Windows 10: Remove zero size empty drive partitions on Windows 10

Discus and support Remove zero size empty drive partitions on Windows 10 in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi, I have an SSD and an HDD 500 GB. My HDD had some primary partitions and some recovery partitions because I used it in past to install my operating... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by GMDBaloch, Mar 15, 2021.

1. GMDBaloch Win User

Remove zero size empty drive partitions on Windows 10

Hi, I have an SSD and an HDD 500 GB. My HDD had some primary partitions and some recovery partitions because I used it in past to install my operating systems on it. Now as I am using the SSD for my operating system so I wanted to delete those recovery partitions and merge them with my primary partitions. I used windows diskpart utility for doing so. I created some partitions thinking that later using the Disk management tool I would extend my existing volumes but for some reason I could not do that. So I used the Partition Assistant tool to delete these extra partitions and merge them with my Volume D:\ but the problem is that I am seeing these empty drives in my PC.

Remove zero size empty drive partitions on Windows 10 5fcc7fc0-d5f8-4abf-82c1-2f4b5941faa9?upload=true.png

When I right click on it I can't see any unmount option and they are showing a size of zero.

Remove zero size empty drive partitions on Windows 10 84697f2b-7493-44a5-8787-52294438eed1?upload=true.png

Similarly, the Disk Management is not showing these drives.

Remove zero size empty drive partitions on Windows 10 2f325c7c-ac8e-4243-8d49-283165468f86?upload=true.png

Kindly tell me how to remove these empty partitions.

:)

GMDBaloch, Mar 15, 2021
  2. W1zzard Win User

W7 Hard drive partition issue

to get rid of that 100 meg windows partition that setup creates for you on a new install on a blank hdd:

- press shift+f10 when on the partition management screen in setup <-- this opens a command prompt
    - diskpart <-- start the windows command line partition management tool
    - list disk <--- list the installed hdds in this computer for the next step
    - select disk 0 <- might have to replace 0 with the number of the correct disk
    - clean <-- this will erase all data on the disk you selected one step up- dont use the wrong disk!
    - create partition primary <- creates a primary partition taking up all space on the drive, adjust the command if necessary
    - exit, exit to exit diskpart and the command prompt
    - click refresh in partition manager and select your newly created partition and install to that

W1zzard, Mar 15, 2021
  3. Installing Windows Vista/7 on a GUID Partition Table

I've never tried multiple partitions so this is a shot in the dark...

At step #10, I would try setting the size parameter (it is in mebibytes) to how large you want the partition windows is installed on to be, then go ahead and install windows. This will leave the rest of the drive raw instead of consuming it into the OS partition (C drive). Once you successfully boot into Windows, you should be able to use Computer Management -> Disk Management to create partitions in the raw space.

If you really wanted to do it with diskpart before Windows is installed, you basically repeat the following lines making sure to specify a size if you don't want it to consume all remaining space:
    • create partition primary size=size in mebibytes here
    • format quick fs=ntfs label="appropriate name here"
    • assign letter=C thru Z here
    Obviously, you can use quick formatting or leave it out for full format. Leave off the size parameter when you reach the final partition that should consume all the remaining space. Also remember that the order you do this in goes from the outside of the disk (where it is fastest) to the inside of the disk (where it is slowest). Because of this, it is recommended to put EFI (e.g. size=300), then MSR (e.g. size=300), then Windows (e.g. size=30000), then Applications (e.g. size=70000), then Storage (e.g. no size parameter).

If I'm right, the above example would look like this:
    • diskpart
    • list disk
    • select disk <id>
    • online disk
    • attributes disk clear readonly
    • clean
    • convert gpt
    • create partition efi size=300
    • create partition msr size=300
    • create partition primary size=30000
    • format fs=ntfs label="Windows"
    • assign letter=C
    • create partition primary size=70000
    • format fs=ntfs label="Applications"
    • assign letter=D
    • create partition primary
    • format fs=ntfs label="Storage"
    • assign letter=E
    • exit

FordGT90Concept, Mar 15, 2021
  4. fredde Win User

Partition Sizes?

My new system has 2 150 g Raptors in Raid0. I normally keep the O/S on one partition, installed applications on another, and my paging file on another partition. With a volume size of 300 gigs, what would you suggest as far as partition sizes are concerned?

Thank-You. *Smile Remove zero size empty drive partitions on Windows 10 :)*Smile Remove zero size empty drive partitions on Windows 10 :)

fredde, Mar 15, 2021
Thema:

1. Remove zero size empty drive partitions on Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Remove zero size

2. recovery partition is empty

in Windows 10 Gaming
    recovery partition is empty: hi, im using windows 11 homei have a empty recovery partition in disk management, as you can see the recovery partition is emptycan i still reset the pc? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/recovery-partition-is-empty/4f1664d4-6026-49b0-a379-1ba221ccc864
  3. recovery partition is empty

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    recovery partition is empty: hi, im using windows 11 homei have a empty recovery partition in disk management, as you can see the recovery partition is emptycan i still reset the pc? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/recovery-partition-is-empty/4f1664d4-6026-49b0-a379-1ba221ccc864
  4. Empty Partitions

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Empty Partitions: So this is likely going to be one of the strangest questions you'll see today but I'll try to keep everything as brief as possible. Alright first off, hi, I am someone who has been using and fixing computers for the better part of a decade now and in that time I have...
  5. Empty Partitions

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Empty Partitions: So this is likely going to be one of the strangest questions you'll see today but I'll try to keep everything as brief as possible. Alright first off, hi, I am someone who has been using and fixing computers for the better part of a decade now and in that time I have...
  6. Empty Partitions

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Empty Partitions: So this is likely going to be one of the strangest questions you'll see today but I'll try to keep everything a brief as possible. Alright first off, hi, I am someone who has been using and fixing computers for the better part of a decade now and in that time I have...
  7. 480gb ssd with zero size after excluding partition and formatting

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    480gb ssd with zero size after excluding partition and formatting: HELLO ... I MADE A BEETLE ... EXCLUDES THE SINGLE PARTITION OF THE 480GB SSD AND AFTER OTHER PROBLEMS I USED VARIOUS PROGRAMS TO TRY TO RECOVER THE DATA AND THAT WAS WORST THE SITUATION ... SO MUCH AS SSD ALONE ON PC IS NOT RECOGNIZED BY A NEW WINDOWS INSTALLATION BECAUSE ITS...
  8. Is it safe to delete Empty Folders or Zero-byte files in Windows 10?

in Windows 10 News
    Is it safe to delete Empty Folders or Zero-byte files in Windows 10?: [ATTACH]Unfinished downloads, tidbits of earlier installations, and other junk files over time build up […] This article Is it safe to delete Empty Folders or Zero-byte files in Windows 10? first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  9. Empty Partition on C: drive

in Windows 10 Customization
    Empty Partition on C: drive: Hello, a little while ago i tried to install a linux distribution on my Laptop. Unfortunately, i wasnt able to create a new primary partition because there were alredy four partitions. I wonder if i can delete a partition which is completely empty and does not have any...
  10. Size on disk iz zero

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Size on disk iz zero: Hello, I read for 1 byte to 4096 bytes, size on disk is 4KB. so why I have zero byte here? [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/size-on-disk-iz-zero/99dc158f-3478-4d87-afa1-d449b5871c96"