Windows 10: Removing a user from an old computer

Discus and support Removing a user from an old computer in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; "delete the Microsoft Account and make the other account as administrator." If I delete the Microsoft Account, my wife can't use her new computer... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by BobGeezer2, Jun 20, 2020.

1. Removing a user from an old computer

"delete the Microsoft Account and make the other account as administrator."

If I delete the Microsoft Account, my wife can't use her new computer without a Microsoft Account, right?

How do I give her old windows computer to someone else while moving everything form her old one to her new one?

:)

BobGeezer2, Jun 20, 2020

2. Unable to remove old administrator account.

Hello,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that you want to delete one of the old administrator accounts from your computer. If you want to save the data from the old Administrator account, I would suggest you to copy the data from the old user account from
    C: Users\<Old User Account> and move it to your backup drive or folder in a different location, before deleting the account.

I would also like to know what exactly happens when you try to remove the old Administrator account from your PC.

To delete an Administrator account from your PC, you will have to login to another user account with
    Administrator access as User Accounts cannot be deleted through a Standard account.

Once you have logged into your new Administrator account, you can follow the steps mentioned below to remove the old Administrator account from your PC. To do this, by

1. Login to the new Admin User Account that you want to keep.
    2. Tap on 'Windows + I' on the keyboard.
    3. Click on 'Accounts'.
    4. Now click on 'Family & other users'.
    5. Select the old Administrator account from the list.
    6. Click on 'Remove'.

Let us know if you face any issues, and we will certainly assist you further.

Hope it helps.

Sandeep Kumar M

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Sandeep_KM, Jun 20, 2020
  3. Nikhar_K Win User
    Old user account with Microsoft account reappeared on the computer

Hi Graham,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

It is very unusual that the old profile has reappeared on the computer.

Ideally, the old profile will only reappear if System Restore has been performed on the computer. We would like to if you are aware of any changes made to the computer.

As you have mentioned that your Microsoft account is linked to your old profile, I would suggest you to convert the Microsoft account to a local account by following the steps mentioned below:

1. Login to the old account.
    2. Press Windows Logo key + I, to open
      Settings.
    3. Click on Accounts and select
      Your info
      from the left pane.
    4. Click on Sign in with a local account instead.
    5. Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the process.

After converting the account to a local account, if you wish to delete the account, refer the steps mentioned below:

1. Login to the newly created account.
    2. Press Windows Logo key + R, to open
      Run dialog box.
    3. Type control and click on
      OK
    4. Select Large icons from the drop down for
      View by.
    5. Now, click on User Accounts.
    6. Click on Manage another account and select the user account that you want to remove.
    7. Click on Delete the account and select
      Keep Files (if you want to keep the files of the user account) else select Delete
      to remove the account.

After deleting the old user account, to convert the new user account to a Microsoft account, go to
    Settings (Windows Logo key + I) >> Accounts >>
    Your info
    >> click on Sign in with a Microsoft account and follow the on-screen instructions.

I hope the information provided by me is helpful for you.

Let us know if you need any further assistance, we will be glad to help you further.

Regards,

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Jun 20, 2020
  4. Removing a user from an old computer

Removing a "hidden" user and user files

Thanks for your patience. I was able with "Net User" to remove the left over user. It no longer appears when I invoke Net User.

Now for the user's folder which remains behind. After performing the series of steps that you suggested, I attempted to delete this folder. The result again was an error message about permission
    Removing a user from an old computer 1579d3b5-d6d3-4481-ad8c-0dae5f689a1a.jpg

"Administrators" appears on the list in the list of advanced security.

RobertOBollinger, Jun 20, 2020
Thema:

Removing a user from an old computer

1. Removing a user from an old computer - Similar Threads - Removing user old

2. Remove Appx Applications from old user profiles

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Remove Appx Applications from old user profiles: Hi,I am hoping someone can help me with this issue. Surely there is a way to do it, surely Microsoft would consider the implications of old Appx Applications being left on a system. So here is the problem. A user signs into a PC and uses it for a short time, say 4 months ago....
  3. Remove Appx Applications from old user profiles

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Remove Appx Applications from old user profiles: Hi,I am hoping someone can help me with this issue. Surely there is a way to do it, surely Microsoft would consider the implications of old Appx Applications being left on a system. So here is the problem. A user signs into a PC and uses it for a short time, say 4 months ago....
  4. Remove Appx Applications from old user profiles

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. Removing an old user folder

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Removing an old user folder: Hi all, I had to re-install Windows 10 & it created a username folder "roysq" My old one was "roysquires" I have managed to create a new one, but cannot delete the old one "roysqu." If I delete the folder it just returns. I have tried Regedit / HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINNE >...
  6. remove old computers from network

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    remove old computers from network: Hi, I followed some suggestions about removing old computers from my network but without success. I would know the reason why windows is displaying computer names that have been deleted years ! ago. Why I'm not able to delete them? Is it available a method without resetting...
  7. remove user from computer

remove user from computer: How do I remove a user from my laptop? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/remove-user-from-computer/203eef03-19d1-46bd-a0fd-d4ef73748a96
  8. Removing user from computer

Removing user from computer: I'm trying to remove my daughter as a user on my laptop. I have followed the instructions given by Microsoft, but when I get to her account, there is no "remove" option-only a "block" option. How do I remove her from this computer (I am the administrator)...
  9. Removal Of old user

Removal Of old user: [img] When i try to remove this old user I get this but no indications how to do it all help great fully appreciated 133445
  10. Removal Of old user

in Windows 10 Support
    Removal Of old user: [img] When i try to remove this old user I get this but no indications how to do it all help great fully appreciated 133445