Windows 10: Removed recovery partition - disk became invalid

Discus and support Removed recovery partition - disk became invalid in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I'm in panic mode right now. I have a 2TB HDD that I moved from my old PC. It had 2 partitions, one for OS (Win10) and one for my stuff. New system's... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/FacticiousFict, Sep 11, 2020.

1. Removed recovery partition - disk became invalid

I'm in panic mode right now. I have a 2TB HDD that I moved from my old PC. It had 2 partitions, one for OS (Win10) and one for my stuff.

New system's OS (also Win10) is on SSD so I wanted to merge the 2 partitions on my HDD to get some of that sweet extra space. Turns out the partitions are separated by a Recovery partition. Windows Disk Management won't let me remove that partition (or the other 2 recovery partitions on the same drive). I managed to remove it using DiskGenius (mistake!) and now the drive appears as "Dynamic" and "invalid" and it's not accessible anymore.

Windows Disk management gives me the option of changing the drive from dynamic to basic but says it will delete everything.

I have years of data on the drive. When I'm done banging my head on my desk, I'd like to try and recover the drive. Is there any idiot-proof way to do it?

submitted by /u/FacticiousFict
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/FacticiousFict, Sep 11, 2020
  2. Anusha Win User

How To: Create recovery partition.

it worked when i copied all the files of the disk to the recovery partition i created, but i had to use WinPE tab to add the entry.

Type: WIM Image (Ramdisk)
    Name: Recovery
    Path: Z:\Sources\boot.wim
    and hit Add Entry
    I tried it in VirtualBox and it worked.
    At first, it would add a second "Windows 7" entry to the list, but when the installation is finished, the old one is deleted. (I formatted only C: partition)

Anusha, Sep 11, 2020
  3. trickson Win User
    Will deleting the factory partition render the recovery disk useless?

More than likely it is of no use NOW . The recovery disk is nothing more than drivers and some BS . You will not get the OS and recovering from a recovery disk only works if the drive partition is fine and has been untouched by any one .
    The best thing to do is delete all the partitions and just install windows on the HDD make your own recovery disk and your done not to mention you get all that drive space back .

trickson, Sep 11, 2020
  4. RyoTakagi Win User

Removed recovery partition - disk became invalid

Lost recovery partition

Hello, I see that you are having issues with recovery partition. I would suggest you using the diskpart command in the command prompt. First, open up the comand prompt as an administrator, then type in diskpart. Now, type in list disk, and look for the
    recovery partition drive. Follow the steps in the link below:

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-clean-and-fo...

Hope this helps, and let me know if you have further questions! Removed recovery partition - disk became invalid :)

RyoTakagi, Sep 11, 2020
Thema:

Removed recovery partition - disk became invalid

1. Removed recovery partition - disk became invalid - Similar Threads - Removed recovery partition

2. Recovery Disk partitions

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Recovery Disk partitions: HiI have, in order, Partition 1 400 Mb - recovery partitionPartition 2 100 Mb - efi parttionWindows C: 182.35 Gb - Basic data partitionPartition 5 1.01 Gb - recovery partitionData D: 292.97 GbI have established that Partition 5 is the active recovery partition.Currently even...
  3. Recovery Disk partitions

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Recovery Disk partitions: HiI have, in order, Partition 1 400 Mb - recovery partitionPartition 2 100 Mb - efi parttionWindows C: 182.35 Gb - Basic data partitionPartition 5 1.01 Gb - recovery partitionData D: 292.97 GbI have established that Partition 5 is the active recovery partition.Currently even...
  4. Creating Recovery Disk on a HDD partition

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Creating Recovery Disk on a HDD partition: Hello,If I have a HDD and I create a small partition on it like 10GB partition and create a recovery disk on this partition. Will it format my entire hard disk or just the 10GB partition?...
  5. Recovery Partition not showing as such in disk management

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Recovery Partition not showing as such in disk management: In the screenshot below, you can see the highlighted partition on Disk 0 is not showing as a healthy recovery partition and is not shown listed above. This is a cloned Windows 10 installation taken from Disk 1 now labeled storage.However, in diskpart, disk 0, partition 4 of...
  6. Safe procedure to Remove Old Recovery Partition at beginning of Disk

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Safe procedure to Remove Old Recovery Partition at beginning of Disk: What is the best procedure (ideally without 3d party Soft) to remove an old, unused Recovery Partition which sits at the beginning of the Disk and then move the rest of the existing partitions left to the beginning of the disk. Winver 20H2 19042.630 [img] 169361
  7. Recovery Partition in the same Disk with the Primary Partition

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Recovery Partition in the same Disk with the Primary Partition: Hi... I noticed that my Recovery Partition is in the same Disk with my Primary Partition. is it gonna cause me a problem if i try to reset my laptop? I think it was supposed to be in a different Disk Partition. . [ATTACH]...
  8. Multiple Recovery Partitions on my disk + Remove deprecated OS installation

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Multiple Recovery Partitions on my disk + Remove deprecated OS installation: Issue 1: I had purchased a Windows 8 installation with my Dell laptop, i upgraded it to windows 8.1, and later to windows 10 when it was initially released. But at that time, it was riddled with bugs, so i reverted back to windows 8 and continued to use 8 without any...
  9. Unformatted disk-Partition recovery

in Windows 10 Support
    Unformatted disk-Partition recovery: So I screwed up. One of my drives that has all my music in it is showing as unformatted and I cannot access it now. There’s a lot of software out there but does anyone know of a program that will recover the partition back to the way it was? I have 300 GB of music in...
  10. Remove Recovery Partition

in Windows 10 Support
    Remove Recovery Partition: I just upgraded to version 1511. It recreated the 450 mb recovery partition I don't want and I don't need it!! Is there a way to remove it without doing a clean install of Windows am use diskpart? James 43883