Windows 10: Removed Control Panel settings makes Explorer crash

Discus and support Removed Control Panel settings makes Explorer crash in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hello all, Over time, Microsoft is migrating more and more settings from the Control Panel to the Settings app of Windows 10 but this led to a few... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by JohnnyGui, Sep 25, 2018.

1. JohnnyGui Win User

Removed Control Panel settings makes Explorer crash

Hello all,

Over time, Microsoft is migrating more and more settings from the Control Panel to the Settings app of Windows 10 but this led to a few issues in Control Panel.

For example, when opening Control Panel and searching for the setting file association in the search bar

Removed Control Panel settings makes Explorer crash f5240df3-7a50-4c84-b07a-3d0cdf3f9aeb?upload=true.png

Clicking on that marked would make the tasbar and desktop refresh and then open the modern Windows Settings app. However, an APPCRASH of Explorer would also appear in the Reliability History with the following log:

Bron
    Windows Explorer
    Overzicht
    Werkt niet meer
    Datum
    ‎26-‎9-‎2018 01:30
    Status
    Verzonden rapport
    Beschrijving
    Pad naar toepassing met fout: C:\Windows\explorer.exe
    Probleem met handtekening
    Naam van probleemgebeurtenis: APPCRASH
    Naam van de toepassing: Explorer.EXE
    Versie van toepassing: 10.0.17134.165
    Tijdstempel van toepassing: 4031a9f8
    Naam van foutmodule: sud.dll
    Versie van foutmodule: 10.0.17134.1
    Tijdstempel van foutmodule: 9f75f5b0
    Uitzonderingscode: c0000005
    Uitzonderingsmarge: 0000000000010cd8
    Versie van besturingssysteem: 10.0.17134.2.0.0.256.48
    Landinstelling-id: 1043
    Aanvullende informatie 1: 3132
    Aanvullende informatie 2: 3132864dca4ac195b4b6b201d19ab16b
    Aanvullende informatie 3: 0ac9
    Aanvullende informatie 4: 0ac972a1fe6d92a77184529dae79c2fa
    Extra informatie over het probleem
    Bucket-id: dc88405a3ca670cbdc47097238f43176 (2037607742594888054)

I have ran sfc /scannow and DISM and they didn't find any problems. This happens on a clean install of Windows 10 Pro x64.

Could anyone else try this out and see if this is a general Windows bug?

:)

JohnnyGui, Sep 25, 2018

2. windows 10 control panel

Step 2 does not work at all. Anything from File Explorer and above does not launch at all.

DeviantWolf, Sep 25, 2018
  3. vinceip Win User
    Explorer Crash FIX!

Our old Dell Inspiron N5110 got this problem also.
    Taskbar keeps refreshing. Thanks many hints from guys above pointed me the direction to fix it.
    From Reliability History Monitor I found Explorer keeps crashing because of IDTNC64.CPL (type reliability history at Start)
    1. the issue was from IDTNC64.cpl, the sound driver,
    but I could not successfully to uninstall it from device manager nor control panel or rename the file or the folder.
    2. uninstalled High Definition Audio Device few times, problem remain
    3. tried to uninstall within Control Panel > Program file, yet Control Panel only open 2, 3 seconds then closed automatically.
    4. finally solved Control Panel shut down problem by going to msconfig>services>and disable Windows Error Reporting Service. see below sequence:
    Click window + R keys, type msconfig, Enter to open msconfig, click Services Tag and look for Windows Error Reporting Service. Unchecked it, then apply, ok then reboot system when it suggests.
    5. After this, open Control Panel by clicking Start > type Control Panel. Then my Control Panel open and stay put, won't shut down by itself.
    6. In Control Panel > Programs > I found IDT Audio and successfully to uninstall it.
    7. No more taskbar refresh or Windows Explore shut down after uninstalled IDT and Sound still works great!!!
    8. repeat step 4 to check Windows Error Reporting Services by clicking it. OK then follow system suggestion to reboot.
    9. Control Panel still able to open and remain open. Sound still works and no more refresh.
    10. From Reliability History monitor found no more Windows Explorer crashing.
    I am happy and hope above steps help

vinceip, Sep 25, 2018
  4. Removed Control Panel settings makes Explorer crash

windows 10 control panel

Hello,

Thank you for visiting Microsoft Community and providing us with the detailed description about the issue.

As per the description, I understand that you want to know how to access the control panel in Windows 10?

I certainly understand your concern and will try my best to help you.

I would suggest you to try the following steps to open the Control Panel in the system.

Step 1: Opening Control Panel in Windows 10.

• Open Run command box by simultaneously pressing Windows and R keys (Windows + R).

• In the Run dialog box, type
      Control
      and then press Enter key to open the classic Control Panel.
    Step 2: Access Control Panel in Windows 10 from desktop.

• Right-click on the Start button (Windows logo button at the bottom-left corner of the desktop) and then click Control Panel to open the same.
    Step 3: Launch Control Panel using search.

• Open Start menu or screen.

• In the search box, enter Control Panel and then press Enter key to open the same.
    Note: You can quickly access the search with the help of Windows + C hotkey.

Step 4: Create Control Panel shortcut on desktop.

• Right-click on desktop, click New, and then click Shortcut.
    • In Type the location of the item box, type the following path.
    explorer shell:ControlPanelFolder

• Click Next button.
    • In the Type a name for this shortcut box, type Control Panel, and click Finish button. You can now double-click on the Control Panel icon on the desktop to quickly launch the same.
    Step 5: Pin Control Panel to Start or taskbar.

• In the Start search box, type Control Panel.

• When you see search results, right-click on Control Panel entry and then click Pin to Start to pin it to the Start menu or screen.
    Note: Clicking Pin to taskbar will pin the Control Panel to taskbar.

I hope this information is helpful.

Please do let us know if you need any further assistance, we will be glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Jayant Gupta, Sep 25, 2018
Thema:

Removed Control Panel settings makes Explorer crash

1. Removed Control Panel settings makes Explorer crash - Similar Threads - Removed Control Panel

2. Control Panel VS Settings

in Windows 10 Customization
    Control Panel VS Settings: Hello everybody,Who preferes the control panel and who preferes settings in ms win10?what i think: i dont like settings because a lot of control panel functions are not included.settings seems to be the UWP of the control panel. Is settings wrongly designed yes still in...
  3. Control Panel Settings box keeps crashing

Control Panel Settings box keeps crashing: I can't access any of the control panel setting they keep crashing after one second. Example I go to the control panel and select Sound. The window opens, stays unresponsive for a second, then crashes. It also does this with if I open speaker properties and other settings....
  4. Control Panel crashing

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Control Panel crashing: Hi I have installed Windows 10 Pro Insider Preview Evaluation copy. Build 19608.rs_prerelease.200410-1438 But every time I try and launch control panel it shows the grey screen with the cog and then disappears, Also I am trying to personalise my desktop and I get the...
  5. Control Panel Crashing

Control Panel Crashing: My explorer crashes and restarts every time I tried to run the control panel, and the control panel will disappear as a result. Event viewer reveals that the faulty module that causes the crash is ucrtbase.dll. I have tried to repair all the C++ modules available but with no...
  6. Control Panel AND Settings

Control Panel AND Settings: Why do we find two possibilities to change settings, Control Panel and Settings. They don't cover eachother as far as I know. Why not bring them together? It would be much less confusing in my opinion....
  7. Control Panel makes explorer.exe crash on Windows 10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Control Panel makes explorer.exe crash on Windows 10: I just installed Windows 10 from scratch on my recently formatted HD (using the media creation tool and a pen drive). It was all going OK until i tried to open the control panel: explorer freezes for a couple seconds and crashes, rebooting immediately. I tried to look on...
  8. Can Not Open Settings Control Panel or Internet Explorer

Can Not Open Settings Control Panel or Internet Explorer: I Tryed Downloading a Mac Mode On My Pc After I Deleted It And I Try To Open A App It Said Class Not Registered https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-not-open-settings-control-panel-or-internet/f3d4f5a0-19f4-4c90-9aee-71ca8b3f87b2
  9. no language setting in control panel

no language setting in control panel: [ATTACH]no language setting in control panel https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/no-language-setting-in-control-panel/7747d59d-3536-4785-b09b-70d0a9939941
  10. Removed settings make Control Panel crash?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Removed settings make Control Panel crash?: Hello all, Over time, Microsoft is migrating more and more settings from the Control Panel to the Settings app of Windows 10 but this led to a few bugs in Control Panel. For example, when opening Control Panel and searching for the following option: [img] Clicking this...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. control panel makes windows explorer crash