Windows 10: Removing duplicate files

Discus and support Removing duplicate files in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I don't trust free duplicate file finders. Is there a way to find and delete duplicate files easily from a folder in Windows 10 that does not require... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by patagriff, Jan 21, 2016.

1. patagriff Win User

Removing duplicate files

I don't trust free duplicate file finders. Is there a way to find and delete duplicate files easily from a folder in Windows 10 that does not require using another program?

:)

patagriff, Jan 21, 2016
  2. JimWynne Win User

duplicate file removal

It would be good if when posting you were to add some white space (use paragraphs) because not doing so makes it harder to read. Also, the first picture below is a CPU and the second is a computer. A computer is not a CPU and a CPU is not a computer.

Removing duplicate files [​IMG]

Removing duplicate files [​IMG]

As to your issue, I would be wary of any duplicate-file finder when it appears that you might have quite a mess on your hands. If a program is reporting in excess of 100,000 potential duplicates, there's no way anyone can evaluate that and decide which
    are safe to delete. You would probably benefit from backing up your data and doing a clean installation of the operating system.

JimWynne, Jan 21, 2016
  3. duplicate file removal

Hi Robert,

I realize that you want a recommendation for a safe free duplicate file remover. I will try to help you with this issue.

You may want to search the Windows Store for any such app which might help you in this matter. You may also use your favorite search engine to search for any 3rd party software which might help you.

Important: This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information
    found on these sites; therefore, Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. There are inherent dangers in the use of any software found on the Internet, and Microsoft
    cautions you to make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any software from the Internet.

If you feel that there might be some virus infection in your computer, then
    I suggest you to run a full computer virus scan to ensure the computer is free from virus. It is not advisable to access the registry before the virus scan is done. Ensure to install any pending updates on the computer and remember to restart the system.

A fast way to check whether your PC has a virus is to use Windows Defender. This malware protection is included with Windows and helps identify and remove viruses, spyware, and other malicious software. Once this is done you may also check for any
    pending updates and install the same to see if that helps.

How do I find and remove a virus?:
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows-10/getstarted-protect-your-pc

Note: There could be a loss of data while performing a scan using Microsoft safety scanner to eliminate virus if any.

For issues related to your Microsoft account you may run the Microsoft account troubleshooter and check if that helps. The Microsoft Account Troubleshooter scans the Windows 10 system for issues and repairs problems that are found
    in relation to your Microsoft Account.

How to Troubleshoot Microsoft Account Issues: http://social.technet.microsoft.com...to-troubleshoot-microsoft-account-issues.aspx

Keep us informed to help you further.

Srimadhwa B, Jan 21, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Removing duplicate files

dalchina, Jan 21, 2016
  5. dmesal Win User
    If I May you could use ccleaner's duplicate finder i use it on my external drive (not C drive) just to weed out most of my junk (my C is only for programs and OS)

dmesal, Oct 21, 2016
  6. Neemobeer Win User
    Hashing is a good idea since hash algorthims look at file data and not the meta data. Here is a powershell script I put together which should move all duplicates to a folder called "Duplicates" then you can just delete the folder.
    Code: path = "C:\Path\Root\Seach" $duplicates = "$path\Duplicates" New-Item $duplicates -ItemType Directory $files = Get-ChildItem -Path $path -File $fileHashes = @() foreach($file in $files) { $thisFileHash = Get-FileHash -Algorithm SHA256 -Path $file.FullName if ($fileHashes.Count -eq 0) { $fileHashes += @($thisFileHash.Hash) } else { $isDuplicate = $false foreach ($fileHash in $fileHashes) { if($fileHash -eq $thisFileHash.Hash) { $isDuplicate = $true break } } if($isDuplicate) { Move-Item -Path $file.FullName -Destination "$($duplicates)\$($file.Name)" } else { $fileHashes += @($thisFileHash.Hash) } } }[/quote]

Neemobeer, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Removing duplicate files

1. Removing duplicate files - Similar Threads - Removing duplicate files

2. remove duplicate photos

in Windows 10 Gaming
    remove duplicate photos: How do I remove duplicate photos? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/remove-duplicate-photos/e4a289b1-8239-4bd8-8cd8-f5d0e2d7ae96
  3. Best software to remove duplicate files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Best software to remove duplicate files: Hi there,First time posting... wondering if anyone had recommendations of an app or software that will allow me to search for duplicate files. I have lots of images and files and they need a mega sort!Thank you in advanceAmina...
  4. Removing duplicate programs

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Removing duplicate programs: One of my system management apps (Wise) seems to list duplicates of a few of my installed programs., one example is Mighty Text which seems to have more than a half dozen copies. Most other utilities such as uninstallers and file managers are only showing the one copy. I have...
  5. Best software / method of removing duplicate files

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Best software / method of removing duplicate files: So I want to clean out my family’s Photo folder on our hard drive, mainly by removing duplicate photos from multiple imports over the years. However, there are over 1000 files in the folder, and there’s no way I’m sifting through all of those, so I went online to find a “file...
  6. remove duplicate photos

remove duplicate photos: How do I remove duplicate photos from my computer. I'm on Windows 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/remove-duplicate-photos/c74792c1-cfd3-4e0f-853b-9a35905be29d
  7. Duplicate File Removal App.

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Duplicate File Removal App.: Is there an app that will remove only duplicate files? I have tried a couple but when deleting listed duplicate files the original files are also deleted. I am therefore trying to find an app which will delete duplicate files but NOT delete the originals.e...
  8. Find and remove duplicated files

Find and remove duplicated files: Use the app " Duplicated file remover“, Scan a hard disk. After a few hours, the screen shows conflict info "scanning duplicated 100%" and "remaining one file" for more than two hours. What should I do?. Wait more or cancel it....
  9. OK to Remove Duplicate Files?

in Windows 10 Support
    OK to Remove Duplicate Files?: I used CCleaner to identify duplicate files on my Win10 system. It came up with 100s of them, but what I noticed is each duplicate is in a separate folder - appears in all cases, one of the folders is a sub-folder of the other. Most of the files are .dll, but there are also...
  10. Duplicate File Remover won't unlock

Duplicate File Remover won't unlock: Downloaded from MS Store, Purchased advanced option, Still shows as LOCKED Am I missing something or is this a fraud? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/duplicate-file-remover-wont-unlock/6e3afe8f-45d2-41c8-8272-667a409e35dd