Windows 10: Removing ALL Group Policy & reset to Windows 10 defaults

Discus and support Removing ALL Group Policy & reset to Windows 10 defaults in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I just bought a used desktop PC loaded with Windows 10 Pro on ebay. Apparently, it was pre-owned by a business, as it had Group Policy restrictions on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by MarieKarpinsky, Jul 7, 2020.

1. Removing ALL Group Policy & reset to Windows 10 defaults

I just bought a used desktop PC loaded with Windows 10 Pro on ebay. Apparently, it was pre-owned by a business, as it had Group Policy restrictions on it. I literally couldn't even check for Windows Updates or even bring up that Setting. I researched the internet and followed the advice I found on a webpage. I right-clicked on cmd.exe and ran as Administrator, and copied and pasted the following commands into the command box in an attempt to remove the existing group policy and reset to the default Windows settings: RD /S /Q "%WinDir%\System32\GroupPolicy", then hit enter, then RD /S /Q "%WinDir%\System32\GroupPolicyUsers", then hit enter, then gpupdate /force. After doing this, some of the policy restrictions were removed, while others remained. What's the easiest way to remove any remaining Group Policy settings? Although the above looks technical, I'm not a PC power user; I merely read a small paragraph on what to do and copied and pasted the commands. If I were to "Reset this PC", removing all settings, would that do the trick? Any comments, suggestions?

:)

MarieKarpinsky, Jul 7, 2020
  2. Allan Mej Win User

GROUP POLICIES IN WINDOWS 10

You can change Group Policies by opening Group Policy Editor first. You can open it by following these steps:

• Log in an administrator account. If you are already logged in as an administrator, proceed to step 2.
    • Press Windows + R to open Run.
    • Type gpedit.msc and press Enter.

After opening Group Policy Editor, you can now make the necessary changes that you want.

Should you have more concerns, feel free to post.

Regards.

Allan Mej, Jul 7, 2020
  3. GROUP POLICIES IN WINDOWS 10

Just what i needed thank you.

johnapplegateVV, Jul 7, 2020
  4. Removing ALL Group Policy & reset to Windows 10 defaults

Windows 10 error: "Windows couldn't connect to the Group Policy Client service. Please consult your system administrator"

Hi Rico,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community, we appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

I understand the inconvenience you are facing with accessing the operating system.

Do let us know the following to assist you better:

• Which edition of Windows Operating System are you using?
    • What all the troubleshooting steps have you performed?
    • Have you installed all the pending updates on your Operating System?
    • Have you installed any third-party anti-virus software on your system?

I suggest you to try few of the below troubleshooting steps and check if it helps.

I suggest you to Stop the Group Policy service, restart and set it to Automatic.

Group Policy Client service, this service is responsible for applying settings configured by administrators for the computers and users through the Group Policy component. If the service
    is disabled the settings will be applied and applications and components will not be manageable through Group Policy.

Step 1: Stop the Group Policy Client service.

• Press Windows Key + R on the keyboard and type
      services.msc
      , Services window gets opened.
    • Search for Group Policy Client service, right click on it and click on
      Stop.
    • Restart the computer.

Step 2: Start the service and set it to automatic:

• Press Windows Key + R on the keyboard and type
      services.msc
      , Services window gets opened.
    • Search for Group Policy Client service, right click on it and click on
      Properties.
    • Start the service, set
      Startup type to Automatic.

Hope it helps. Reply to the post with an updated status of this issue for further assistance.

Deepika Gowda, Jul 7, 2020
Thema:

Removing ALL Group Policy & reset to Windows 10 defaults

1. Removing ALL Group Policy & reset to Windows 10 defaults - Similar Threads - Removing Group Policy

2. remove group policy

in Windows 10 Gaming
    remove group policy: Dear Sir i want to remove the active directory group policy from certain PC but the problem that this pc had not been connected to network anymore https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/remove-group-policy/e1d1afb5-b735-44e3-bbdc-d5bdb2c30d76
  3. remove group policy

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    remove group policy: Dear Sir i want to remove the active directory group policy from certain PC but the problem that this pc had not been connected to network anymore https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/remove-group-policy/e1d1afb5-b735-44e3-bbdc-d5bdb2c30d76
  4. remove group policy

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Reset Group Policy to Defaults

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Reset Group Policy to Defaults: I am trying to reset the default group policies, Default Domain Controllers Policy and Default Domain Policy.When I run the dcgpofix /target:both with or without /ignoreschema I get the prompts "You are about to restore Default Domain Policy and Default Domain Controller...
  6. Reset Group Policy to Defaults

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Reset Group Policy to Defaults: I am trying to reset the default group policies, Default Domain Controllers Policy and Default Domain Policy.When I run the dcgpofix /target:both with or without /ignoreschema I get the prompts "You are about to restore Default Domain Policy and Default Domain Controller...
  7. Group Policy and the Default Printer

Group Policy and the Default Printer: I work at a library and we have computers for our patrons. I have manually installed 2 local printers, "a" and "b", on these public computers. They both use LPT1 as their port and they are not shared. I have created entries in Group Policy to delete unneeded printers, such...
  8. How Do I Reset Group Policy to Defaults in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How Do I Reset Group Policy to Defaults in Windows 10: I have a pc that is giving me a message that some settings are managed by the organization. These are: Disable Automatic Updates Source: Administrator Type: Group Policy Get updates for other Microsoft products Source: Administrator Type: Group Policy Set...
  9. reset group policies

reset group policies: I am getting the message "Some settings are managed by your organization" in windows update settings and "options to choose when updates are installed" are greyed out. Looking at "policies set on your device" several are listed, as Source: Administrator, and Type: "Group...
  10. Reset Local Group Policy Editor Settings to Default in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Reset Local Group Policy Editor Settings to Default in Windows 10: How to: Reset Local Group Policy Editor Settings to Default in Windows 10 How to Reset All Local Group Policy Settings to Default in Windows 10 [img] Information The Local Group Policy Editor (gpedit.msc) is a Microsoft Management Console (MMC) snap-in that provides a...