Windows 10: Removed myself from Administrative privileges and now I can't get it back (Windows 10)

Discus and support Removed myself from Administrative privileges and now I can't get it back (Windows 10) in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi, I have recently restored my Surface Book and everything seems to be working fine until I accidentally removed my user account as an administrator... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Hilal Al Barwani, Apr 7, 2019.

1. Removed myself from Administrative privileges and now I can't get it back (Windows 10)

Hi,

I have recently restored my Surface Book and everything seems to be working fine until I accidentally removed my user account as an administrator account through the local group policy editor. It is now a standard user and the issue is it is the only account present in the PC, and I am locked now to doing any commands. I have tried all possible ways I know and I even searched for password reset tools.

Please any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Hilal

:)

Hilal Al Barwani, Apr 7, 2019

2. Windows 10 PC not recognizing administrator privileges.

Hi Jade,

Damages within the components of your user profile can be one of the possible reasons why you are experiencing an issue with using its administrator privileges. To troubleshoot this concern, we suggest creating a new admin user profile. To be able to create
    a new administrator user profile, you would need to enable the built-in administrator in your Windows 10 device.

To enable the built-in administrator account, follow these steps:

• Using Search type CMD to open the Command Prompt. Right click on CMD then choose Run as administrator. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Yes.
    • In the Command Prompt window, type net user administrator /active:yes and then hit the Enter key.
    • You should see a message that the command completed successfully. Log out the user profile you are currently using, and you’ll now see the Administrator account as a choice on the login screen.
    • Using the built-in administrator account, create a new admin user profile.
    • Check if the same issue persists.

Note: The built-in administrator account has more privileges than a regular administrator account. Privileges that can easily generate a conflict on your system. We only recommend enabling the built-in administrator account for troubleshooting purposes and
    you have to disable it once you are done.

To disable the built-in administrator account, access the Command Prompt with administrator privileges. Type the command
    net user administrator /active:no and then hit the Enter key. The built-in administrator account will now be disabled, and shouldn’t show up on the login screen.

Update us with the results.

Darleen Pen, Apr 7, 2019
  3. Dell Touchpad uninstall administrator privileges

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. We appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

From the description of the issue, I understand that you are unable to uninstall drivers from Device Manager as it prompts saying log-in with administrator privileges, we will help you to resolve this issue.

I would recommend you to see if you are logged in administrator account, if not then enable it. Please follow the below steps to enable:

Step 1: I would suggest you to enable the built-in administrator account.

You need to run the command from an elevated command prompt. To do that follow the below steps:

• Press the Windows key + R from the keyboard to open the
      Run Command Dialog Box.

• Type cmd and right-click on the
      Command Prompt
      result that should appear.

• This opens a list of options at the bottom. Select
      Run as administrator

• Accept the UAC (User Account Control) prompt.

• Enter the following command to enable the hidden administrator account:
      net user administrator /active:yes

Hope it helps. Feel free to contact us for any assistance on Windows Operating System, we will be happy to help you.

Deepika Gowda, Apr 7, 2019
  4. Removed myself from Administrative privileges and now I can't get it back (Windows 10)

Error: "You need administrator privileges to make the changes" on Windows 10

Hi Dennis,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community and being part of Windows 10.

I understand your concern about administrator privileges to your user account. We will help you with this issue.

Do let us know the following to assist you better with this issue:

• How exactly have you tried to change the user account to administrator?
    • Have you logged in as an administrator using Microsoft account on your device?
    • Have you enabled Built-in administrator account?

Try the below steps if not yet tried and check if it helps.

I suggest you to check the user account and their types on your device.

• Press Windows + R key together on your desktop screen.
    • Type netplwiz and hit
      Enter.
    • Check if there are any other user accounts on your device as an administrator.

Step 1: If you have an account with administrative privileges login through that account and try the following steps to change the user account type:

• Press Windows + R keys from the Keyboard.
    • Type netplwiz and click on Ok.
    • Click on the Users tab.
    • Under Users of this computer: select the account you want to change.
    • Click on Properties button.
    • Select Group Membership tab and select the type of user account.
    • Click on Apply and Ok.

Step 2: If you are a local user, I suggest you to convert the local account to Microsoft account and check if it helps.

Follow:

• Make sure you are device is connected to internet.
    • Click Start and then Settings.
    • Click Accounts and click on
      Sign in with a Microsoft account instead
    • Follow onscreen instructions.

Hope it helps. Reply to the post with an updated status of this issue for further assistance.

Deepika Gowda, Apr 7, 2019
Thema:

Removed myself from Administrative privileges and now I can't get it back (Windows 10)

1. Removed myself from Administrative privileges and now I can't get it back (Windows 10) - Similar Threads - Removed myself Administrative

2. I can't set myself back to administrator

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I can't set myself back to administrator: I was trying to get a program to work and accidently changed my account from administrator to normal user, and now I can't change it back to the administrator and it keeps saying I need to contact the administrator to fix it, but I am the only user of the computer. What can I...
  3. I can't set myself back to administrator

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I can't set myself back to administrator: I was trying to get a program to work and accidently changed my account from administrator to normal user, and now I can't change it back to the administrator and it keeps saying I need to contact the administrator to fix it, but I am the only user of the computer. What can I...
  4. How do I get administrator privileges back?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I get administrator privileges back?: Right now the only administrator account on my windows 11 laptop is the built-in one. I need to get my administrator privileges back but can't find a way to do so. How would I be able to get administrator privileges back? Or how could I get my built-in administrator password...
  5. How do I get administrator privileges back?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I get administrator privileges back?: Right now the only administrator account on my windows 11 laptop is the built-in one. I need to get my administrator privileges back but can't find a way to do so. How would I be able to get administrator privileges back? Or how could I get my built-in administrator password...
  6. Took my administrative privileges on accident and now I can't get them back.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Took my administrative privileges on accident and now I can't get them back.: I have tried to reset windows completely, can't do it without admin permissions. The only account on the laptop is my current account. I've tried doing net user administrator /active:yes but just get "Access is denied". Can't use any administrator apps, can't partition my USB...
  7. Removing Myself From Account Administrator

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Removing Myself From Account Administrator: Purchased new laptop for my granddaughter on her birthday. Tried to surprise her by loading my Office & Webroot on the new laptop. Surprised myself instead! Now her laptop looks just like mine, all the way to the background image. How do I remove myself from the account...
  8. I have lost administrative privileges. There is no way for me to get them back. Now what?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    I have lost administrative privileges. There is no way for me to get them back. Now what?: No admin access. Don't know why. Can not perform ANY admin function including running the dumb iso download tool. Why can't I just download the iso? I can not create users. Really, I can not do anything. I can not uninstall applications. I can not run commands in a...
  9. How to remove myself as administrator on Windows 10 account

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to remove myself as administrator on Windows 10 account: Hello, I am working as a temp at a company where when I signed onto Edge, I all of a sudden became administrator to this windows account. I don't know how it happened. I need to remove my personal account from this computer and am having an awful time doing so. Edge and...
  10. Installed Windows 10 now can not get administrative privileges

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Installed Windows 10 now can not get administrative privileges: I new help updated to windows 10 from windows 7 get message you are not administrator enter password but nowhere to enter password I am blocked from making any changes can't even reinstall windows I did do the reboot with the shift key and restart key tried choose different...