Windows 10: Removed IE and now I cannot open hyperlinks in Outlook 2010

Discus and support Removed IE and now I cannot open hyperlinks in Outlook 2010 in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; I was reading an article today that stated there was a vulnerability that, even though IE was not your default browser, access could be gained by... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by moondoggy, Apr 18, 2019.

1. moondoggy Win User

Removed IE and now I cannot open hyperlinks in Outlook 2010

I was reading an article today that stated there was a vulnerability that, even though IE was not your default browser, access could be gained by clicking on a file of a particular file type associate with IE. Since Microsoft has been encouraging people to not use IE I thought the sensible thing to do was to remove IE from my Windows 10 PC. After doing this I now have a problem where clicking on any hyperlink in Outlook 2010 fails with the following message:This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. Please contact your system administrator.I searched the internet and the solutions said to change the HTM and HTML default classes in HKCU to be htmlfile in both default settings. The only problem there is that the defaults are already set to htmlfile. I thought it might be the default browser settings or the default browser settings for the file types were messed up but they were both indicated that my default browser is BRAVE. I even tried to change my default browser to EDGE but that didn't work either. Short of reinstalling IE is there a fix or a registry hack or hacks that I can deploy to restore the ability to click on a hyperlink and launch my default browser whatever that browser might be? I'm hoping that someone has also removed IE and has figured out a way to make hyperlinks work.Any help would be deeply appreciated.

:)

moondoggy, Apr 18, 2019
  2. Phil3 Win User

Cannot Open Hyperlinks Outlook 2010

I have scoured the Internet, tried a variety of things, but none have fixed an inability to open a hyperlink in Outlook 2010. I believe this started when I uninstalled Firefox and Adobe Acrobat Reader temporarily.

Upon clicking on a hyperlink in an e-mail in Outlook 2010, I get this error message.

"This operation has been canceled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. Please contact your system administrator".

Uninstalling, reinstalling, and changing default browsers (IE, Edge, Chrome, Firefox) does nothing. I am at wits end. ANY suggestions would be very welcome.

Notes: Opening hyperlinks from Outlook.com works fine. Outlook 2010 as in Office 2010 does not work.

Thank you.

Phil

Phil3, Apr 18, 2019
  3. amigadon Win User
    Outlook 2010 will not open hyperlinks in Windows 10, how do I fix this?

Outlook 2010 will not open hyperlinks in Firefox or Edge in Windows 10, how do I fix this?

amigadon, Apr 18, 2019
  4. Removed IE and now I cannot open hyperlinks in Outlook 2010

Getting Outlook 2010 to open on the Calender

So yea, is there a way of getting Outlook 2010 to open on the calender page and not the General page?

WhiteLotus, Apr 18, 2019
Thema:

Removed IE and now I cannot open hyperlinks in Outlook 2010

1. Removed IE and now I cannot open hyperlinks in Outlook 2010 - Similar Threads - Removed cannot open

2. Office 2010 on Windows 20H2 can't open Hyperlinks

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Office 2010 on Windows 20H2 can't open Hyperlinks: OS Build 19042.870. I get this message: File not found Firefox can’t find the file at /C:/Users/myname/AppData/Local/Microsoft/Windows/INetCache/IE/B8ZE1QP6/CIK7PFR9.htm. Whenever I try opening a hyperlink in Word, Excel or Powerpoint. Not sure what's wrong. I went here...
  3. Opening Outlook 2010

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Opening Outlook 2010: when I open outlook 2010 in windows 10 the install starts (already installed) it asks for a disk with mscomctfix on it, can't find it, so I cancel the process and it closes then open outlook anyway. Usually starts after a windows update. Tried to repair office 10 with the...
  4. SOLVED - cannot open hyperlinks in Outlook OR Word

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    SOLVED - cannot open hyperlinks in Outlook OR Word: My PC installed an update last week (but I cannot find it in the update list). Since then I can not open any hyperlinks regards of whether it is in Word or in an email (I use Office 2010 on Windows 10). This is the message I get: [ATTACH] [ATTACH] I have tried the...
  5. cannot open hyperlinks in Outlook OR Word

cannot open hyperlinks in Outlook OR Word: My PC installed an update last week (but I cannot find it in the update list). Since then I can not open any hyperlinks regards of whether it is in Word or in an email (I use Office 2010 on Windows 10). This is the message I get: [ATTACH] [ATTACH] I have tried the...
  6. 2010 Outlook cannot be opened anylonger in windows

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    2010 Outlook cannot be opened anylonger in windows: Help! After trying to open my deceased husbands Outlook pst data file and not having the password, I tried many times to change the password. At the time, I could open the Outlook app, open the folders and file section and try to navigate/change the settings. But suddenly, I...
  7. Outlook 2010 will not open

in Windows 10 Customization
    Outlook 2010 will not open: I get the following error message: "Cannot open your default email folders. Outlook cannot start because a data file to send and recieve message cannot be found. Check your settings in this Microsoft Outlook profile. In Microsoft Windows, click the Start button, and then...
  8. Hyperlinks in outlook will not open

Hyperlinks in outlook will not open: There seem to be many posts with problems in this area, but I have not seen an answer that I can understand and which seems to address my particular problem. i am using Windows 10 with Outlook 2013 and Firefox as my web browser. When i try to open hyperlinks I receive the...
  9. Outlook 2010 having issues with instant search and opening hyperlinks

in Browsers and Email
    Outlook 2010 having issues with instant search and opening hyperlinks: To start off with, when I initially upgraded to W10 everything in Outlook worked perfectly fine. I could both open hyperlinks to Firefox (my default) and get instant search results as I typed. However, about 3 days ago I went to search and I got the notification: "Instant...
  10. Cannot Open Hyperlinks Outlook 2010

in Browsers and Email
    Cannot Open Hyperlinks Outlook 2010: I have scoured the Internet, tried a variety of things, but none have fixed an inability to open a hyperlink in Outlook 2010. I believe this started when I uninstalled Firefox and Adobe Acrobat Reader temporarily. Upon clicking on a hyperlink in an e-mail in Outlook 2010,...