Windows 10: Removing 'Cut' and 'Create shortcut' from context menus

Discus and support Removing 'Cut' and 'Create shortcut' from context menus in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Does anybody know how, if it's eve possible, to remove 'Cut' and 'Create shortcut' from the context menu for files and folders?! TIA! 36836 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by AntonAnton, Jan 9, 2016.

1. Removing 'Cut' and 'Create shortcut' from context menus

Does anybody know how, if it's eve possible, to remove 'Cut' and 'Create shortcut' from the context menu for files and folders?!

TIA!

:)

AntonAnton, Jan 9, 2016
  2. Shawn 'Cmdr' Keene [MVP], Jan 9, 2016
  3. windows 10 desktop icon context menus

(Windows 10 with Anniversary Update, patched up to date.) Following installation of Anniversary Update I have 2 context menu issues. When I right-click a desktop shortcut the context menu appears but Open, Run As Administrator, and Pin to Start don't work
    - e.g., the app won't launch and it won't pin to the Start Menu (but it will pin to Taskbar). On the other hand, Cut, Copy, Delete, and Properties do work. It doesn't matter which shortcut I try, and this all worked before the upgrade. Also the Win-X menu
    pops open, but none of those choices work either except the 4 bottom ones - Desktop, Shutdown, Run, and Search. Again, if the choice is to run a program, there may be a momentary spinner, but nothing starts up. The shortcuts only launch if I double-click,
    and the context menus seem to work from inside the Start list (including creating a tile and pinning to the Start Menu from there.

I've tried different Google searches, but none of the hits quite describe my issues. One of the postings that came close suggested running a utility called ShellExView. I disabled all 7 suspect non-MS context menus it identified, but that made no difference.
    So, can anybody help?

WarrenClearfield, Jan 9, 2016
  4. b1rd Win User

Removing 'Cut' and 'Create shortcut' from context menus

Hey AntonAnton-
    I was curious, so I did some checking. It does look like it's possible, although perhaps a bit involved. See HERE. (I only briefed the thread, so I'm not even certain your question was fully answered)

5. I don't know why I didn't think to check sevenforum. Thanks so much for the heads up. You're awesome.

AntonAnton, Jan 11, 2016
  6. eugenesv Win User
    I've tried to remove cut/copy/paste/rename (changed 4 shell32.dll.mui files in
    • System32_en-GB
    • SysWOW64-en-GB
    • WinSxS\amd64...
    • WinSxS\x86...
    There were two 385 Byte (vs 389 Kb for the other 4 files) in the WinSxS folder which Resource Hacker wouldn't open, but they're too tiny to hold any menu information.
    I've the following Menu items: 210, 216 and even 394 (where I found another instance of cut/copy), but to no avail.
    I've run mcbuilder after making these changes and replacing the files, but after reboot I still have those items in the context menu in Explorer *Sad

Update: also removed Create Shortcut from the menus just in case, no luck
    Any ideas on what else I can do to finally get rid of those functions cluttering my context menu? Thank you

eugenesv, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Removing 'Cut' and 'Create shortcut' from context menus

1. Removing 'Cut' and 'Create shortcut' from context menus - Similar Threads - Removing 'Cut' 'Create

2. No Full-Context Menus?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    No Full-Context Menus?: I've upgraded to the new Windows 11 and I wanted to move the taskbar to the top, But all I see is a useless "Taskbar Settings" Button. Do you think theseare messy popups? They are not. So is there an official way to make these full context?...
  3. No Full-Context Menus?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    No Full-Context Menus?: I've upgraded to the new Windows 11 and I wanted to move the taskbar to the top, But all I see is a useless "Taskbar Settings" Button. Do you think theseare messy popups? They are not. So is there an official way to make these full context?...
  4. Can Snip & Sketch be removed from Open With context menus?

Can Snip & Sketch be removed from Open With context menus?: Recently, I've noticed that whenever I want to open an image file (.jpg, .gif, .bmp, .png, .ico, ...) to edit it in one of my programs (not just to view it), and I use the Open With context menu command, where my various image editors are listed, Snip & Sketch is in the list...
  5. Taskbar shortcuts' context menus diminished

in Windows 10 Support
    Taskbar shortcuts' context menus diminished: Win10 Pro (20H2, says winver). Updated from 2004; visually unchanged, including taskbar. Taskbar shortcuts' context menus are less useful, containing only - unpin - close (if referenced program is running). Formerly the menu contained also the name, whose submenu...
  6. How To Remove Winamp Context [Right-Click] Menus?

How To Remove Winamp Context [Right-Click] Menus?: hello*Smile After right clicking an MP3 file, I get: Add to Winamp's Bookmark List https://s16.picofile.com/file/8413474684/454878.png How do I remove these? Please create a registry file Thanks 168076
  7. How To Remove Winamp Context [Right-Click] Menus?

in Windows 10 Support
    How To Remove Winamp Context [Right-Click] Menus?: hello*Smile After right clicking an MP3 file, I get: Add to Winamp's Bookmark List https://s16.picofile.com/file/8413474684/454878.png How do I remove these? Please create a registry file Thanks 168076
  8. Context Menus - (Inconsistencies)

in Windows 10 Customization
    Context Menus - (Inconsistencies): If you're not keen on the 'larger' spacing on some Explorer right click context menus, or, have applied a different 'text size' and, perhaps applied 'Bold' but find that the modifications do not adhere, here's a quick Registry modification to fix that. If you are...
  9. Create Shortcut on context menu

in Windows 10 Customization
    Create Shortcut on context menu: Is there a way to take "Desktop - Create Shortcut" from the send to menu and put it on the top menu? 96298
  10. Remove Context Menus from START MENU Icons

in Windows 10 Support
    Remove Context Menus from START MENU Icons: Please be aware that setting the group policy option: "Remove Access to the Context Menus for the Taskbar" to "Enabled", in Windows 10, does NOT work. This Group Policy setting is located at: User Configuration > Administrative Templates > Start Menu & Taskbar It is...