Windows 10: Remove write protection

Discus and support Remove write protection in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; So my harddrive crashed, I replaced it with one from newegg.com however it had no operating system so I bought windows 10 at best buy, it comes on a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by sixpounder08, Apr 14, 2016.

1. Remove write protection

So my harddrive crashed, I replaced it with one from newegg.com however it had no operating system so I bought windows 10 at best buy, it comes on a 16gig usb 3.0 flash drive. I have it all running good it's just that I want to use this flash drive for personal things but I can't remove the write protection from it, I've tried multiple tutorials and how to videos with no luck. Im running windows 10 home edition, and I do have a laptop running linux mint if you know a Linux program that could handle it for me...thanks in advance.

:)

sixpounder08, Apr 14, 2016
  2. jrj1040 Win User

Removing write protect

Last year I went through an important data folder on my PC and Write Protected the individual files of folders. Now I need to copy them to a USB stick to install on another Lap Top. Every time I try to copy I get a Write Protect message and my USB flash
    drive is Write Protected with no data. Repeatedly I've selected individual folders, selected Properties, and tried to remove the Write Protection and indications and it works. To verify I reselect the same folder and go to Properties again. Write Protect
    is still there. I've used Apply with bo success. How can I remove Write Protect?no success.
    Remove write protection [​IMG]

jrj1040, Apr 14, 2016
  3. Danbobo Win User
    Write Protection Removal

Thank you Ruth. I have six hidden volumes, of which WINRE is volume 3. Attributes volume or Clear is giving me error on the Hidden Volumes - Virtual Disk Service error. The Object is not found.

Attributes disk clear also returned error.

Diskpart failed to clear disk 0 attributes but cleared the smaller disk 1 successfully.

Am actually able to run chkdsk\f c:" now and no error was found but still cannot fix startup.

There is an object in boot sector that is preventing repair to boot and any type of update to boot sector. How can we remove this object? The is unusual.

Error Code 0x0000034

The drive where where Windows is installed is locked, unlock the drive an try again.

Danbobo, Apr 14, 2016
  4. CountMike New Member

Remove write protection

I would keep that drive as it is, USB pendrives are cheap enough and you may need that one to reinstall/repair your windows.
    On the other hand, most Linux distros come with some kind of partition manager which should be able to erase any USB unless it has hardware lock.

CountMike, Apr 15, 2016
  5. That USB drive is physically write protected in the drive hardware itself. Nothing you do will unlock it. Its done that way to act more like a DVD, it cannot be infected by malware if it is inserted in an infected system.

logicearth, Apr 16, 2016
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    Why couldn't you just re-install the operating system that was on the computer before? If it was a legitimate upgrade to Windows 10 from Windows 7/8/8.1 that was on it before, the computer would have had a digital entitlement for Windows 10 stored on Microsoft activation servers and you could have installed Windows 10 again without buying anything.

In the meantime, why mess up a Microsoft certified Windows 10 installation flash drive when you can buy a 16gb for $6?
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/searchpa...=960&keys=keys

NavyLCDR, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Remove write protection

1. Remove write protection - Similar Threads - Remove write protection

2. How to remove write protection on usb

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to remove write protection on usb: I wanted to install windows 8.1 on a windows 7 computer so I put the iso file on a usb drive and made it bootable but after I tried booting from it it said I had to change it to MBR since it was on GPT but I couldn’t because it said it was write protected. How do I fix this I...
  3. Remove the write-protection from the disk

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Remove the write-protection from the disk: Hello Team,From the last two days when I try to copy and paste any file on my internal Hard disk, I am getting this error The disk is write protected. Remove the Write protection or use another disk.I have tried to clear readonly in CMD using attributes disk clear readonly...
  4. Remove Write Protect on Flash Drives

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Remove Write Protect on Flash Drives: I have been trying for several days to remove Write Protect on my Flash Drives.I have been trying the DOS Commands.I tried the DISKPART and none of the disk drives appear. I have also tried Windows 8.1, with the same results, but would like to stay on Windows 10.There are no...
  5. Unable to remove write protection

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to remove write protection: I'm not able to delete some files in my pc. They're actually in my phone and I'm not able to see them even if I "enable show hidden files" in my phone.So I plugged in the USB cable, went to my phone downloads, and then tried to delete it. But it shows unable to delete because...
  6. Unable to remove write protection

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to remove write protection: I'm not able to delete some files in my pc. They're actually in my phone and I'm not able to see them even if I "enable show hidden files" in my phone.So I plugged in the USB cable, went to my phone downloads, and then tried to delete it. But it shows unable to delete because...
  7. Unable to remove write protection

in Windows 10 Gaming
  8. Remove Write protection

Remove Write protection: how do I remove the write protection from my removable disc? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/remove-write-protection/7c54f2b7-9c7e-45c7-aba7-f536bfc9f088
  9. remove write-protection

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    remove write-protection: hi i was having issues with steam downloading /updating games i would get corrupt disk / read /disk write errors all the time so i did some googling and found some posts about removing write-protection on the drive so i followed videos on how to do it but now my drive is...
  10. The Disk Is Write Protected - How To Remove Write Protection

The Disk Is Write Protected - How To Remove Write Protection: Hi I just join my computer with autopilot and mi HDD of storage don't allow me to write for permission, I try modify permission from properties ->security->advance option and nothing, I try with cmd with the comand diskpart --> attributes disk clear readonly and nothing....