Windows 10: Removing Extended Partition

Discus and support Removing Extended Partition in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; We did a fresh install of Windows 10 on a computer. When it came to the point of deciding what to do to the existing partitions, we attempted to delete... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by johnpd, Jan 18, 2018.

1. johnpd Win User

Removing Extended Partition

We did a fresh install of Windows 10 on a computer. When it came to the point of deciding what to do to the existing partitions, we attempted to delete all partitions and end up with on unallocated partition. However there were two partitions which we could not remove so we went ahead and did the installation on the remaining partition which was the largest. We would like to remove this extended partition and combine it with the remaining unallocated space to make a second partition, but we are unsure as to how to do this. When we attempted to delete the "extended" partition, we got a nasty message. Is there some way to do this using the standard Windows Disk Management or do we need Diskpart or some third party software. I have attached the Disk Management display. The partition indicated as "Free space" is the extended partition. This is an older legacy boot computer.

JohnD

:)

johnpd, Jan 18, 2018
  2. GordonB-P Win User

Ruined SD Card

Open Disk Management and view the SD card. Hopefully your SD card will show unallocated space. Format that, then remove the partition and extend the 128mb partition to take up the whole card.

GordonB-P, Jan 18, 2018
  3. Jaqenh'ar Win User
    Failure of feature update 1607 (Anniversary Update) ....it was showing we couldn't update the system reserved partition ...please help to solve this

If it’s a GPT disk, it doesn't have a system reserved partition but efi partition. On MBR disk, Windows 10 requires a 500MB system reserved partition, while 100MB in Windows 7, so you can try to extend system reserved partition.

<removed link>

Jaqenh'ar, Jan 18, 2018
  4. topgundcp Win User

From admin command, type:
    diskpart
    select disk 0
    list par
    exit

Post the result

EDIT: you'll see 2 partitions: 1 is Extended and the other is Logical. You'd need to delete the logical partition first
    diskpart
    select disk 0
    select par # where # is associated with the Logical partition.
    delete par

Next, do the same for the extended partition.

topgundcp, Jan 18, 2018
  5. Steve C Win User
    You could use the excellent free MiniTool Partition Wizard to sort this out. Delete the 11.39 unallocated partition then extend partition C: to use up the free space. Make a backup first in case something goes wrong.

Steve C, Jan 19, 2018
  6. johnpd Win User
    I won't have access to the computer until Saturday afternoon. Will post Diskpart results then. I saw that MiniTool Partition Wizard and downloaded it. Looks good.

JohnD

johnpd, Jan 19, 2018
  7. johnpd Win User
    I did not get a chance to get at it until today. I tried the MiniTool Partition Wizard. That is a great piece of software. I decided to just make one big "C" drive instead of having a second partition. When I brought up the Partition Wizard, it displayed those two other partitions as one great big unallocated area instead of "Free space" and "Unallocated". I ran the "Resize" option on the "C" partition telling it to add the entire 250GB unallocated area. When I clicked "Apply", it rebooted the computer, did its thing, and I came back with an almost 600GB "C" drive. From what I understand, we may have deleted the underlying "logical" drive assigned to the "extended" drive. Windows Disk Management then displays this as "Free space". We initially tried to delete this area, but received a message that the area would become "unusable" so we were not sure what would happen if we deleted it. But using the MiniTool PW, it made it very simple.Thanks for your help.

JohnD

johnpd, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Removing Extended Partition - Similar Threads - Removing Extended Partition

2. Unable to extend partition

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to extend partition: I am aware that the unallocated space must be immediately after the partition that I want to extend. The default Windows application cannot move partitions, and I prefer not to use third-party apps.I want to implement the solution provided here first answer. But in my case,...
  3. Unable to extend partition

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Unable to extend partition: I am aware that the unallocated space must be immediately after the partition that I want to extend. The default Windows application cannot move partitions, and I prefer not to use third-party apps.I want to implement the solution provided here first answer. But in my case,...
  4. extending a harddrive partition

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    extending a harddrive partition: i recently partitioned a drive on accident and wanted to delete the partition. all i get is greyed out. can anyone help me. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/extending-a-harddrive-partition/d458fe6e-0515-4b20-bbc1-cc7dc98e0e9f
  5. Trouble Extending Partition

Trouble Extending Partition: I had ubuntu installed on my PC in dual boot. I delete ubuntu using DISKPART command. But, when I try to extend my HDD space using Disk Management tool, on right clicking, it shows only 'Help' and no 'Extend Volume' option. Please share me with the details how to successfully...
  6. Extend partition

Extend partition: [img] I am planning to replace my HDD with an SSD. I will image the HDD and then restore to the SSD. I have a OEM Recovery partition that I would like to delete after the image has been restored to the SSD. However, I would then like to move the 980MB and extend my C drive...
  7. Extending Primary Partition

Extending Primary Partition: Hi. I noticed my recovery partition was eating up a good 24 GB of my SSD, so I deleted it in Disk Management. However, the Extend Volume option on the primary partition is greyed out, so I am still unable to access the unallocated 24 GB. What must I do to as these 24 GB to my...
  8. Extending Disk Partition

Extending Disk Partition: I have reinstalled my Windows on my system switching back from ubuntu. After installing the windows on my PC the Hard disk SSD have partitioned in a weird manner. I have a got a 4.47 GB space at the start of the disk and the EFI partition and then the local disk partition of...
  9. Extend Disk partition

Extend Disk partition: Hi i want to extend disk my c drive with a free 48 gb space. but i cannot do that. The extend option is greyed out and i cannot also delete the free disk space. pictures of it are bellow. Please help me increase the disk space. Thank you.[ATTACH]...
  10. Unable to Extend Partition

Unable to Extend Partition: I hope someone can help. Since upgrading to Windows 10 I have had to keep extending the primary partition, now up to 250Gb and full. I do have free capacity on another partition from which I have been taking spare capacity with any problems so far, but the partition tool...