successfully.

But when I tried to format the USB drive I get a pop up window stating that its still write-protected. Do you have any other suggestions?

yahanna, Jan 15, 2020
  3. Rohit_R Win User
    The Disk Is Write Protected - How To Remove Write Protection

Hi Fernanda,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

In regards to your concern, please help me with following questions:

• Is the Hard drive external or internal?
    You can try following steps and check if that fixes the issue:

1. Run Virus scan on the Hard Drive.
    2. Perform check disk commands on the Hard Disk to fix the Disk errors.
    Refer to this article.

Note: Remove all the external devices before performing check disk.

Data Loss Disclaimer:

While performing these steps there might be a risk of data loss. You may take a backup of the data before performing the steps.

Hope it helps.

Let us know if you got the help you needed by clicking Yes or No.

Rohit Raina

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Rohit_R, Jan 15, 2020
  4. Fernandz Win User

Remove Write protection

How To Format A Write Protected Flash Memory ?

¿You already tried this one?...

Run CMD

1. diskpart
    2. list disk

Then in the 3º step, put the correct number of disk in the list for the usb flash (if it's listed in disk 3, then you'll have to write select disk 3).

2. select disk #
    3. clean
    4. create partition primary
    5. select partition 1
    6. active
    7. format fs=fat32
    8. assign
    9. exit

with that commands you will format the flash drive in fat32, if you have a large drive you can select also "format fs=ntfs" in step 7.

good luck!

Fernandz, Jan 15, 2020
Thema:

Remove Write protection

1. Remove Write protection - Similar Threads - Remove Write protection

2. External USB hard drive is write-protected. How can I remove write protection?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    External USB hard drive is write-protected. How can I remove write protection?: I have been using a Western Digital My Passport external USB 3.0 hard drive for years as a backup drive. My old computer died and I just replaced it. Now when I plug in the external drive, I cannot write to it in any way, even just renaming a file. This error message is...
  3. write protection

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    write protection: Inadvertantly, I have opted to write protect the files in a flash drive. Can I remove this option by reformatting the drive? Can I also remove this protection from an external hard drive the same way? I hate to throw away the drives if they can be salvaged....
  4. Write protection

in Windows 10 Support
    Write protection: So i logged on my computer today only to find that all my folders and files have a blank paper attached to their icons, and windows has enabled write protection on all my folders so i cant save important settings. Any way to fix this? 128441
  5. remove write-protection

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    remove write-protection: hi i was having issues with steam downloading /updating games i would get corrupt disk / read /disk write errors all the time so i did some googling and found some posts about removing write-protection on the drive so i followed videos on how to do it but now my drive is...
  6. The Disk Is Write Protected - How To Remove Write Protection

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    The Disk Is Write Protected - How To Remove Write Protection: Hi I just join my computer with autopilot and mi HDD of storage don't allow me to write for permission, I try modify permission from properties ->security->advance option and nothing, I try with cmd with the comand diskpart --> attributes disk clear readonly and nothing....
  7. Remove write protect from SD card

Remove write protect from SD card: Can someone tell me how to remove "write protect" from an SD card in WIndows 10. Most of the info on the net is out of date or doesn't work and I don't want to go into the registry unless I really have to. It seems every disk I use in my Olympus ends up write protected....
  8. Remove write protection

Remove write protection: So my harddrive crashed, I replaced it with one from newegg.com however it had no operating system so I bought windows 10 at best buy, it comes on a 16gig usb 3.0 flash drive. I have it all running good it's just that I want to use this flash drive for personal things but I...
  9. MBR2GPT conversion error "please remove the write protection"

MBR2GPT conversion error "please remove the write protection": so I'm doing the GPT conversion on a laptop booted into windows. I run /convert /allowfullos it creates the new partition but from there i get the message saying the disk cannot be written to because it is write protected. Please remove the write protection from the volume...
  10. Deny Write Access to Removable Drives not Protected by BitLocker

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Deny Write Access to Removable Drives not Protected by BitLocker: How to: Deny Write Access to Removable Drives not Protected by BitLocker Allow or Deny Write Access to Removable Drives not Protected by BitLocker in Windows You can use BitLocker Drive Encryption to help protect your files on an entire drive. BitLocker can help block...