Windows 10: Removing a file from my desktop

Discus and support Removing a file from my desktop in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; a file has shown up on my desktop and it cannot be removed. file:///C:/Users/artte/OneDrive/Desktop/BETTEM~1.PDF Have no idea how it got there and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by ArthurTepfer, Oct 20, 2019.

1. Removing a file from my desktop

a file has shown up on my desktop and it cannot be removed.

file:///C:/Users/artte/OneDrive/Desktop/BETTEM~1.PDF

Have no idea how it got there and unable to remove it. Any help appreciated

:)

ArthurTepfer, Oct 20, 2019
  2. MohanC Win User

windows 10 deleted my desktop files

Step 1 - I upgraded to Win 10 and lost all my files on Desktop.

Step 2 - Found the files in Network - USers- Desktop

copied all files again to desktop.

Step 3- Restarted my machine again and lost desktop files again.

Step 4 - As suggested did the following as listed below but dont find my files.

• Press “Windows + E”, open This PC/Computer
    • Open Local Disc C, open Windows.old
    • Click on Users, select your User name
    • Go to desktop folder
    Cant find my files. Why is Win 10 deleted files again and again from Desktop ?.

MohanC, Oct 20, 2019
  3. Vesao Win User
    Remove account

I suggest you backup your personalized files first before removing the account.
    To delete an account, follow these steps:
    1. Press WIN + X keys and click Command Prompt (Admin) from the menu.
    2. Type the following command and press Enter. Replace test with the name of your sister's account. Code:
      Code:
      net user test /del

Vesao, Oct 20, 2019
  4. slozomby Win User

Removing a file from my desktop

Recent File List

Remove-ItemProperty -Path "Registry::HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file1

Remove-ItemProperty -Path "Registry::HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file2
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file3
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file4
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file5
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file6
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file7
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file8
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file9

you get the idea. ( too lazy to put it in a for loop and test it.

or just open regedit and remove all the fileX from that key.

slozomby, Oct 20, 2019
Thema:

Removing a file from my desktop

1. Removing a file from my desktop - Similar Threads - Removing file desktop

2. Remove something from desktop -

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Remove something from desktop -: Hello -I'm new to windows 11 and a new computer and have no idea how I got this on my desktop - but for the life of me I can't remove it.Any help would be greatly appreciated - Thank You* Moved from Community Center...
  3. Remove something from desktop -

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Remove something from desktop -: Hello -I'm new to windows 11 and a new computer and have no idea how I got this on my desktop - but for the life of me I can't remove it.Any help would be greatly appreciated - Thank You* Moved from Community Center...
  4. Files removed from desktop after OneDrive synch

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Files removed from desktop after OneDrive synch: Hello, I am using Windows 11 laptop from Thinkpad.I had 2 documents from the notes app on my desktop, OneDrive then synchs and those 2 documents are not there anymore. I checked my trashcan and OneDrive trashcan and personal vault. After OneDrive synched my files were...
  5. Files removed from desktop after OneDrive synch

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Files removed from desktop after OneDrive synch: Hello, I am using Windows 11 laptop from Thinkpad.I had 2 documents from the notes app on my desktop, OneDrive then synchs and those 2 documents are not there anymore. I checked my trashcan and OneDrive trashcan and personal vault. After OneDrive synched my files were...
  6. OneDrive removing my desktop files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    OneDrive removing my desktop files: Hello, somehow most of my pc's desktop is synced to OneDrive and the icons have a green check mark. I just got a new laptop and when I set it up I noticed that those same icons from my pc is now showing on my laptop. I tried to un-sync the desktop folder but then it just...
  7. need to remove files from desktop

need to remove files from desktop: hi! i need help...i was messing around and accidentally adding almost a thousand files to my desktop, now i can get rid of them without deleting them, and i need the files becuz their important, i also cant go through them individually because they some of them grouped...
  8. remove desktop from OneDrive

remove desktop from OneDrive: hey. i don't know how to remove Desktop from my OneDrive in PC. please help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/remove-desktop-from-onedrive/9799dcdb-6416-4cd1-9f11-c5bf2342cbf4
  9. How do I deal with a file that can not be removed from my desktop?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How do I deal with a file that can not be removed from my desktop?: I'm trying to remove a folder on my desktop that contains what appears to be internet explorer applications. However, every time I try to move or delete the folder I get a message saying that I do not have administrative control to do so. I've tried changing ownership to...
  10. Remove Desktop and Other Folders From File Explorer?

in Windows 10 Support
    Remove Desktop and Other Folders From File Explorer?: [img] I was wondering/can't figure out if I can hide the desktop library and other things from the file explorer. Is it possible? Thanks! 27568