Windows 10: Removing a Child from Microsoft Family

Discus and support Removing a Child from Microsoft Family in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Hello Microsoft Community, My parents wanted to change my account from child to adult status and it seems that there is no way to do this without... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by Lee_Brown_21, Mar 21, 2019.

1. Removing a Child from Microsoft Family

Hello Microsoft Community,

My parents wanted to change my account from child to adult status and it seems that there is no way to do this without removing the child from the family and re-adding them as an adult. My account, the one that they are trying to change, is used to log into a specific user sign-in on our Dell PC. The specific file location for this account, "C:\Users\[my account name]\", contains important files that I do not want to lose. Therefore, if my parents were to remove me as a child, would the files I have under my Microsoft account on that computer be affected and/or deleted? Removing me as a child will not delete my account or the computer sign-in, right?

Thank you,

Lee

:)

Lee_Brown_21, Mar 21, 2019

2. How do I permanently remove a child from the Microsoft family feature?

Hi,

If you're sharing a Windows 10 device with your child, letting them sign in with their own accounts will give them the freedom to explore safely while you're still able to set up appropriate age restrictions and time limits, and make sure they're not visiting
    any websites or using any apps or games that aren't right for them. Now, if you opt to permanently remove a child account from the Microsoft family features, you can follow these steps:

• As an adult in the family, sign in to
      account.microsoft.com/family
      with your Microsoft account on any PC or device.
    • Open Settings in Windows 10, click Accounts, and select
      Family & other users, then click Manage family settings online.
    • Click Remove under Your family tab, and select the child account that you want to remove, and click
      Remove again.
    • After that, you will get an email confirming that the child has been removed from the family.

Let us know if you have other concerns. Feel free to post back.

Marque Lor, Mar 21, 2019
  3. Junaid_A Win User
    Microsoft Family Screen Time

Hi Laurel,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community forum.

This could happen when the child account fails to sync with the server. I suggest you to try the steps listed below and check if it works:

• Open
      File Explorer
      and navigate to the following location:
    • C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Parental Controls

Note:
      The above mentioned directory is hidden, copy and paste the same location on the search bar in the File Explorer to access it.
    • Delete the contents in the
      \\settings
      directory of the Parental Controls folder.
    • Reboot the machine to see if the issue persists.

If the issue persists, you may want to remove the child account from Microsoft family and add it again.

• To know how to remove an account from Microsoft Family, refer:

Remove members from your family group
    • To know how to add an account to Microsoft Family, refer:

Add members to your family group

Regards,

Junaid_A, Mar 21, 2019
  4. Removing a Child from Microsoft Family

How do I remove my son from his friend's Microsoft Family?

Hi Brett,

Follow the steps below on how you can remove the child account from the Family:

• Using the child account, sign in at https://account.microsoft.com/family.
    • Click on Remove yourself under the child account.
    • Click Remove to confirm.
    • You will get an email confirmation that you have been removed from the family.
    Click on this link for steps on how to add the child account to your family.

Looking forward to your response.

Radney Dri, Mar 21, 2019
Thema:

Removing a Child from Microsoft Family

1. Removing a Child from Microsoft Family - Similar Threads - Removing Child Microsoft

2. Microsoft Family Safety removing a child

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Microsoft Family Safety removing a child: My daughter is now a lot older and so if I remove her from Microsoft Family Safety does this remove her account from the PC ?I just want to remove the Microsoft Family Safety control but allow her to access the computer as normal. She has a lot of school work that I do not...
  3. Unable to remove child account from Microsoft Family

Unable to remove child account from Microsoft Family: I have a Microsoft Family setup with myself, my wife, and two accounts for our son. When I try to remove the account *** Email address is removed for privacy *** from the family I get an error telling me to try the other parent account to remove the child account. So I signed...
  4. Unable to remove child account from Microsoft Family

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to remove child account from Microsoft Family: I have a Microsoft Family setup with myself, my wife, and two accounts for our son. When I try to remove the account *** Email address is removed for privacy *** from the family I get an error telling me to try the other parent account to remove the child account. So I signed...
  5. Unable to remove child account from Microsoft Family

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. child removed from family group

in Windows 10 Gaming
    child removed from family group: My son and I both got an email from MS saying, "You were removed from your family group" in my case, "your child was removed". Neither of us did anything to remove him from the group. There is no explanation from Microsoft. Any idea why this happened?My concern is the someone...
  7. child removed from family group

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    child removed from family group: My son and I both got an email from MS saying, "You were removed from your family group" in my case, "your child was removed". Neither of us did anything to remove him from the group. There is no explanation from Microsoft. Any idea why this happened?My concern is the someone...
  8. how to remove a child from a family!

how to remove a child from a family!: Hello, I have A problem with Family safety.I want to remove a child from the family to reorganise it the objective, is to have both children in the same family and I manage two with different accounts.Thus, I tried everything but don't find the remove as for adult, nor in my...
  9. Microsoft Family - how to prevent child from removing

Microsoft Family - how to prevent child from removing: My child is able to remove themselves from our Microsoft Family monitoring making the restrictions we set useless. Is there a way to prevent? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/microsoft-family-how-to-prevent-child-from/c3b43da6-ee69-4a65-978d-cd05236b2fe5
  10. Microsoft Family - Child can remove themselves from the family

Microsoft Family - Child can remove themselves from the family: I have setup Microsoft Family with my children added as child accounts. My children can login to their accounts at family.microsoft.com and simply click the link "Leave family group" and they are removed from the group and from any screen time limits etc. This seems like a...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. remove child consent microsoft account