Windows 10: Removing CentOS Dual Boot

Discus and support Removing CentOS Dual Boot in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello! I have a Dell Precision 3551, which I dual booted to run CentOS 8 with Windows 10. Now that I don't need Linux, I needed to remove the dual... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by eb1064, Apr 13, 2021.

1. eb1064 Win User

Removing CentOS Dual Boot

Hello!

I have a Dell Precision 3551, which I dual booted to run CentOS 8 with Windows 10. Now that I don't need Linux, I needed to remove the dual boot. I deleted the partition and created Windows 10 installation media on a USB.

BUT...

After booting to my USB, going to the command prompt, and typing the following commands, I get:

bootrec/fixmbr -> the operation completed successfully

bootrec/fixboot -> Access is denied

bootrec/scanos -> Total identified Windows installations: 0

bootrec/rebuildbcd -> Total identified Windows installations: 0

When I unplug my USB and restart my computer, Windows 10 automatically starts, and everything seems to be working normally. Should I be concerned that the "total identified Windows installations" is 0? What does this actually mean? Do I need to do any other steps?

:)

eb1064, Apr 13, 2021

2. Can not detect windows 10 after installing centos 7

Hi Sachin,

Thank you for valuable response.

• What is the make and model of your system?
    I have no idea how to see that, & since i have only centos 7, it is not easy to find solution on it despite looking for google. Please let me know how to see that?..

still what i know is :

-Laptop model: Sony SVF15218

-Processor : Intel Core i5-3337U CPU @ 1.80 GHz x 4

-OS type : 64-bit OS(Both Centos 7 & Win 10)

-Graphics : Intel Ivybrigde Mobile & NVIDIA GT740M

-HDD : 500 GB

-RAM : 4 GB

• Since when are you using the dual boot?
    -I had windows 10 as as a single for almost 2 years. For study purpose i had to install linux (near suited to Red hate), i choose Centos 7 as it is free.

-I installed Centos 7 on 2nd January 2016.

-At that time i get help from google & successfully dual-boot as windows 10 shows as windows boot manager & centos. (I can switch between them any time from grub menu.)

- Due to lack of wifi adapter in centos, while installing packages something went wrong & i had very limited access to centos, so reinstalled centos 7 around 15 days after successful dual-boot(18th Jan) (performed same steps to install as i did the first
    time) & since then my in the grub menu i can only see centos.

-I tried install centos 7 2-3 time after tha to see windows in grub menu, & i testes/altered almost everything in centos but found out that my windows is somehow not detected by grub.

• Did you check in msconfig regarding the boot menus, are you getting both the Windows and Linux Boot loader menus?
    - Since i am using linux i have no idea how to do in windows.

- But i played with centos's grub menu lot of time since missing windows bot manager in grub i am (99%) sure that there is something wrong with windows grub detection.

Hope i find solution soon...

Thank you...

Utsav D. H.Bhatt, Apr 13, 2021
  3. Upgrading to Windows 10 on Dual boot Windows 7 with CentOS 6.5

I have Windows 7 installed alongside CentOS6.5. I have applied for free upgrade to Windows 10. Will my CentOS 6.5 partition remain as it is and I will be able to boot into CentOS 6.5? There is enough space for Windows 10 to get installed on hard drive.
    But I am worried about CentOS 6.5. My machine had originally Windows 8. But I had a very tough time installing CentOS 6.5. I had to remove Windows 8, install Windows 7 and then only CntOS 6.5 could install. Will Windows 10 treat CentOS 6.5 the same way as
    Windows 8?

AshokKumar Harnal, Apr 13, 2021
  4. Removing CentOS Dual Boot

Upgrading to Windows 10 on Dual boot Windows 7 with CentOS 6.5

I upgraded from win 7 to 10, and have centos 6.5. After the upgrade, everything still works as set up. I think this is the first version of window NOT to remove grub and make windows boot "at all costs". My centos is still the primary boot on grub. I have
    a normal bios and MBR, not UEFI. It is a 4 year old i5 with 8GB ram.

Win 10 seems to be a bit faster than 7, although I admit, I use Centos more than windows. The upgrade took a few hours of prep to download what it needed, and a little over an hour to install.

JamesHammer, Apr 13, 2021
Thema:

Removing CentOS Dual Boot

1. Removing CentOS Dual Boot - Similar Threads - Removing CentOS Dual

2. Help me to remove dual boot ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Help me to remove dual boot ?: So actually I had to install Ubuntu but not on dual boot so what happened when my work was die o tried to reinstall windows 11 using a bootable usb when the process ended it took me to a screen where it asked me to choose one operating system windows on volume 3 or windows...
  3. Help me to remove dual boot ?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Help me to remove dual boot ?: So actually I had to install Ubuntu but not on dual boot so what happened when my work was die o tried to reinstall windows 11 using a bootable usb when the process ended it took me to a screen where it asked me to choose one operating system windows on volume 3 or windows...
  4. Remove Linux Dual Boot issue

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Remove Linux Dual Boot issue: Hello, so I want to remove my linux dual boot and so I tried to follow this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWe9zlSmzjA The issue is when I get to do the bootrec /fixmbr command it comes up with "The system cannot find the file specified" My current dual boot...
  5. How to remove dual boot mode?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to remove dual boot mode?: As the title says, how do you remove the dual boot? I've had phoenix os installed a long time ago but, I deleted last year but up to now I'm still getting the dual boot mode and I don't have the phoenix os on my laptop anymore not even the files. I've done several things...
  6. Dual boot remove

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Dual boot remove: Hi ...anyone help me to remove window 10 and kali dual boot...i want only windows 10 [ Moved from: Mobile devices / Other Windows mobile devices / Settings / Other/Unknown ]...
  7. Dual boot for Win 10, Win 7 and Centos.

Dual boot for Win 10, Win 7 and Centos.: I would like to install 3 operative system (win 10 - win 7 and centos ) on the same HD in dual boot system. I would like to keep as much as possible the OS separate (no interference) each other and more stable possible. What will be the best way to do it? I should use an...
  8. Remove Ubuntu dual-boot

Remove Ubuntu dual-boot: I currently have a Surface Pro 1 with Windows 10 that also has Ubuntu installed on it as well. I would like to remove Ubuntu and restore the default Windows boot manager. Right now, it's currently doing a Windows 10 reset (Remove all files from all drives and clean them),...
  9. Remove dual boot - Ubuntu

Remove dual boot - Ubuntu: Hi, I am running Widows 10 on a UEFI/EFI/GPT system. I'd like to try and install a Linux OS on another partition. Installing is not a problem my question relates to if I decide to remove Ubuntu, how will I repair my Window's bootloader? I've been doing a lot of reading on...
  10. Cleaning up removal of Dual Boot with Ubuntu

Cleaning up removal of Dual Boot with Ubuntu: I set up Ubuntu in dual boot with Win 10 and tried to replace it with Mint, which failed at installation. I then had a "grub rescue" prompt regardless of what I tried. I fixed the mbr by booting from Win 7 .iso and running Bootrec /fixmbr. I can now boot into Win 10...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. remove centos from dual boot