Windows 10: REMOVING A C/USER PROFILE FROM SECONDHAND LAPTOP WHEN YOU ONLY HAVE A LOCAL LOGIN - IS IT...

Discus and support REMOVING A C/USER PROFILE FROM SECONDHAND LAPTOP WHEN YOU ONLY HAVE A LOCAL LOGIN - IS IT... in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hello, those who know. I've bought a secondhand laptop running Windows 10 and, despite thinking he'd deleted everything from his laptop, the seller... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by OrganisedWoman, Feb 16, 2021.

1. REMOVING A C/USER PROFILE FROM SECONDHAND LAPTOP WHEN YOU ONLY HAVE A LOCAL LOGIN - IS IT...

Hello, those who know. I've bought a secondhand laptop running Windows 10 and, despite thinking he'd deleted everything from his laptop, the seller still has a C/User profile. I currently am using a Local profile as the laptop is destined for someone else and I am trying to set it up with the basics so I haven't signed in with a M/soft account. However, I cannot remove the C/User profile of the former owner. Perhaps because I am using a local login, when I click on Family & other users, his profile does not show up. Will I have to sign in with a M/soft account to get to see, in Family & other users, this former owner's profile? I don't want to factory reset if possible, and I can go back to the original owner and ask him to sign in again and remove himself I would guess. Is the latter my only option? Sorry if this sounds really dumb, I'm just unfamiliar with PCs and have been trying to do a good turn for someone who's not tech savvy at all.

:)

OrganisedWoman, Feb 16, 2021
  2. Anne Ros Win User

'Lost' user profile after System File Cheker.

Hi,

This might happen if the profile was corrupted. We'd like to have some clarifications so we can provide a suitable solution to help you resolve the issue. Can you answer the questions below?

• Is it the local administrator account or the Microsoft account?
    • Are you logged in to your PC using the account that's missing in the laptop?
    • What account are you using to login to the laptop?

As an initial troubleshooting step, we suggest that youcreate a new local administrator
    account
    that you can use to login to your laptop, as it is possible that the profile was corrupted that's why it was removed when you run the SFC scan.

We'll be waiting for your response.

Anne Ros, Feb 16, 2021
  3. deving Win User
    User.000 issue after updating to 1909

I'm one of the many people suffering from issues with user profiles after applying Update 1909 to Windows 10. I've read all the threads I can find on the topic here and have followed the suggestions, all to no avail. Any other thoughts are appreciated.

After applying Update 1909, the ProfileImagePath was changed to c:\users\User.000
    One file that was always in use and couldn't be removed was left in c:\users\User (can't recall or find the exact file now), so I could never rename or remove the c:\user\User directory.

I followed the multiple suggestions from Brink and others:
    • Rebooted at least 6 times
    • Enabled hidden Administrator
    • Booted into Safe Mode
    • Changed ProfileImagePath
    • Tried to rename c:\users\User but couldn't because a file was still in use
    • Copied all data from c:\users\User.000 into c:\users\User
    • Rebooted and had temporary profile
    • Followed steps in Brink tutorial to change ImageProfilePath; rebooted with no change
    • Restored using Restore Point from before Update 1909 - returned to single profile state (User.000)
    • Removed each update that was installed individually and rebooted after each update removal - profile state never changed
    • After all updates were removed, repeated the steps above with hidden Administrator, changing profile, etc. - same issue with file in use in c:\users\User
    • Followed all steps above with hidden Administrator but without copying files from User.000 to User - same results

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

deving, Feb 16, 2021
  4. REMOVING A C/USER PROFILE FROM SECONDHAND LAPTOP WHEN YOU ONLY HAVE A LOCAL LOGIN - IS IT...

After entering password it’s user profile login failed

Hi Vicki Longnecker,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

In order to get clarity on this issue and assist you with appropriate troubleshooting steps, please reply with the answers to the questions below.

• What is the complete error message that you get when you try to login to your computer?
    • Are you aware of any changes made to this computer prior to the issue?
    • Do you have any other administrator user account on the computer?
    • Are you using a Microsoft account or a local account?

Also, you can try launching the On-Screen Keyboard from the sign-in screen by selecting the
    Ease of Access button in the lower-right corner of the sign-in screen, and then select
    On-Screen Keyboard. Type the password using the On-Screen Keyboard and check if you are able to login to your computer.

I have gone through your post and it appears that this issue could be due to a
    user profile corruption or an existence of a temporary profile. In order to get clarity on this issue, I would suggest you to follow the steps below.

I suggest you to first Start your PC in Safe Mode and check if you are able to login to your computer.

If you are able to login to your user account in Safe Mode, then go to
    This PC
    > Double-click on the C: drive (drive where Operating System is installed) >
    Users folder. In the Users folder, check for any profiles with an unusual name or if there is a profile named as Temp and please reply us with the result.

We’ll be waiting for your response.

Shafeeq_Khan, Feb 16, 2021
Thema:

REMOVING A C/USER PROFILE FROM SECONDHAND LAPTOP WHEN YOU ONLY HAVE A LOCAL LOGIN - IS IT...

1. REMOVING A C/USER PROFILE FROM SECONDHAND LAPTOP WHEN YOU ONLY HAVE A LOCAL LOGIN - IS IT... - Similar Threads - REMOVING USER PROFILE

2. How to remove an Azure Login on Windows and replace with Local User Login?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to remove an Azure Login on Windows and replace with Local User Login?: I setup a new computer.I was forced to use a Windows ID to setup the computer so I used my work Exchange email.Now the computer is setup, but for some reason the computer is linked to some Azure ID which I have no idea what that is.I do not want my computer to be locked via...
  3. How to remove an Azure Login on Windows and replace with Local User Login?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to remove an Azure Login on Windows and replace with Local User Login?: I setup a new computer.I was forced to use a Windows ID to setup the computer so I used my work Exchange email.Now the computer is setup, but for some reason the computer is linked to some Azure ID which I have no idea what that is.I do not want my computer to be locked via...
  4. How to Remove Win 10 from domain and make domain user profile into a local user profile?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to Remove Win 10 from domain and make domain user profile into a local user profile?: Hi, I have an environment with 10 clients that run Windows 10 Pro and I have a Synology DS918+ that runs as a Domain ControllerSynology Directory Server just as Active Directory. The clients have been joined to the domain and there exists domain users that have and use...
  5. User profile missing from login screen

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    User profile missing from login screen: I cant log in to my main user profile. Previously I had an issue where I was getting notifications saying to set up Windows Hello, although I already had a pin, and when I tried to create a pin, it would ask for my pin to verify identity then the window would just close....
  6. remove picture of local administrator acount/user profile

in Windows 10 Customization
    remove picture of local administrator acount/user profile: Hello.The lost month i am using the laptop of my brother.He is using it as local administrator and his profile it has not any picture.A few days ago i connect my microsoft account to it's windows 10 calendar & mail app.And suddenly my...
  7. A User located in C:\User doesn't appear under Local Users and Groups or at Login

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    A User located in C:\User doesn't appear under Local Users and Groups or at Login: I have a User Profile that appears under C:\Users, but doesn't show up under the Computer Management Local; Local Users and Groups; Users, or as an option at the Login Screen. How do I enable it?...
  8. Appdata\local\pagkages preventing user profile removal?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Appdata\local\pagkages preventing user profile removal?: My conference room computers need the user profiles purged ever few weeks. It used work fine but now I receive an error stating that not all data has been removed. Whenever I look the only thing still hanging out is the appdata\local\packages folder, which will have 1 or 2...
  9. Unknown User profile on my Local Hard drive or C:/Users/gudcorna? Who is this User?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Unknown User profile on my Local Hard drive or C:/Users/gudcorna? Who is this User?: How do I get rid of said User? Cannot find a way to remove for good? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unknown-user-profile-on-my-local-hard-drive-or/a0e9c273-8eae-4ed4-9485-1815a306264e"
  10. Removing/renaming a user profile folder in C:\Users?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Removing/renaming a user profile folder in C:\Users?: Just joined this forum recently, so this is my first post. Anyways, I've been looking online for a method to simply delete the folder of an old user profile in C:\Users. I have yet to come across a successful method. The message that appears when I try to delete the folder is...