Windows 10: Remove yellow/blue sheild icon from shortcuts

Discus and support Remove yellow/blue sheild icon from shortcuts in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; After upgrading to Windows 10, some desktop shortcuts have UAC shield icons. Is it possible to remove them? [img] EDIT: Here's a solution...... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Michael, Jul 30, 2015.

1. Michael Win User

Remove yellow/blue sheild icon from shortcuts

After upgrading to Windows 10, some desktop shortcuts have UAC shield icons. Is it possible to remove them?

Remove yellow/blue sheild icon from shortcuts [​IMG]

EDIT: Here's a solution...
    Launch the shortcuts via CMD:

• Right-click the shortcut to Properties
    • Click Change Icon, then click OK when its window pops up (necessary step to avoid losing the icon)
    • Add the following, plus a space, to the beginning of the Target field, leaving the existing path at the end:
      Code: cmd /c start ""[/quote]
    I had previously solved this by editing a system icon file, but that method doesn't seem to be working as of update 1607, plus it was a lot more trouble.

:)

Michael, Jul 30, 2015
  2. mlg63 Win User
    mlg63, Jul 30, 2015
  3. How do I shrink the size of the blue arrow or blue/yellow checkered shield over the top of my desktop shortcut icons?

On my desktop shortcuts, the blue arrows on white squares are taking up almost the entire lower left quadrant of my icon. Also, some shortcuts have a blue and yellow checkered shield in the lower right quadrant. Combined, about half the icon is obscured.
    Is there any way to shrink the size of arrows and shields that overlay these icons, or conversely, increase the relative size of the icons so that the arrow or shield obscures less of them?

MrBrassman, Jul 30, 2015
  4. mrpeters Win User

Would appear that you need Administrative rights to run those programs. I wonder if you could use a hack like the blank.ico trick for not having the shortcut "arrow" overlay on shortcuts, the way Ultimate Windows Tweaker 3 does.

mrpeters, Jul 30, 2015
  5. Michael Win User
    I tried something similar called "Microangelo On Display", but no luck. It's apparently lost its previous shield-removing powers on Windows 10.

Is anyone else aware of any apps/hacks that would be able to do this?

Michael, Aug 11, 2015
  6. DTG1 Win User
    Those shields mean that the program has Administrative rights to run. To remove them, typically, all you need to do is remove Admin rights from the shortcut or via the *.exe.

7. Michael Win User
    Right, but those programs typically need admin rights, right? I'm just looking for a way to prevent the icon from showing up.

From what I've read, you'd need to manually edit the imageres.dll that contains the icon, or find a program like On Display that does this for you (if that is how it does what it does).

I just can't find anything on how to do this in Windows 10.

Michael, Aug 11, 2015
  8. DTG1 Win User

Games dont need admin rights and I doubt your imageres.dll contains those game icons.

Most of the time you can manually change icons without a program, but I heard there was another tweakui floating around that will remove the shortcut arrows.

9. DTG1 Win User
    Wrong. They only need specific permission to perform saves.

10. Michael Win User
    Do you know which permissions would be enough to allow them to save, but not so much that the icon shows up?

Michael, Sep 25, 2015
  11. shimshom Win User
    I had the same problem and followed the tutorial below to get rid of it. You can actually also get rid of the short cut arrow the same way without going through the other trick. Might seem a bit daunting but it's easy and I've had no issues since doing it

Clear uac icon overlays on windows 8 icons

shimshom, Sep 25, 2015
  12. DTG1 Win User
    afaik, UAC permission should be built into games, same goes for the folder that the saves go into. When I refer to specific permission, I mean that the game should have permissions only for folder that the game needs, no more. Installation folder(s), settings folders (%user/appdata%), and saves folders (most games save in %user/documents%), some of this information is saved to the registry under the games publisher and/or developer. I wish I knew the exact process how games receive and utilize read/write permissions, and I think UAC has a lot to do with it. All I know is that M$ allows the registry to be used like a dart board, so spyware and virus's can easily abuse and hide in it.

Any game specific icons should be in the same folder as the main program.

13. Michael Win User

EDIT: this no longer seems to be working as of update 1607. Here's a much simpler solution.

Thanks! This worked perfectly.

For those interested, here's a more concise step-by-step:

• Copy imageres.dll out of C:\Windows\System32\ to work on it
    • Open it with Resource Hacker
    • Navigate to "Icon Group" 78 and right-click to "Save *.ico resource"
    • Open the saved (shield) .ico with IcoFX
    • Ctrl+Q to reduce opacity to -99 (not -100, lest they appear as black boxes)
    • Repeat for each of the icon sizes except 16x16 (where it comes in handy in context menus)
    • Save the .ico and exit IcoFX
    • Back in Resource Hacker, right-click 78, this time clicking "Replace Icon"
    • Click "Open file with new icon", select your edited shield .ico, and click "Replace"
    • Save the edited imageres.dll and exit Resource Hacker
    • Take ownership of the original, System32 imageres.dll, as well as the one found in SysWOW64
    • Rename them both to imageres_original.dll or similar
    • Copy your edited imageres.dll to both System32 and SysWOW64
    • Rebuild the icon cache, and behold, your shortcuts are shield free!

Michael, Oct 13, 2015
  14. shimshom Win User
    Glad it worked and just remember if you use sfc /scannow it will replace the imageres.dll as it considers it corrupted but it's just a matter of putting the modded dll back

shimshom, Oct 14, 2015
  15. Win 10 is not letting me paste the nice clean fixed version of imageres.dll (or save any modifications to the original) :/

justhackitup, Mar 17, 2016
Thema:

1. Remove yellow/blue sheild icon from shortcuts - Similar Threads - Remove yellow blue

2. how to remove UAC Sheild from Icon in desktop and run as administration has no tick marked

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how to remove UAC Sheild from Icon in desktop and run as administration has no tick marked: How to remove the UAC Sheild from the Icon on the desktop and run it as the administration has no tick mark? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-remove-uac-sheild-from-icon-in-desktop-and/83bc899c-94af-4f9d-b9a8-a2693f755dfe
  3. how to remove UAC Sheild from Icon in desktop and run as administration has no tick marked

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how to remove UAC Sheild from Icon in desktop and run as administration has no tick marked: How to remove the UAC Sheild from the Icon on the desktop and run it as the administration has no tick mark? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-remove-uac-sheild-from-icon-in-desktop-and/83bc899c-94af-4f9d-b9a8-a2693f755dfe
  4. Removing UAC shield from shortcut icons

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Removing UAC shield from shortcut icons: This is not in as much, a question. It's a solution that worked for me in Windows 11. I had a few programs that I created shortcut for and added Admin privileges to. I wanted to remove the admin privileges, so I right-clicked and on the "Compatibility Tab", I unchecked "Run...
  5. Removing UAC shield from shortcut icons

Removing UAC shield from shortcut icons: This is not in as much, a question. It's a solution that worked for me in Windows 11. I had a few programs that I created shortcut for and added Admin privileges to. I wanted to remove the admin privileges, so I right-clicked and on the "Compatibility Tab", I unchecked "Run...
  6. Removing UAC shield from shortcut icons

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. How to remove this icon or shortcut?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to remove this icon or shortcut?: As the following pictures show, how do I remove the icon or shortcut? It can't be deleted using conventional way, yet can't be removed using other softwares too. Some more, can't find it under command prompt, as well.Any inputs will be very much appreciated....
  8. How to remove this icon or shortcut?

How to remove this icon or shortcut?: As the following pictures show, how do I remove the icon or shortcut? It can't be deleted using conventional way, yet can't be removed using other softwares too. Some more, can't find it under command prompt, as well.Any inputs will be very much appreciated....
  9. desktop icon has blue & yellow shield on it

in Windows 10 Customization
    desktop icon has blue & yellow shield on it: Hello All, I have a program Netgear Prosafe VPN client. I have it installed on 2 Win 10 pc's On 1 pc the desktop icon has a yellow and blue shield on the lower right corner. I found that means the app will need elevated privileges to run it always prompts for admin acct...
  10. How to remove blue and yellow shield from an icon in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to remove blue and yellow shield from an icon in Windows 10: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]If you notice an application icon or system icon with a blue and yellow shield (Icon overlay) at the corner, it means that the applications need to run with administrator privileges. When you run such an application, you will get [...] This post How to...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to get rid of shield on icons windows 10