Windows 10: Removed mapped drive no longer showing in drive list for a new mapped drive.

Discus and support Removed mapped drive no longer showing in drive list for a new mapped drive. in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I had a mapped network drive that was showing as disconnected and I tried the CMD (Admin) command mountvol /r which removed the mapped drive but now... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by T_Perez, Feb 24, 2019.

1. T_Perez Win User

Removed mapped drive no longer showing in drive list for a new mapped drive.

I had a mapped network drive that was showing as disconnected and I tried the CMD (Admin) command mountvol /r which removed the mapped drive but now the drive that was causing the trouble no longer shows up in the list if drives I can mount. How do I get this drive back?

:)

T_Perez, Feb 24, 2019
  2. NDarkstar Win User

Mapped drives not showing up on Explorer

Wanted to mention that I'm experiencing this same issue. Environment here is a Windows Server 2012 R2 domain with network shares and printers mapped by GPO. GPO drive mappings are not on a per-user basis and instead are global for all users.

Affected user can not access mapped drives via explorer, yet NET USE shows drives mapped as expected. Attempting to remap network drives via explorer results in a prompt stating that the connection is already mapped to that drive letter, do I want to disconnect and reconnect it?

Oddly, using applications that provide an 'open document' dialogue can see and access mapped network drives normally. For example, open Word, file -> open -> browse: Left pane shows network shares, clicking on network share shows share contents. Clicking on 'This PC' shows all mapped drives which are navigable and documents can be opened normally. Doing this does not correct the issue with Explorer. Similarly, a command prompt also operates as expected, so it's possible to change to a mapped network drive by the associated letter and to list / copy / delete files normally.

Issue appears to be limited to a single user profile on the workstation displaying the described symptoms. Logging in as another user results in the drives being mapped and accessible as usual. Symptoms persist through reboot. User account with symptoms does not have admin access locally or on the domain.

NDarkstar, Feb 24, 2019
  3. dld44 Win User
    Mapped drives not showing up on Explorer

Huh?

Let me restate the problem, a bit more simply. Since at least Windows XP through Windows 8.1, using Windows Explorer you are able to open the Network View, expand a displayed computer, right click on a drive or folder that has been set up as shared under the displayed computer, select "Map Network Drive...", assign a drive letter using the "Drive" drop-down menu, select "Reconnect at logon", and !wow! you have a mapped network drive that shows up every time you start up your computer as long as that network drive is accessible on the network. You can do this also with Windows 10, just as with the earlier OS levels.

But with Windows 10, on my SP3, those mappings sometimes disappear from Windows Explorer after the SP3 is awakened from sleep. To get to them again with Windows Explorer as mapped network drives, I must repeat the mapping operation, just like in the paragraph above. But unlike with the original mapping, the drive assignments still show up like I had set them previously under the "Map Network Drive..." dialog in the list of drive letter possibilities that show up when the "Drive:" drop-down menu is expanded. (As an aside, this means that I don't have to remember the drive letter I had previously used when remapping them, which makes it a bit easier to do.)
    DaveD

dld44, Feb 24, 2019
  4. CraigS Win User

Work Mapped drives not working at home.

Hello All.

I have a user at work that has a laptop as her main work use (docking station at work, then takes it home to work at home).
    we have a list of mapped network drives that we use here, including a personal drive.

however when this user gets home or off the network, the personal drive seems to become inactive/go missing.

there are no USB drives that interfere with the network drives, and i am lost looking for solutions.

any suggestions/help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks.

CraigS, Feb 24, 2019
Thema:

1. Removed mapped drive no longer showing in drive list for a new mapped drive. - Similar Threads - Removed mapped drive

2. mapping a drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    mapping a drive: Hello, I need to map a drive for a public computer, The account on this computer does not have access to the drive. however, whoever uses the computer and double click the drive icon must enter their credentials every time. Thank you...
  3. mapping a drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    mapping a drive: Hello, I need to map a drive for a public computer, The account on this computer does not have access to the drive. however, whoever uses the computer and double click the drive icon must enter their credentials every time. Thank you...
  4. Mapped Drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Mapped Drive: Hi! I am trying to connect my Primary Windows 10 PC to my other Windows 10 PC. Windows is throwing this error when I try to connect to the primary PC. I've tried the primary username the secondary user name and added a separate user on the primary with another Outlook...
  5. mapping/mapped drives

mapping/mapped drives: I have a Windows 10 Pro fully updated computer that has three folders on a second drive not the boot drive. I created three usernames/passwords on this computer and gave rights to each user for each folder. When I go to any one of the computers 8-10 on the network workgroup I...
  6. removing a mapped network drive

removing a mapped network drive: How do you remove unused mapped network drives from being displayed under Network Locations in File Explorer? There is a function to disconnect them but not to remove them so have several drives listed that I no longer even have. Not sure if this belongs under storage or...
  7. mapping drives

mapping drives: a mapped fileon a nas does not appear in windows https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/mapping-drives/3a64c372-5ac3-48ff-a979-859635f00820"
  8. Mapped Drive

Mapped Drive: Hello, I have two mapped network drives, one is 1 tb, the other is 10tb. The issue is that when I go into This PC in the file explorer, windows shows that they have 87.7mb free of 92.9mb. This is true for all drives mapped, no matter the size or what is on them. This...
  9. Cannot remove "mapped" drive

Cannot remove "mapped" drive: This is a strange problem. I have two Win 10 Pro 1903 PCs on my home network. The first is a laptop named Bill4. The second is a desktop named Desktop2. Both are logged into my Microsoft account. On Desktop2 in File Explorer under This PC is an entry labeled C on Bill4....
  10. map drive

map drive: Desktop win 10 updates all done. My dlink DIR880L router has two WD usb drives attached. I need to map these drives. On file explorer- This PC the router shows but not the drives. A double click on the router gives me four folders, one is browse folders that will open to...