Windows 10: Removing "Account Unknown" from all permissions

Discus and support Removing "Account Unknown" from all permissions in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I would like to clean up the permissions across my new Windows 11 build. There are a number of "Account Unknown" in the properties under the Security... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by GaryMeer, Nov 11, 2021.

1. GaryMeer Win User

Removing "Account Unknown" from all permissions

I would like to clean up the permissions across my new Windows 11 build. There are a number of "Account Unknown" in the properties under the Security tab for a great number of items. These permissions can not be deleted or modified in any way, even though I am the administrator. I have tried running as the administrator, and it does not make any difference. By eliminating these zombie account entries, I am hoping my system will behave a little better.

:)

GaryMeer, Nov 11, 2021
  2. borgus Win User

Unknown account removal

In a 'permissions' dialog an attempt to remove an UNKNOWN ACCOUNT prompts that inheritance first must be disabled. Two options are offered...

1) Convert inherited permissions to explicit permissions on this object
    2) Remove all inherited permissions from the object

Which should be chosen, and will other accounts be affected? Or, would it be prudent to ignore the unknown account?

This is an "Sxxx" account and does not appear in the USERS account list, nor with other normal registry accounts.

borgus, Nov 11, 2021
  3. Brink Win User
    Account Unknown has full Security permissions on my own User - huh?

Hello glnz, Removing "Account Unknown" from all permissions :)

You will see "Account Unknown" for an account that is not currently available. This could be from an account you deleted that had permissions, or from an account on another computer that is not connected.

Either way, it's safe to remove any listed "Account Unknown" entries in permissions if you are sure it's for an account that will no longer need permissions for the item.

Brink, Nov 11, 2021
  4. Vesao Win User

Remove account

I suggest you backup your personalized files first before removing the account.
    To delete an account, follow these steps:
    1. Press WIN + X keys and click Command Prompt (Admin) from the menu.
    2. Type the following command and press Enter. Replace test with the name of your sister's account. Code:

Vesao, Nov 11, 2021
Thema:

1. Removing "Account Unknown" from all permissions - Similar Threads - Removing Account Unknown

2. How to remove an Unknown Account that has Special permissions

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to remove an Unknown Account that has Special permissions: I really hope this can be fixed because it's stressful knowing there is someone who has full access to my computer and I'm unable to remove them due to it, despite being an administrator whenever I try to it says 'Access Denied' so I'm unsure on how to remove them, for the...
  3. How to remove an Unknown Account that has Special permissions

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to remove an Unknown Account that has Special permissions: I really hope this can be fixed because it's stressful knowing there is someone who has full access to my computer and I'm unable to remove them due to it, despite being an administrator whenever I try to it says 'Access Denied' so I'm unsure on how to remove them, for the...
  4. Account Unknown Under File Permissions

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Account Unknown Under File Permissions: Recently, in troubleshooting another issue, the support tech created a new local admin user "TEST" on my machine. I don't believe any file permissions were manually assigned. That did not address the problem, and they deleted the user. When I go to a file or directory and do...
  5. Account Unknown Under File Permissions

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Account Unknown Under File Permissions: Recently, in troubleshooting another issue, the support tech created a new local admin user "TEST" on my machine. I don't believe any file permissions were manually assigned. That did not address the problem, and they deleted the user. When I go to a file or directory and do...
  6. Removing "Account Unknown" from all permissions

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Removing "Account Unknown" from all permissions: I would like to clean up the permissions across my new Windows 11 build. There are a number of "Account Unknown" in the properties under the Security tab for a great number of items. These permissions can not be deleted or modified in any way, even though I am the...
  7. How can I remove persisting 'Acccount Unknown' SIDs in security permissions from all...

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    How can I remove persisting 'Acccount Unknown' SIDs in security permissions from all...: Hello, I had an issue with my main user account a while ago where the NTUSER.DAT file got corrupted somehow. The recommended fix was to create an entirely new user account and transfer everything, then delete the original using the built-in settings options. However, this...
  8. Remove unknown emails from user account

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Remove unknown emails from user account: On my wife's Windows 10 PC, she has or had a local account, while I have a windows account synced across several machines. We've just noticed that this appears to have been switched to a windows account, linked to a couple of email addresses, neither of which she recognises....
  9. I accidentally removed all permissions from "administrators"

in Windows 10 Customization
    I accidentally removed all permissions from "administrators": I was trying to give full access to "administators" from security tab for whole C drive. But, accidentally i removed all, so i cannot reach anything now. Even any folders or programs, i cannot press windows start button. I need to reset all permissions for all users I guess....
  10. Unknown account removal

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Unknown account removal: In a 'permissions' dialog an attempt to remove an UNKNOWN ACCOUNT prompts that inheritance first must be disabled. Two options are offered... 1) Convert inherited permissions to explicit permissions on this object 2) Remove all inherited permissions from the object...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. removing account unknown in file permissions

2. removing account unknown solved

3. Remove account Unknown Windows 10

4. how to remove unknown account from security properties on windows